Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety Purchases

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are we really doing this again???? 30 posts in 20 hours sure makes it look like we are( crap, I made it 31) Can't wait to see how far this one goes...

Oh yeah, back on topic...

Hans. Capital Period. (can you do a capital period??)
Old 04-11-2007, 12:00 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug Fehan once called the Hans "a good start"

Old 04-11-2007, 12:09 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 575 Posts

You do get used to the limitation in side to side movement, but if you do go off it may be hard to see the corner workers in order to go back on a hot track. You need to be careful with other things getting caught in the tethers however- during the last race of the season last fall I somehow got the radio cable caught in the tether (as it plugs into my helmet near the HANS struts) and I couldn't turn my head to the right at all- needless to say that drove me nuts!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:35 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mnorek
Van, I'm not an expert here, but my HANS and helmet were set up for me by someone who is, and there is a much greater degree of movement than you mention and certainly no vibrating. You may want to have that checked out to make sure it is properly set up.
For what it's worth, I was trying to turn my head about 60 degrees to the left to look out the driver's window (it's a pretty sharp turn).
Old 04-11-2007, 07:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorris3
Are we really doing this again???? 30 posts in 20 hours sure makes it look like we are( crap, I made it 31) Can't wait to see how far this one goes...
Historically, there are 2 topics that have this effect:
1. Oil viscosity discussions
2. H&N restraints.
Both can turn into a 'jihad' in the blink of an eye.

FWIW, a specific personal safety device (such as a H&N restraint) is something I would never recommend as it's far too personal of a decision; rather just reference information/past discussion and let the person make their own decision.
FWIW#2, I purchased a HANS and an ISAAC and may purchase the Hutchens II Pro (just boguht a Leatt GPX for my son in karting to replace his foam neck collar...) ......just to see what the different devices are like, try them in a car and eventually wear the one I feel the most confident in.

Oh yeah, back on topic...
Hans. Capital Period. (can you do a capital period??)
Somewhere there is an 800# gorilla in the room.....smiling.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:23 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
For what it's worth, I was trying to turn my head about 60 degrees to the left to look out the driver's window (it's a pretty sharp turn).
Van;

If you carefully study what you are doing physically when you experience this tether restriction, you will likely find that you are scrunching your head down and forward in a "seriously intent racer mode." When you find this to be the case, and you look for a solution, it should then come to you that if you sit more relaxed, with your head perfectly upright and directly over your shoulders, that will have the effect of slackening the tethers, giving you essentially complete range of motion.

Once I discovered this, I found that I can easily attain 180* head movement side-to-side.

HANS Device promotes Relaxation and Good Posture!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Van;

If you carefully study what you are doing physically when you experience this tether restriction, you will likely find that you are scrunching your head down and forward in a "seriously intent racer mode." When you find this to be the case, and you look for a solution, it should then come to you that if you sit more relaxed, with your head perfectly upright and directly over your shoulders, that will have the effect of slackening the tethers, giving you essentially complete range of motion.

Once I discovered this, I found that I can easily attain 180* head movement side-to-side.

HANS Device promotes Relaxation and Good Posture!
Good point John. I've learned to tilt my head back as far as it will go and then turn. I find I have a much greater degree of movement. It's easy to get caught in the old habit of tilt forward and turn to look at your side mirror or out the window directly to avoid the B pillar which is the worst thing you can do with a HANS on.

BTW, someone posted about this mirror earlier in the week which might be helpful. I've ordered one to try out.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=82020
Old 04-11-2007, 10:28 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
Thanks.
Anytime, sir. We are here to serve.

Gregg Baker, P.E.
Chief Gorilla Buster
Isaac, LLC
Old 04-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sjanes

^ Nice.

I have the quick disconnect on my Hans and have had no issues with tangles, and the side to side movement isn't a problem either. The only time you notice it is when you are sitting on the grid and the grid girls are walking by and you are trying to check them out!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

... the side to side movement isn't a problem either. The only time you notice it is when you are sitting on the grid and the grid girls are walking by and you are trying to check them out!

Doh.... I frigging hate it when that happens.

BTW... I have to agree with many of the comments about getting used to the HANS. It is actually alot more comfortable that I anticipated. Once I got used to it and the made the adjustments to my car (seat position, mirrors, harness, window net) and routine for getting in/out it has become very easy to live with. I really expected it to be alot more restrictive in the car than it has been. Once belted in and driving it has zero effect on me. I do second the issue of limited vision when getting back on track after an off, but I have learned to simply turn the car at little more to make up for the lost rotation of my head.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
Historically, there are 2 topics that have this effect:
1. Oil viscosity discussions
2. H&N restraints.
Both can turn into a 'jihad' in the blink of an eye.
You forgot:
3. Tow vehicle discussions.

Back on topic: if you ever plan on sitting in the right seat of cars (either instructing or doing a lot of ride-alongs with instructors), you should consider a head and neck restraint device that can be used with various safety belts / systems. While some may argue that a H&N restraint system may not be as effective without a 5/6 point harness, I'd rather have something that keeps my neck and head in close proximity to each other regardless of what type of belts I'm using.

-Z
Old 04-11-2007, 11:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
You forgot:
3. Tow vehicle discussions.
-Z
You're right, my bad.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought an Isaac.

Marc
Old 04-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I bought an Isaac.

Marc
Congratualtions on your purchase, any type of protection is better than no protection ( ) Now that this thread discussion is over, can we get it closed so it doesn't keep snowballing...
Old 04-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Congratualtions on your purchase, any type of protection is better than no protection ( ) Now that this thread discussion is over, can we get it closed so it doesn't keep snowballing...
But wait -- I heard the Isaac system works best with 10W-40 oil, while the Hans and R3's prefer 15W-50. But if you have a new Powerstroke 6.3l in your Porsche hauler, it is best you use synthetic oils, regardless of what H&N system you use -- it seems to minimize exhaust fires.

-Z

Quick Reply: Safety Purchases