Sponsored by:

Top Forced Air Helmet opinions sought

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 06:38 PM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Top Forced Air Helmet opinions sought

I just had my new Cool Suit air and water system artfully installed (no pictures yet) at Conway Autoworks and need to buy a new helmet. Because of the HANS, radio connections, etc. and one of the few benefits of my shorter frame, lots of clearance, I have decided upon a top-air helmet.

Below is a list of the helmets I am considering. I understand that fit is king, but I cannot find helmets to try on/test. So, I need to special/mail order a helmet (obviously from someone with a return policy). I am also a pretty accomplished sweat-er, so my questions are:

(a) Which top-forced-air helmet do you use and/or recommend?

(b) I am concerned about vapor picked up from my sweaty head fogging up my glasses, so would think that helmets like the Impact Spider with forced air vents below the shield help limit this possibility. Any knowledgeable opinions?

Bell Vortex TFA $765
Impact Spider $599
Impact SuperSport Air $424
Simpson Shark Air Inforcer $799

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 04-07-2007, 07:22 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a side forced air Bell Vortex, even with all the equipment you note, for whatever that is worth.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:29 PM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Thanks, that's good to know, it just seemed like a lot of stuff connecting on the left. How do you like the Vortex, would you buy it again? Did you try out others?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:51 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I use a side forced air Bell Vortex, even with all the equipment you note, for whatever that is worth.
Charlie,
Do you have a HANS? I was setting up my new top FA Vortex last night and the proper mounting point for the HANS anchors were right on top of a ridge. I ended up putting the anchors an inch further forward which I'm sure is ok but not perfect.

Other than that problem, the helmet seems great.
Jim
Old 04-07-2007, 08:32 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The new CF Stand 21 forced air also comes with asymmetrical HANS anchor points...they said their positioning was HANS approved. I am also looking for a new helmet and have not previously had problems with the side mounted tubes and a HANS.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:28 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
Charlie,
Do you have a HANS? I was setting up my new top FA Vortex last night and the proper mounting point for the HANS anchors were right on top of a ridge. I ended up putting the anchors an inch further forward which I'm sure is ok but not perfect.

Other than that problem, the helmet seems great.
Jim
Absolutely have a HANS. I didn't think a lot about it since Bob Kakasick at Stable Energies installed my anchors before I even brought the helmet home.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:04 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many new top of the line helmets come predrilled for Hans. Stand 21, Arai for sure. One thing to consider is top or side feed. I noticed bell has top feed. Maybe someone who uses this type will share their impressions?
Old 04-08-2007, 02:26 AM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

I have Stand 21 Air Force helmet and absolutely love it. It's lightweight, comfy and dual purpose (you can use it as a full face w/visor or open face). Helmet comes preset for HANS device. It has a vertical air tube connector on the right side which splits inside the helmet and air blows from the back and the front. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but for the long run...
Mike
Old 04-08-2007, 03:24 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Absolutely have a HANS. I didn't think a lot about it since Bob Kakasick at Stable Energies installed my anchors before I even brought the helmet home.
If you have a chance could you see if the anchors are in front of the ridge or behind. I'm just curious. Thanks. Jim
Old 04-08-2007, 08:22 AM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Leif and Mike,

Thanks for the idea re: Stand21--the vertical mounting looks like a happy medium--would you mind sharing your cost and source(s)--TRG?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 04-08-2007, 10:45 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mnorek
Leif and Mike,

Thanks for the idea re: Stand21--the vertical mounting looks like a happy medium--would you mind sharing your cost and source(s)--TRG?

Thanks,
Michael
The Stand 21 reps are usually at the HSR and Pro events....they were having a special on the 2005 helmets but these will have their certification expire in a couple of years. The 2010 helmets are still full price. they are so light they feel like you can poke your finger through them!...I will probably go with the Stand 21 but I have recently seen a black CF helmet from Simpson with top air in RACER magazine...I would like to see it in person before I decide.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:45 PM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leif997
The Stand 21 reps are usually at the HSR and Pro events....they were having a special on the 2005 helmets but these will have their certification expire in a couple of years. The 2010 helmets are still full price. they are so light they feel like you can poke your finger through them!...I will probably go with the Stand 21 but I have recently seen a black CF helmet from Simpson with top air in RACER magazine...I would like to see it in person before I decide.
IIRC, SA2010 won't be out until 2010 so I don't understand their 2010 reference--am I missing something? Do you know what the cost would be, roughly, on a forced air Stand21? Sube has non-air helmets shown as $1k-1.1k, so I'm guessing a couple hundred more for air. Sound right?
Old 04-08-2007, 01:09 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Apex Performance they are a RL sponsor. I'm sure they have an exchange policy for helmets. They don't list Stand 21 but, I bet they sell them.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:47 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

I've got mine from Jim at ApexSPG.com (http://www.apexspg.com). Jim is a fellow PCA racer and a very nice guy w/great customer service. The helmet was somewhere around $1300 and it's a custom build (you'll have to come up with your head measurements). What can I say? I'm happy with it. It does have a different feel then other helmets, I think because of different paddings (more firmer). Most people expect a soft cushion feel from padding when they try it on. It took me 15 min to get used to it. I should admit that Stand 21 has a great support at the track. At Sebring I had a headache on one side of my head, came up to Stand 21 trailer and ask them to check my helmet. I thought that one of the pads misplaced (all pads on velcro and removable). Guys replaced several pads w/new ones at no charge. Later I realized that headache was from one of my earplugs. At Atlanta I was installing a drink hose and came up to Stand 21 trailer (different guys from Sebring). They found that foam pad where mic is attached to is cracked (thanks to radio guy for proper mic installation), replaced w/new one (transferred mic and wires) and again no cost. I feel like money well spent up front. My 02 cents.
Mike
Old 04-08-2007, 09:37 PM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Randy, Mike, and all, I appreciate the info and sources, I will check them out.

Michael

Quick Reply: Top Forced Air Helmet opinions sought