Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn Texas DE'ers: change in insurance law impacts DE and track day coverage

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

I will slowly build up to it, especially the torque.

Trust me.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:20 PM
dsmith
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i "hypothetically" asked state farm about liability only insurance on a street legal race car for when it's driven on the street. they said absolutely not. yikes.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Greg, take a look at the recent threads here about DE insurance. I just signed up with Snellings Walters with $35,000 in coverage for about $1,000 a year with a $2,000 deductible (unlimited number of DE days).
Do they handle Club Race coverage also? I'm good until August with American Collectors but will be looking for new coverage to pick up after then.. and it wouldn't be a bad idea to have coverage for racing....
Old 04-07-2007, 12:43 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The good news for me is that my old policy applies through April which means that it will still be in effect at the April 14 DE at MSR. Look for me in the Green Group. I should be easy to spot... I'll be the one in a cloud of dust about 50 yards off of the track.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Do they handle Club Race coverage also? I'm good until August with American Collectors but will be looking for new coverage to pick up after then.. and it wouldn't be a bad idea to have coverage for racing....
This policy doesn't cover racing, but they do cover racing under a different policy. I'm waiting to hear back on it, I'll let you know.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:36 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
The good news for me is that my old policy applies through April which means that it will still be in effect at the April 14 DE at MSR. Look for me in the Green Group. I should be easy to spot... I'll be the one in a cloud of dust about 50 yards off of the track.
I met you out at Eagle Creek a while back, (I was in a MINI that day). I've got a garage at MSR, and my wife and I are both driving that weekend. Come visit and hang out. Look for her Dark Silver MINI and my black C4S. The garage is one row south of PST.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:16 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by David 23
Come visit and hang out. Look for her Dark Silver MINI and my black C4S. The garage is one row south of PST.
David, will do. I remember you at ECR with the Mini. I even got a few photos of you and the other mini running laps at ECR. Thanks for the invite, I'll find you guys. I'm new to the MSR crowd so I'm like the new kid at school that doesn't know anyone!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:50 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg,
Sent you a PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Maybe I'm naive, but I assumed it was that way with my insurance (Allstate) already. Pretty much, you'd be on your own if you have a mishap at the track.

I know that it used to be non-timed events were covered, and PCA has always stressed DE's were just that, but with the amount of people taking cars to the track nowadays, the insurance companies didn't take long to catch on.

I'd signed up for the April DE, but since I toasted my motor at MSR a couple of weeks ago, I'm out. I got the engine out today, I start teardown next week. Have fun!!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:29 AM
JayP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I know that it used to be non-timed events were covered, and PCA has always stressed DE's were just that, but with the amount of people taking cars to the track nowadays, the insurance companies didn't take long to catch on.
A lot has changed in 10 years. A 300hp was truly rare, 400hp was 911 turbo. Today- $30k Subaru or Mustang GT. 400hp from a base Vette, 500 for the ZO6.

And people are stepping over one another to get to events. More noobs too.

Mix that up with more events per year. More chances for bad things to happen. That impacts the insurance company's bottom line- they're interested.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I will slowly build up to it, especially the torque.

Trust me.

Dooood, you got waaay too much time on your hands. Where the F@ck do you find all that stuff?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

LMAO....Google is really quick. You should try it sometime!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:41 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are other options if you have an incident. I have discussed this with my insurance agent. You just tell them you have the incident on the street. Keep in mind an accident at the track won't have a police report. You just have the car transported to the shop for repair and call it in as a normal street accident. Most insurance companies do not require a police report to pay a claim if there are no other vehicles involved.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
There are other options if you have an incident. I have discussed this with my insurance agent. You just tell them you have the incident on the street. Keep in mind an accident at the track won't have a police report. You just have the car transported to the shop for repair and call it in as a normal street accident. Most insurance companies do not require a police report to pay a claim if there are no other vehicles involved.
Can you say insurance fraud I think I'll stick with a disposable car.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:54 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
You just tell them you have the incident on the street. Keep in mind an accident at the track won't have a police report. You just have the car transported to the shop for repair and call it in as a normal street accident.
Seems like that could cause you more problems than the original accident damage if you get caught...

Quick Reply: Attn Texas DE'ers: change in insurance law impacts DE and track day coverage