Sponsored by:

When clutches go bad.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:30 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default When clutches go bad.....

Missed an up-shift last weekend at Cal Speedway and destroyed my clutch/pressure plate assembly. I was lucky, it could easily have been much worse. Just thought I'd share a pic....

Old 04-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Do yourself a favor and put a GT3RS Tilton clutch (7.25 dual disk) in the car. See PCA rules GTC subsection G as a legal modification
Old 04-05-2007, 12:28 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey John, sorry or your loss. Most stories involving miss shifts are downshifts and it ain't the clutch that goes.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:46 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Do yourself a favor and put a GT3RS Tilton clutch (7.25 dual disk) in the car. See PCA rules GTC subsection G as a legal modification
Geoffrey I have one sitting right here as I type but I'm not sure I'll use it. My concern is that the multi-discs don't blow until about 15,000 RPM, where-as my stock 4-tab unit with 80 hours let go at less than 10,000 RPM. Had I been shifting on a Tilton I would probably be looking at a blown motor instead of a simple clutch pack. Costs are significant too. My factory unit at about $1,500 including TO bearing and disc, versus $3,500. to $5k for the Tilton or the RSR setup respectively.....
Old 04-05-2007, 02:22 AM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 18 Posts

yea.. the stok clutch is a very good thing to have in the car.. it up shifts fine and has a more weight then a tilton.. so you can drag it a lil while downshifting and it will give more decel to the rear tires... thats good because the 996 cups have more frontbrake bias... so it even things out.. and you can brake later....

PLUS...

like jr said.. when you mis a shift you replace the clutch.. not the motor...

and you cant get away with noone knowing you have the clutch... cause it goes "changchangchunchang" when the starters pullin the motor trying to crank it up....
Old 04-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure it matters whether you have a 10k or 15k overrev, in my opinion, the engine still needs to come out and have the bottom end checked, especially if you are still running the Titanium rod bolts.

I'd also check the pricing on the Tilton, They are more like $2200 for the entire kit the last time I checked, and that was full retail.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:35 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not sure it matters whether you have a 10k or 15k overrev, in my opinion, the engine still needs to come out and have the bottom end checked, especially if you are still running the Titanium rod bolts.

I'd also check the pricing on the Tilton, They are more like $2200 for the entire kit the last time I checked, and that was full retail.

negative gohst rider....

a cup engine can take a couple of 10k "pops" and keep going.... like it never happend...

ive seen one get brokin in with a 10,100 pop.. then WOT... then "oh dang thats 4th gear not 6th"... that car had bad karma.. but ran a buncha races with that motor never opend....

now the dif between 10k and 15k.. is pretty huge.. so it definatly DOES matter...

so like i said before.... stock clutch is better choice then the tilton... altho we all know TILTON is a BAD ****...

Quick Reply: When clutches go bad.....