Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiping out on my first solo

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007 | 04:21 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dnitake
I'm no expert but hope I can add something, I spun on my first solo outing. Very embarrasing for both me and my instructor who was standing w/ the steward who said to my instructor, "So what's up w/ that, huh?". I did the big nasty lift on what I perceived to be an overcooked turn too.
I have spun many times since then for various reasons but been lucky to keep the shiny side shiny. My take is spins have nothing to do w/ a tire mismatch or PSM. It has to do w/ assuming things are the same on every outing. Start relatively slow. Waste a couple of laps feeling the car and your mental state.
Not that you are, but don't leave your PSM on just because of this one misadventure. Leave it on because you're on a learning curve and aren't ready to experiment w/ fire yet. Personally, I don't have it. I would recommend to leave it on for the casual. But in my opinion only, it sounds like it won't be long before you are close to the car's limits and PSM will do damn little to help you there. OK, it may mean you can go off straight instead of sideways, but if you're going off, PSM will not prevent it at 10/10ths. So you might as well leave it off if you are risk averse enough and intend on getting to the 10/10ths. You get little snippets of car control challenges which PSM might prevent you from having to deal with on your way up the curve. Leave it on if you want to protect your car and want to have fun and stay casual. Leave it off if you want to get hardcore driving skills, but pretend like you're driving a new car every session. Bet your past this anyways, especially now. And get an instructor every once in awhile no matter what level you're at.
PS. You will spin again. Can you predict why? Bet it's because you lift again. "But I only lifted a LITTLE BIDDY bit! Or "I was just going to neutral throttle"..." Good luck :-)
That is good advice. To expand a bit, don't assume that things are the same every lap. Oil, coolant, dirt or a setting sun or even clouds (if you are really on the edge) change the track. You have to learn to feel what is happening and you MUST learn early detection and correction of problems. That is the danger of intermediate drivers. They can go quite fast but are not yet very good at getting out of trouble. Add a 160mph turbo or CGT and you have a recipe for disaster.
Old 03-25-2007 | 01:28 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Next question re: PSM faults...what size Toyos did you put on the back? The same size as your stock PS2s or something different?

One trigger the system uses to detect wheelspin is a differential in rotation between the front and rear wheels. If the outside circumference of the tires, front to back, varies by more than 5% PSM will indicate a fault. You can change tire sizes, just keep them within 5% of each other.

Quick Reply: Wiping out on my first solo