Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiping out on my first solo

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007 | 10:37 PM
Turbo Stan
Advanced

Default Wiping out on my first solo

I’m hoping this confession will cleanse my soul.

Just did a two day track event at Homestead. This was my first outing as a solo driver. And just like any stereotypical novice driver with a hot, super car who just got his solo qualification and thinks he’s hot ****, I proceeded to spin…twice. By some miracle, I managed to escape both incidences virtually unscathed. First time I missed a concrete wall by about a foot (track marks in the grass testified to that) and the second time I kissed the tire wall with both my front and rear. Kudos to TechArt parts for being able to take the abuse.

Bottom line was I did exactly what all my instructors told me not to do: I lifted off the accelerator on high speed turns.

In case you’re wondering, the PSM started acting up and kept engaging way early so I turned it off.

First incident: Coming off of a fast turn leading to a straight (turn 7 at Homestead) I was heavy on the gas. I was drifting wide nicely but started to get worried that I would run over the rumble strip. So I did what comes natural and lifted. Boy, 911s go into a spin fast!!!

Next one: I hate this turn. It’s the high speed turn at the end of the back straight. I am always nervous entering this turn. The instructors told us that if you feel squirrelly off this turn to go straight off the track since there is a lot of runoff. A good idea in principle but as soon as the car started to get unsettled I let off the gas again and was in an uncontrollable spin heading towards the inside wall. Only luck kept my car in one piece.

I’ll keep on trying. Hope I’ll get better (and smarter).
Old 03-22-2007 | 10:44 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Did your instructors also tell you to not touch the "PSM"?
Old 03-22-2007 | 10:44 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mac,

There is a difference betwee modulating and lifting completely... Homestead is tougher than what it looks. The high speed turn you are referring to has bitten a lot of people. I personally tap the brakes to plant the nose and then turn in gradually but decisely, aim for the kerb/rumble strip on the inside and enjoy the ride. Similar strategy on T1.

Take it easy and don't beat yourself (physically especially and then mentally). There is no substitute for seat time. In the meantime repeat the novice mantra (that's what Vic Elford called it when I did Skip Barber) " slow in fast out ". He went further in saying the opposite is true also.....

Cheers, Juan
Old 03-22-2007 | 10:53 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by richard glickel.

The first thing your first instructor should have done is turn off the PSM....can't learn to drive a rear weight bias car with crutches right out of the gate, IMO.
Old 03-23-2007 | 12:36 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I can't seem to find the ABS or the PSM in my '84.......darn!
Old 03-23-2007 | 12:40 AM
Turbo Stan
Advanced

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
My Porsche Driving Experience instructors sure did. I probably should have kept it on but the fault was driving me crazy. The brakes were constantly engaging on every corner. Actually, I did speak to my DE instructors and they agreed that the PSM was defective so they suggested driving with it off. They warned me to be careful. I forgot about that last piece of advice.

I have to say though that driving with the PSM was an entirely different experience. Except for the spins, I had a great time. It was fun letting the car drift a bit through the turns. It also showed me the errors in my technique. I agree with leif997 that it is a good learning experience. That said, you can be sure that once the sensor is fixed, I will be driving with it on. Especially since next month is Sebring. Those speeds are way to high for me to trust my skills (or lack thereof)
Old 03-23-2007 | 12:52 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

It doesn't seem that one would learn much depending on electronics to keep the car on the straight and narrow. You say we can be sure the PSM will be on ad the "speeds are way to high for me to trust my skills".....isn't that what this is all about? If you just want thrills, a roller-coaster would do. But, I think the real reason you attend a DE is to improve your skills while fully enjoying your Porsche, no matter what model or year. To rely on driving aids thusly would be as much fun as taking some cold medicine and driving around in a semi-fog; you'd not be able to truly experience the event.
Old 03-23-2007 | 12:56 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Originally Posted by Dirty Mac
In case you’re wondering, the PSM started acting up and kept engaging way early so I turned it off.

First incident: Coming off of a fast turn leading to a straight (turn 7 at Homestead) I was heavy on the gas. I was drifting wide nicely but started to get worried that I would run over the rumble strip. So I did what comes natural and lifted. Boy, 911s go into a spin fast!!!
...Only luck kept my car in one piece.

I’ll keep on trying. Hope I’ll get better (and smarter).
First: If you are near the limit, everything will spin really fast if you lift of the throttle. It's called Trailing Throttle Oversteer and it'll bite you in a mid or front engine car too.
Secondly, if you want to learn how to drive fast on a race course, turn of the PSM even if it is functioning perfectly
Thirdly: Luck is a good thing. Sometimes it saves your *** and it may even help you win a race
Finally: Great attitude! I predict you will be a quick learner.
Old 03-23-2007 | 12:56 AM
Turbo Stan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Mac,

There is a difference betwee modulating and lifting completely... Homestead is tougher than what it looks. The high speed turn you are referring to has bitten a lot of people. I personally tap the brakes to plant the nose and then turn in gradually but decisely, aim for the kerb/rumble strip on the inside and enjoy the ride. Similar strategy on T1.

Take it easy and don't beat yourself (physically especially and then mentally). There is no substitute for seat time. In the meantime repeat the novice mantra (that's what Vic Elford called it when I did Skip Barber) " slow in fast out ". He went further in saying the opposite is true also.....

Cheers, Juan
Modulate vs lifting. Sounds so simple. Until fear takes over. But its like you said, no substitute for seat time.

At T10 I would mash on the brakes in a straight line, then I would let off and let the car settle before starting the turn. It never did seem to settle comfortably. Could you give me more advice on how to complete that turn.
Old 03-23-2007 | 01:07 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damn Physics huh....

take it easy and ease into fast. otherwise you will back into a wall fast

and remember even after 100's of hours on track you can still get bitten.. i happened to me
Old 03-23-2007 | 08:43 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dirty Mac
Modulate vs lifting. Sounds so simple. Until fear takes over. But its like you said, no substitute for seat time.

At T10 I would mash on the brakes in a straight line, then I would let off and let the car settle before starting the turn. It never did seem to settle comfortably. Could you give me more advice on how to complete that turn.
You should never "mash" anything in a car. "Squeeze" the brakes and "release" them. "Turn" the wheel, don't yank it. "Squeeze" the throttle, don't "floor it". This is probably why the can "never did seem to settle comfortably".

Glad you're car is still OK. Take it easier next time.
Old 03-23-2007 | 08:52 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

As instructors, I think this is an issue we all face -- green students with super fast cars. A first timer in a new 911 or turbo, heaven forbid, will be going almost twice as fast a first timer in an '83 944. And, until they have some seat time, their brains need more time to react to situations -- time that you have less of in a fast car.

I've sometimes had to insist that students keep the car in a certain gear -- perhaps a higher one for cornering to reduce the torque available, or a lower one on a straight to prevent excessive speed. In these situations, my "suggestion" is always treated with skepticism, but afterwards the students say, "Wow, I learned so much!"

Point being: at slower speeds, there's more time for the instructor to teach and there's more time to the student to absorb and process the information -- and with today's super cars, finding a balance can be challenging!
Old 03-23-2007 | 08:53 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I would get an instructor back in the car if I were you. I still ask for one at just about every event, always *something* new to be learned..
Old 03-23-2007 | 08:53 AM
Nathan Muir
Advanced

For your next track day and until further notice I recommend that you install an instructor in right seat to prevent further problems. Playing with the toys is fun, breaking them is not. Sounds like you were not quite ready for solo. This is something your instructor should have noted and saved you the trouble of getting body work done.
Old 03-23-2007 | 09:13 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

DM

Sounds like you had some good take-away and thank you for posting your experience. For me I approach this sport as constant skill development and as such always seek input and instruction from others including personal coaching. This activity has a tremendous amount of measured risk with huge reward if properly executed. I think countless others have experienced what you went thru and even more will with the evelution of modern cars HP and driver aides. Sometime in 08 I will take delivery of my gt3 which is way more car than I have now, and the FIRST thing I will be doing is having extensive coaching and training from qualified instructors/coaches. I will not even be near 6/10s until I get my legs under me with nearly twice the HP and engine aft of the axle. I really look forward to it but I go in knowing a will be taking many steps backwards before I can move forward.

It has been my experience that T-7 can be the ugly "whoops" zone so be very glady your car is not crinkled.

Quick Reply: Wiping out on my first solo