Big tow vehicles are better

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:31 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Big tow vehicles are better

Say what you like about my ultra-large Ford F-350 Powerstroke Diesel Dually (makes me feel manly just typing that phrase):
Last Wednesday I am towing the 20' enclosed CargoPro with my beloved 993 and lots of stuff in it. On I84 East of the Taconic Parkway heading to VIR. 4 lane highway.
Nobody on the road except the semi on my left; no one in front of me, no one behind. Idiot (you see where this is going) entering highway from my right; I slow up, he slows up, starts to ease into my lane. I toot the horn, he keeps easing over, I drop back.
He pulls in front of me and JAMBS ON THE F*CKING BRAKES. I am all over his bumper, tires are chirping, truck is slowing rapidly, trailer stays straight.
IDIOT MODULATES HIS BRAKING SO THAT I AM STILL ALL OVER HIS BUMPER until finally I am down to whatever speed (feels like 20, probably 40). He speeds off.
I am glad I didn't tap his bumper like I wanted; would have sent his stupid little toaster of a car spinning like a top, with me laughing maniacally.
But I didn't (and I am glad I didn't).
Moral of the story? A nice big tow vehicle, well-balanced trailer, and properly set up brake controller can save your day.
I can feel my anger building up again, so time to sign off.
PS: had a great time at Zone 2 despite the cold rain on Friday and the cold cold on Saturday and Sunday.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:01 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like it saved his day!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:19 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

After towing with an Expedition and Dodge Ram 1500, I can honestly say I'd rather not do it again. I towed with a GMC 2500 Extended cab a couple weeks ago and never realized how much better it could be. Now I am spoiled. BTW, looking at a 3500 four door diesel dually right now. Towing with a marginal vehicle just isn't any fun.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 03-20-2007, 03:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Agreed.
Tow vehicles, oil viscosity, H&N restraints.....the topics that truly deserve and
Old 03-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Say what you like about my ultra-large Ford F-350 Powerstroke Diesel Dually (makes me feel manly just typing that phrase):
Last Wednesday I am towing the 20' enclosed CargoPro with my beloved 993 and lots of stuff in it. On I84 East of the Taconic Parkway heading to VIR. 4 lane highway.
Nobody on the road except the semi on my left; no one in front of me, no one behind. Idiot (you see where this is going) entering highway from my right; I slow up, he slows up, starts to ease into my lane. I toot the horn, he keeps easing over, I drop back.
He pulls in front of me and JAMBS ON THE F*CKING BRAKES. I am all over his bumper, tires are chirping, truck is slowing rapidly, trailer stays straight.
IDIOT MODULATES HIS BRAKING SO THAT I AM STILL ALL OVER HIS BUMPER until finally I am down to whatever speed (feels like 20, probably 40). He speeds off.
I am glad I didn't tap his bumper like I wanted; would have sent his stupid little toaster of a car spinning like a top, with me laughing maniacally.
But I didn't (and I am glad I didn't).
Moral of the story? A nice big tow vehicle, well-balanced trailer, and properly set up brake controller can save your day.
I can feel my anger building up again, so time to sign off.
PS: had a great time at Zone 2 despite the cold rain on Friday and the cold cold on Saturday and Sunday.
I am glad that nothing happened to you, but at some point, but man, what a dolt. He probably has no idea how close he came to causing some serious damange to his frail little body. I'm assuming he's your typical metrosexual sipping his mocha latte on the way to work while checking his Blackberry for emails from his "guy friends" and calling his girlfriends to complain about the mean ole guy in a truck that was just so rude to him...

There should be a law put in place where you can simply shoot idiots like this.

My friend came up with an idea -- every driver in the US is given a paintball and an allotment of permanent paint ball bullets -- say 20 a year. If you see an idiot driver out there, like Mr. "I'm-going-to-show-mister-big-truck-and-trailer-whos-the-boss-of-the-road-there" you can 'tag' him. Two things will result:

1. Satisfaction of saying to your friends, "Then I pulled out my gun and shot the miserable SOB."
2. If the guy is truly an idiot driver, in short time, his car will be riddled with paint ball marks. That will alert all other drivers to leave a wide margin.

Hmmm - I wonder if we should do something like this at DEs as well...

Ok, now I'm getting all worked up with the stupid driver thing...

Rant over,
- Z
Old 03-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Don't worry to much, he'll get his soon enough.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:43 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

I saw that last years Dodge 2500 Mega-Cab's have a $10k discount at one Chicago-land dealer. And these were the Cummins with the tow package. I'm sure you can squeeze them some more. May be good time to buy a tow vehicle.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:00 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

If I could manage it, I'd have one of those 18-wheeler-type conversion carriers for the long hauls.

But since space and finances aren't going to allow that, here's the alternative take: if you drive your race car to the track, you've got world-class stopping power and a nimble sport-tuned suspension at your disposal for any point where some jackass decides to screw up in your path.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:01 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I love this idea (about paintballs); I have suggested TOW missiles but got no traction on the concept.
My boys love paintball; maybe they can set me up (although at their rate of fire those 20 will be gone fast).
Old 03-20-2007, 04:56 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
If I could manage it, I'd have one of those 18-wheeler-type conversion carriers for the long hauls.

But since space and finances aren't going to allow that, here's the alternative take: if you drive your race car to the track, you've got world-class stopping power and a nimble sport-tuned suspension at your disposal for any point where some jackass decides to screw up in your path.

Hwy 46 on your way to Laguna via Paso Robles?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:03 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Yep. Good eyes.

I was following the GPS and didn't think about the fact that I was on the James Dean route until I saw the intersection where he died. I stopped for lunch by the memorial, and made it the rest of the way to Salinas in one piece.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Astro0boy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who has, in my opinion, a better idea than the "Paintball" solution.
He calls it the Sh*tGun5000.

Here's the way it works:
Simply point the Sh*tGun5000 at the offending motorist and fire.
A laser-like beam is fired at the moron.
The motorist not only finds themselves having suddenly and uncontrollably crapped their pants, but they're back at the location from whence they began their journey.

I keep trying to get him to develop this thing, but we just can't get the funding.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

I love this idea (about paintballs); I have suggested TOW missiles but got no traction on the concept.
My boys love paintball; maybe they can set me up (although at their rate of fire those 20 will be gone fast).

Amateurs

Old 03-20-2007, 11:16 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi "RB",

Oh yes, I've lost count of the number of imaginary sidewinder missles I've fired at similar highway idiots. This is usually accompanied by some (also imaginary) armour-piercing machine gun rounds and mopped-up with 1 or 2 hand grenades just to make sure there are no survivors in the offending vehicle (sadly, any innocent passengers must die too).

Quick Reply: Big tow vehicles are better