Big tow vehicles are better

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
I am glad that nothing happened to you, but at some point, but man, what a dolt. He probably has no idea how close he came to causing some serious damange to his frail little body. I'm assuming he's your typical metrosexual sipping his mocha latte on the way to work while checking his Blackberry for emails from his "guy friends" and calling his girlfriends to complain about the mean ole guy in a truck that was just so rude to him...

There should be a law put in place where you can simply shoot idiots like this.

My friend came up with an idea -- every driver in the US is given a paintball and an allotment of permanent paint ball bullets -- say 20 a year. If you see an idiot driver out there, like Mr. "I'm-going-to-show-mister-big-truck-and-trailer-whos-the-boss-of-the-road-there" you can 'tag' him. Two things will result:

1. Satisfaction of saying to your friends, "Then I pulled out my gun and shot the miserable SOB."
2. If the guy is truly an idiot driver, in short time, his car will be riddled with paint ball marks. That will alert all other drivers to leave a wide margin.

Hmmm - I wonder if we should do something like this at DEs as well...

Ok, now I'm getting all worked up with the stupid driver thing...

Rant over,
- Z
Hey - I came up with that idea years ago. Except if you accrued more than 3 paint marks on your car your license was suspended for 6 months.

As far as the slow merger goes - did he have a crappy car that looked like he had nothing to lose? Maybe he was looking for an easy payday trying to get you to rear end him. I had a guy short brake me on an off ramp, then wave to me when I was 2 feet off his back bumper.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John H
Towing with a marginal vehicle just isn't any fun.
Question for the Rennlist Track brain trust: what would you consider to be a marginal tow vehicle? Specifically:

What is the towing rating on a marginal truck? GCVWR, Wheelbase, horsepower...etc. And what are some examples of these marginal trucks?

Or, the other way to look at it: what would be the minimal towing rating, GCVWR, horsepower, wheelbase...etc. that you would consider to be acceptable as a 'better than marginal' tow vehicle?

I know that marginal is different for someone who tows over flat areas vs. hills, and those who tow heavier loads vs. light -- but in general, what do you consider to be marginal?

Just curious,
-Z
Old 03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on what you are towing.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull

Put a hitch on this bitch!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bull
Aircraft carrier.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I flat towed a Rabbit with another Rabbit, that wasn't marginal.
I've towed the same Rabbit on a trailer - ~3000lbs total - with an old S-10, 2.8l V6 and a 5 speed. Slow but not marginal. Stopping distance wasn't great but you took that into consideration when you judged the distance to the car in front of you.

Just remember - for every 10mph of speed there is room for another a-hole to cut in front of you.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:33 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Been there, Rick;

How's this one.

Last Fall I was delivering a WetCup to Knoxville. Somewhere South of Carlisle PA I stopped to gas up. GMC 2500HD with a 22' enclosed. The exit was a bit tighter and more conjested than I like for towing, and the traffic on the side road was mid Saturday morning heavy.

As I pumped gas I could see I'd have a bitch of a time getting out with stoplights at the overpass and cars backed up everywhere. When I went to exit (across traffic), the line miraculously stopped just ahead of where I needed to go. Plenty of room to cross traffic East to turn right and go South on 81. IF I hussled a bit. I saw a pickup coming, but with plenty of room to spare I -pulled out and took the shoulder to take the ramp to my right and head South.

Apparently the guy in the pickup was in a huge hurry, and thought I cut him off from flying past the stopped cars to head in the same direction as I. This guy turned out to be an ultimate road rager. IN-FREAKING-SANE.

As I rolled down the ramp and checked the left for a spot to merge, in my periferal vision I suddenly see this fool whip out, come down the left shoulder of the ramp, and blow by me at about 20mph more speed. I was going about 55 by the bottom of the ramp when he passed me. He came so close that his right mirror hit my left mirror and broke a piece of the case off, flipping it forward against the fender.

I was so stunned I didn't have time to do anything but complete my merge (without a mirror) and keep going. I watched him crazily drive off into the heavy morning mid-PA traffic like a maniac. He eventually got off on the next ramp. For some reason I instinctively watched to see if he crossed the overpass, or turned right. He did neither.

My suspicion was confirmed when I saw him come speeding down the onramp and back onto the highway behind me. At this point I was pissed that I never got his plate number, because I knew he was not finished. By the time he turned off at the next ramp and disappeared some miles later, he had rammed the back of the trailer 6-7 times, all this while going 70mph down a highway that suddenly lacked witnesses. It was not extreme, but I did have to countersteer a bit to keep the rig straight.

I wanted so badly for him to pass me. One way or antother he would have been paid back, by me or he cops. Alternately, I cursed the expensive cargo behind, for other wise I would have brake checked him right through the back door of the trailer. Take out his rad and then beat him to a pulp.

Just a dented beaver tail, a chipped side mirror, and a TON of frustration that he got away with it. That kind of insanity really begs a severe beating.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:57 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi John
Oh my, that is one hell of a story.
What a nasty guy he was.
Glad you lived to tell about it.
Are you going to be at the Kojote April event or HCR in May (both WGI)? If so, I'd love to meet you.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Wow.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I still think that if everyone was allowed to carry a sidearm, people would be much more polite to each other!
Old 03-21-2007, 05:26 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's times like that that makes you wish for a concealed weapons permit...
Old 03-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Agreed, Bob.

I would much prefer to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

PS: I do carry
Old 03-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Agreed, Bob.

I would much prefer to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

PS: I do carry
If I were you i would too.....
Old 03-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Well I am the Equal Opportunity Offender.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:40 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
It's times like that that makes you wish for a concealed weapons permit...
I would normally agree, except in this case the crazy guy in the truck would have probably started to shoot first.

Quick Reply: Big tow vehicles are better