Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed TV's Announcers are incompetent....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:02 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Speed team myself. I think they provide interesting insight into the in's and out's of the sport even though they are'nt on-site. Windsor's grid interviews are very good to IMO.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:02 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just don't like the choices made by the director of the production. They just spend too much time in the pits, yet I do understand that a great deal of the important events come as a result of decisions made and work in, the pits.
The F1 guys often crack me up. I about choked when Hobbs said something to the effect "yes and there is a bit ...uhh darker skin on the podium for the first time as well"
F1 could be really interesting this year. Had Massa started in a reasonable position, as I expect that he will often, this could end up being a battle like last years.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:41 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
They make Brent Musberger sound professional.... Constant dribble, they spend more time covering pit stops than what's actually happening out there on course. Two incidents just happened on course and they switched over after the fact, commented on the fact they didn't know what happened, then went to a commercial break. Complete babbling idiots who should be made to listen to their incoherant ramblings in a dark room....

Actually, they are basically operating out of a dark room. They are not at the track. They are in a studio in the US watching a satellite feed. They are at the complete mercy of the local TV broadcast. I think they do a hell of a job considering the circumstances. Many people, yourself included, never even realize they are not at the race. That's tough to pull off and shows how talented they really are.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:15 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They really do a great job. I like the commentary and insights they can provide. Speed TV forum site there is a thread of Hobbisms....hilarious.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:24 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really enjoy Speed's announcers.

In F1, Matchett alone is worth the price of admission, and I would love to see a show with just him going on and on about the technical stuff. I somewhat enjoy Varsha, as he seems to be the "polished glue" that holds everyone together and keeps the show moving as planned. Hobbes I could have done without... until I read Donohue's book (Unfair Advantage) which gave me a whole new appreciation for him and his background. That, and the "he's got some serious attachments" comment, and other Hobbisms. I guess you could say that he's grown on me. Peter Windsor is enjoyable as he seems to be up on all the latest gossip track-side, and I'd REALLY like to know how he landed the official F1 post-race questioneer gig!

In the other non-Nascar races they cover (like Sebring), I really enjoy Dorsey Schrader's commentary, a LOT, as he gives truly meaningful insight into what's going on, and is generally bang-on, IMO. The other guys, I'm rather indifferent about. But they don't annoy me... I just kind of filter them out a bit.

$0.02

Quick Reply: Speed TV's Announcers are incompetent....