Sponsored by:

Show me your Lexan 911 windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Show me your Lexan 911 windows

I'm working on a 911 now that came to me with no glass. Rather than buy all of the missing glass, seals, and trim I am thinking of using lexan. I planning on making the rear glass and quarter windows from 1/8" flat sheets and probably screwing everything in place rather than using the stock gaskets. I have seen the Getty flush mount mount kit and I like it a lot (see pic below), but I'm thinking I could weld in a lip to get the same effect without having to buy the fiberglass parts and the Getty rear glass. This is a track car but it would be nice to make something that doesn't leak when I rinse it off and I don't want it to look like crap. I don't want to pay the premium price for the vented 911R quarter windows so if you have any ideas on venting them, or if you think it is unecessary, let me know.

The only lexan windshields I have made in the past were simple flat pieces for circle track cars. Please share any pictures and knowledge you've got about making and installing lexan windows. I'm especially interested in your flush mounting methods.

Thanks!

Last edited by Cory M; 01-08-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My experience with Lexan suggests that the front window needs to be heat formed and I would suggest Shields brand over getty or gt racing which come from Spektr Products due to fitment. They have them that will fit the rubber seal and therefore is waterproof, or you can get them sized to fit a flush mount frame.

If you buy and make windows, pay the extra for scratch resistance polycarbonate rather than the inexpensive stuff.

The rear window is also heat formed slightly.

Here are some pictures I could dig up of mine, I hope it helps.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks Geoffrey. I have to run with the side windows down and my front glass is okay so I only plan on making the rear and quarter glass. Are the black frames in your first pic from the Getty flush mount kit? The nut plates are a good idea for easy removal.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, all of the frames are from GT Racing.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:23 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can cut the rear window yourself as well as quarter windows. Yes, rear one is shaped a little, but it will shape itself when you install it. I've done a couple of them with rubber weatherstrip for stock roof and flush for c/fiber roof. No problems.
Mike M

Quick Reply: Show me your Lexan 911 windows