Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight distribution hitches

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 10:17 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you need to purchase the weight rating closest to the tongue weight being pulled or is it recommend to go up one or two levels? For example, my trailer loaded is 4,500 lbs. Assuming 10% tongue weight (450 lbs) do I buy the 500 lb max capacity, 700 lb capacity, or 1000?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:57 PM
John Brown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
do you need to purchase the weight rating closest to the tongue weight being pulled or is it recommend to go up one or two levels? For example, my trailer loaded is 4,500 lbs. Assuming 10% tongue weight (450 lbs) do I buy the 500 lb max capacity, 700 lb capacity, or 1000?
No point in going higher than required. Just because the wt/dist hitch keeps the back of the to vehicle from sagging; no more weight should be put into the tow vehicle than required for good stability. In your case, hopefully, 450. Having said that, if you look at the Reese system the only difference (up to a point) is the bars themselves. And the price is the same IIRC.

BTW, I really really like the Reese with trunnion style and the cam action antisway. If i'd known it would work this well and be this much better I'd have spent the money years ago. I'd get nothing different next time around.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/WD/dt_strait_line.html

The 40485 is all you need. If you just want the higher weight the cost stays the same. But since you will only be 'levering' 450 into your tow chassis there's no point really.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:51 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Well that was prior to the hitch and new truck !!!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:46 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I am calling around trying to learn about these and seem to be getting mixed answers to the round vs. trunnion question. Most say round are easier to live with. One dealer even said the market is trending towards round and he thinks in 2-3 years trunnion will be gone.

What are the pros/cons to each design?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:58 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dmilzoff
Are weight distribution hitchs helpful for open (ie. lighter weight) trailer. I tow my 944 on a steel open trailer and have not had a problem but I would consider anything to make towing safer.

David

What is your tow rig?

I tow my 944 behind my 2500 Dodge V10. I can tow it just fine even without trailer brakes. (I know I should run them any nearly always do, but they have flaked out when I had some wiring issues and the truck can still stop things when they do.) The Dodge is that much overkill.

However if you are towing with a mid size truck or SUV and rear end sags definitly get a wt distributing hitch. Used to tow this same car & trailer behind my 4.0L Jeep Cherokee. It would work, but needed wt distrubting hitch badly.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:27 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I think I found my answer. Trunnion is best when adding sway control. Otherwise round is equally as good as trunnion but gets the nod since they tend to be cheaper.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:41 PM
hayaku
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take a look at the equal-i-zer hitches. the drop on the hitch helps to distribute the tongue weight so the tow vehicle remains flat. the bars on the side are the anti-sway devices.

i have the 10,000lb antisway model used on my 24' enclosed carson trailer. if you really want to go all out, check out the hensley device at www.nosway.com

Quick Reply: Weight distribution hitches