Sponsored by:

Follow Up to Seth's Track Insurance thread MUST LOOK

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Brian, as I recall your claim was 4 or more years ago, right?. A lot of policy wording has been changed since then.
That sounds about right. Since then, I've basically decided to become self-insured so I haven't paid too much attention to the language in the policy nowadays. Due to that decision, I've become a lot more concerned about safety equipment (cage, HANS, etc.). Looking back, those two decisions shouldn't really be tied together.

Other thoughts I had after my claim...
1) I had a $2K deductible
2) Insurance rates rose by about 15% per year
3) There was also opportunity cost in submitting a claim. I.e., if I submitted another claim within 3 years, I'd likely get dropped and then my insurance rates would skyrocket.

Because of all of the above, I decided that I needed about a minimum of $10K of damage to even consider submitting a claim. Self insurance just made a lot more sense at that point.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:41 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

Just as a follow-up a member of Corner-Carvers stuffed an E46M3 at Laguna Seca last month. State Farm IS paying the claim and their underwriters stated that it is kosher as long as it was not a racing (timed) incident

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33919
Old 05-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Until the policy form for State Farm changed in PA (started the change with renewals last fall and my poilcy changed on May 10), it would have been covered here, too. Read your policy and watch for any amendments.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:04 PM
ronbo56
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

State Farm in NJ also recently changed its form to exclude DE and any other fun you can think of. SF has been great to deal with over the years and very reasonable, but they are only following their business interests. My rates went up substantially because of a moving violation but only slightly because of an accident in my Ferrari. Go figure. I have dropped collision for the 944 since it is track-only and rely on my Chubb umbrella for liability.

BTW, count me in the "disposable track car" club. I scared myself silly tracking the Ferrari, to the point where it wasn't fun.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:17 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 78 Posts

Another update,

I had heard that State Farm was no longer covering DE or untimed track events. I called my agent and asked for specifics. They first told me, I was no longer covered. I told them I was going to find a new insurance carrier.
They responded by telling me they would look further into it.

- Got a call a week later, they told me I was covered as long as I was not racing or timing..
I asked for it in writing and got it.

"Hey Seth!
You would have 1st party coverage (coverage on your car) as long as you are not racing or being timed. If there is damage to another car or the track, that would have to go through claims consideration and may or may not be covered depending on the situation.

Have a good weekend!

Thanks,"

B
Old 07-08-2007, 10:35 PM
ronbo56
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know, although if my car doesn't need to be registered in order to race in 944 Cup I'm going to cancel the insurance altogether. I understand that many people use the same car for track and street, but for better or worse I am not one of them.

Quick Reply: Follow Up to Seth's Track Insurance thread MUST LOOK