Sponsored by:

Tow Vehicle: Cayenne, Touareg or GL450?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 06:51 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

This used to be our tow rig- it towed the trailer fine after (like Lewis) I figured out how many trailer lights Porsche thought was intended and it still threw the ! every so often. Always towed in 5th and manual mode and was lucky to get 8 mpg... the main issue was rear visibility- a cop could have sat back there with his lights on for 200 miles and I would NEVER see him. Pulling out to pass was always an adventure... would NEVER do it without PASM though.

Below is a picture of the new tow vehicle- hated bringing it home in a blizzard, but heh, it's a truck! And it can pull my house off the foundation without breathing hard...

Won't think twice about a long haul to a new track now...interior is HUGE...but yes, we do need a family sedan now (good CPO'ed A8...) I missed having a big pickup- they are SO handy...
Old 03-19-2007, 01:43 AM
lwilkins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same experience. I went from a 3/4 ton Dodge turbodiesel truck which was a towing beast, but not much fun as a daily driver or otherwise, to using my wife's Cayenne S.

I've been very pleased with the Cayenne's towing capabilities. Like most things, this was a compromise. She sold her Audi A-6 and got the Cayenne S (which wasn't exactly what she would have chosen) and I sold the Dodge diesel, and tow with the Cayenne, which again isn't what I would have chosen for a sole towing function. But it's been a good compromise for us, getting rid of one vehicle from the driveway (saving on tax, title and insurance, too). And I really only tow to the track 6-10 weekends a year, so this is not a big imposition in view of the economies.

The Cayenne S is very stable in towing up to over 70 mph with my trailer (open trailer with 5800-6300 lbs). I see less than 2400 rpm in 6th gear at just over 70 mph, although I don't use cruise control for towing (it shifts down too much). At that speed, I get about 11-12 mpg while towing. Again, if I towed every weekend, that mileage would be a problem, but at a few weekends a year, it's not a big deal. My Dodge diesel only got about 15-16 mpg while towing the same car/trailer, and it was designed to tow.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by LVDell
Chris, I tow with a Cayenne. I can honestly say that while it is OPTIMAL to get a long wheel base tow vehicle, there is NOTHING wrong with towing with a Cayenne. The damn thing is rated at over 7700# and does it with ease. I have towed to my local tracks many times (one is 1.5hrs and the other 3hrs) without and incident or "oh ****" moments. I am VERY VERY VERY careful and aware of what I am towing with. It helps that most of my driving to the two tracks are backroad 2 lane highways mostly. My speed never really gets above 60. The thing I have noticed is that I do NOT enjoy towing once I am above about 65. At that point I feel like I have lost some control and I just back it down. FWIW, when we moved out here (NC) from Las Vegas I towed my 20' enclosed trailer with a car and a whole bunch of crap cross country almost 2500 miles! This is where I figured out that my magical number was 60mph for comfort, overdrive is worthless, and as long as your are aware of your surroundings, tow with common sense, and drive like you are towing not like you are driving a car, and you will be fine.

Sure, in a perfect world we would all have these moster trucks that most will rec'd you get, but it just isn't practical and not something I care to own. The Cayenne is a nice compromise. However, with that said, next summer when my lease is up I will be shopping around for something a bit larger but NOT like the behemoths that most rec'd. I will probably go with a Denali/Escalade, etc.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:46 AM
lwilkins
Instructor

Default Wheelbase to determine towing ability

One other comment about wheelbase. Don't just look at the wheelbase, look at the lever arm. The distance from tow hook to rear wheels is much shorter on a Cayenne, BMW X-5 or Mercedes than on any domestic truck. This lessens the effect of a shorter wheelbase.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:28 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've already chimed in with my personal preference for a long wheel based truck but I woulld like to offer another option for those of you who only need a good tow vehicle 6 to 10 times a year.

At the recent Zone 2 event there was a guy who told me he rented an extended cab pick up to tow his trailer to the events. I believe it was something $80 a day with unlimited mileage. From several points of view this would seem to make alot of sense for a few people.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:52 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
I've already chimed in with my personal preference for a long wheel based truck but I woulld like to offer another option for those of you who only need a good tow vehicle 6 to 10 times a year.

At the recent Zone 2 event there was a guy who told me he rented an extended cab pick up to tow his trailer to the events. I believe it was something $80 a day with unlimited mileage. From several points of view this would seem to make alot of sense for a few people.
I actually never thought of that. That is a great idea. Should we decide to not want a SUV again after our Pepper lease is up next year that is exactly what I would do.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I wonder where you can rent a decent pickup. The U-Hauls in our area are pretty much worthless. I wonder if there are reliable truck rental places. It would be really intolerable to be all ready for an event and then miss it because the rental company did not honor a reservation. I also wonder how standard brake controllers are, and whether you can get load distributing hitches.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try the Ford Dealers in your area. I have rented trucks, vans, etc. from dealers in the past, who often rent vehicles that are demos. They usually use the same agreements they utilize for service loaners, and there rates are competitive. I have rented from dealers in your area some years ago, and up here more recently, for various needs.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Bob. That could be exactly what I am looking for. Even at $100/day, it would be money well spent.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I looked at renting a truck from Enterprise in my area and they would not allow towing and even on vehicles with intergrated hitches they were removed.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:09 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just scanned through this, so I might have missed a posting or two. But when we talk about towing safety, has anyone had a towing accident? I have. Minor, but four years later it still affects how I tow and prep for towing.

And yeah, over the past 20 years I've towed with everything from a '78 Lincoln Continental ($300 purchase from a law school friend) and my old boss's single axle homemade for his HP Fiat, to my current 6.0 F-350 Crew w/ 22' stacker that goes over 12K loaded with 2 cars.

Anyway, I don't recommend anything but body on frame trucks of appropriate wheelbase for all but the most light duty towing.

I do love that TDI VW, but whatcha gonna do when all that high tech quits on you 4-10 hours from home on Sunday night?????
Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not found a rental car company to allow towing. The dealership? Never asked but you do have the brake controller issue. Many are simple plug ins but really, there is enough going on to get ready for a race weekend without having to worry about whether or not you will have a truck.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:11 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Thanks, Matt. I've talked with Larry and read about his towing adventure. I thought a crew cab pickup would be a good compromise vehicle, and the family says that's fine, but also get a sedan! I really don't want two motorcycles, the Porsche, the BMW convertible, the pickup, some four-door sedan and a trailer around the house. We only have a two-car garage (and no room to expand it). If I can get a sedan/tow vehicle compormise then the Porsche can live in the trailer and the BMW and sedan/tow vehicle can share the garage with the bikes.

Wheelbase

Touareg 112.4 in.
Cayenne 112.4 in.
GL450 121.1 in.
Q7 119.0 in.

Tundra crew 145.7 in.
F250 crew 158.0 - 172.4 in.

what , no space get rid of the bikes, wait , huh , What an Aprilla ! ok get rid of the BMW
Old 03-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

The BMW is the wife's car, Xmas surprise year before last. I am allowed to touch it only to change from summer to winter tires and back or to wash it.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:55 AM
gt3-4me
Instructor

just to let you know if your interested in the touareg. you can get some deals on 06 v10 tdi's. i'm working a deal on one for the occasional tow. sticker was 70k, i'm getting it for 54k. if i had a passat or another touareg they could discount another 3k for vw loyalty. not a bad deal.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:09 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I looked at renting a truck from Enterprise in my area and they would not allow towing and even on vehicles with intergrated hitches they were removed.
Enterprise has a separate truck rental department, not your regular neighborhood rental locations. They have F-250s and allow towing.

The catch is that one must have a corporate account (pretty much a snap to set up) to rent from them. No CDL requirement either. Call your local erac branch and ask them for the number of the closest truck rental location.

Quick Reply: Tow Vehicle: Cayenne, Touareg or GL450?