Sponsored by:

My understanding of 6 pt mounting issues in a 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007 | 08:41 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
My seating position is more upright and the idea of the sub belt is to keep a more equal pressure on the lap and shoulder portions of the harness to distribute load evenly.
There is truth in that, but the sub does more than that. It also can be setup to control forward "sub-roll" of the hips and downward travel of the torso. If it is a proper cradle setup with good mounting, a sub can actually reduce chest loads by engaging the entire belt system more quickly, thereby reducing kinetic energy.

My shear comment pertains to the pulling of the belt and mounting bolts. The reverse direction load imposed on the sub belts would cause the mounting bolts to shear as apposed to being in withdrawl
I dissagree. The load on the fastener is the same, albeit in a different direction. The big difference is how the load is rendered. If forward mounted, the load is not opposed by the mount and direction of the belt. That load is put into the seat base - concentrated at the pass through hole - as the forward force tries to pull the belt up.

If mounted aft, the force is directly countered by the sub belt "pulling back" in more linear opposition. This is the "pushing/pulling the rope" reference that Greg made. An astute reference indeed.
Old 03-09-2007 | 08:53 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here;

Let's clear up the mystery and set it straight, at least in terms of sub performance. I have just published an article I wrote on this to my website. Take this link for a discussion on how subs work.

http://www.redlinerennsport.com/CrashBiomechSub.pdf
Old 03-09-2007 | 12:52 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

So by all that can I infer that for my 25 min DE sessions, the "sit on sub" method is fine, but that for longer sessions or if I went to Club, that through the seat to some yet to be determined, almost certainly compromised unless fab & welding is involved, anchor point?
Old 03-09-2007 | 01:00 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice succinct article, btw! THX!
Old 03-09-2007 | 01:17 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
So by all that can I infer that for my 25 min DE sessions, the "sit on sub" method is fine, but that for longer sessions or if I went to Club, that through the seat to some yet to be determined, almost certainly compromised unless fab & welding is involved, anchor point?
Hey;

Two things. 1) If it does not bother you to wear a sub in that fashion, then go for it. It works. 2) If it does not bother you, it is likely a sign that it is not tight enough!

Test: If after tightening the lap belt as tight as possible, the lap belt rises to any significant degree when you tighten the shoulder belts, then the sub is adjusted too loose.
Old 03-09-2007 | 01:40 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good rules of thumb...thx.

Quick Reply: My understanding of 6 pt mounting issues in a 993