Hoosier R6 break-in procedure

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:12 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Hoosier R6 break-in procedure

How many of you follow the recommended Hoosier break in period which calls for 10-15 laps at various speed followed by a 24+ hour cure time. Any experiece with the different results following vs. not following?

Thanks;

Don
Old 03-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

I must confess to driving up on stickers and just running a race weekend, so I must defer to those that actually go through a proper heat cycle process. The set in the garage has nearly 20 heat cycles on them. Almost out of rubber in a couple of spots, but in all likelyhood, getting hard as a rock about now.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:58 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I got a new set last year and they did not seem too good until after few races as I did not "heat cycle" them as above. This year I got a new set and ran them 2 sessions, then rested them a day and they did not seem good either, last year's set with 6 races on them were just as fast.

Has anyone had real success with The Tire Rack's heat cycled tires? I don't have time to heat cycle a set before Atlanta (destroyed my new set at Sebring in a spin out).
Old 03-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always run mine right out of the box. They go on before the morning warmup & are scrubbed in for qualifying. I may try to cycle a set next weekend to take to RA.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:29 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had TR heat cycle & shave my Kumhos before. Grippy, even wear - very happy going that route. I know of people who have "heat cycled" by taking the car out for a 1/2 hour run around the block, retiring them for a few days & running them, and were pretty happy with the results (FWIW).
Old 03-07-2007, 10:19 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

FWIW...Will at PMR strongly reccomends 24 hour cool down to not suffer premature wear. But driving style and car weight may allow others to get decent longevity and performance. If you have to run them, run them.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm in the process of testing this situation. Last w/e I ran a new set for a w/e and ran another new set for only 20 minutes and removed them from the car. I will have both sets at VIR next w/e and will report back which set felt better.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by renvagn
FWIW...Will at PMR strongly reccomends 24 hour cool down to not suffer premature wear. But driving style and car weight may allow others to get decent longevity and performance. If you have to run them, run them.
Yes Will is a believer and he and I have discussed this several times, but I'm not certain that the new R6s need the care and feeding as the previous Hoosier models. I haven't noticed a difference either way after running through a few sets of R6s.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:13 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do heat cycle my tires. Usualy on very first session. Slowly bring them up to the temp and take them off till next day. I'm happy with with results so far. Normaly I'm running out off heat cycles with even wear and plenty meat left on tires (but my car is light and easy on tires). Overall I like Hoosier R6's.
Mike M
Old 03-07-2007, 11:54 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Disclaimer--This story is much longer than it needs to me, but bear with me.
I used the R6s for the first time last year at the Road America club race. I bought two sets of the discontinued 05s from Hoosier Tire at half price, and had been running them for most of the year. I had my first wins on them (2 firsts in F class) so I was happy with their performance to say the least. I found that the late 04s and 05s had excellent life.

So back to Road America. This was a hell of a weekend. I had installed a 915 tranny with a 7:31 ring and pinion for lower gearing---stock is 8:31--I run a 79 SC Prepared car in F so it is legal to swap ring and pinion. I was running on Friday practice and the trans decided to refuse to shift into the 3rd/4th gear plane. I checked what I could check and diagnosed it as something internal. ****! WTF

So I drove home 6.5 hrs to Springfield, IL. Left RA at 6pm got home at 12:30am.I have a lift--makes the job a lot easier. Dropped the engine and trans, swapped the bad trans for the good stock trans. I got about 1.5 hours of sleep. Loaded the car back up and headed for RA. Rolled into RA just as my group was heading out for the fun races--last session of the day.
I attended the RA dinner/party in a daze. Went to bed--Enduro Qualifiying awaits.

Sunday--I ran the warmup--car felt great. I qualified on 04s that had about 10 heat cycles on them. Enduro qual. I turned 2:40.xx and qualified 3rd.

So Enduro race -I raced on 05s with 4 heat cyles including a srint qual. and race. Car ran great for the race. I ran my pit stop about 30 seconds long.
I had a great battle toward the end of the race with Andrew Jenks. Last lap
I had the run on him out of the Kink. I got up beside him going into Canada--Dust cloud up ahead--yellow flag. I dropped in behind Jenks- did not want to risk the black flag. I finished behind him in fourth position. 26 seconds behind the F class winner-you do the math.

Onto Monday and the Sprint--this is where the R6s finally show up.
I bought a new set of R6s after the enduro. You know-If I can finish 4th on 05s, well hell I should win on R6s.
I go out for qual on my new Super Fast sticker R6s. I followed the directions on the handout from Hoosier. I ran my pressures about 3 lbs higher than normal for R6s. I came off the track at about 40 psi hot. I turned a 2:40.6 and qualified seventh. Pole was 2:38.7.

I picked up a bad vibration during qual. Car had oversteer.On my left rear tire the center "section"had delaminated. It was like one of the layers pealed off the tire. I asked some fellow racers their opinion and a couple of them had this problem with the R6s also if they did not scrub them and let them sit. I swapped rear tires side to side and kept the pressures up for the sprint race (40 psi hot).

Sprint race-
Two GT5s got in front of me on the first lap. One of the most frustrating races I have been in. One of the GT5s was insanely fast in a straight line, and a moving road block in the corners. He was finally black flagged for blocking me, but my race was finished-- the F cars were in a pack about 20 seconds ahead of me. I finished seventh.

Now, about the R6s
What did I do wrong? I was used to running the 05s as stickers with no problems.
Did I run the pressure too high for the R6s? In the hand out from Hoosier it says to run the pressure higher on the first run. Did I just get a bad tire?
I am not trying to bad mouth The R6s. I know everybody loves this tire. I am just trying to get the correct set-up info.

Sorry about the insanely long post. I just figured you guys could relate to the insanity.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:10 AM
jaydubya
Racer

I think 40 psi for the R6 on an SC is too high. I assume your car is around 2550 lbs w/o driver or fuel? I found 34 front - 36 rear hot worked well on my SC. I started up around 37-39 and dropped the pressures from there.

I ran through two sets of R6s last season, heat cycling them and letting them sit *at least* 24 hours before using again. They wore well, no problems with delam or anything like that.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that most "Hoosier" people who try and run them like the older tires have problems. They like lower pressures. I started at 33/35 hot and slowly worked my way up to 37/39. As I raised the pressures the grip kept improving, but once I got to the 40 mark it dropped off precipitously. I have found that if I start them low, and let them work up to 37/39 they will stay there no matter how hard I push them, they never get greasy, and they wear great. YMMV as every car (and driver) is different.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I ran a set this past weekend at VIR, and they were a set that I had scuffed, and then pulled off.

I had ran them in December, then once in Jan, and then this event. On Friday I ran a 1 hr session, and a 1 hr 15 min session along with about a 20-30 min session.

By Saturday my cycle count on these tires was up around 10-12, and I ran my fastest lap ever.
Starting pressures were 31.5 left side, 32 right side, pressures ended up around 38-40, even on the long 1 hr sessions on Friday.

What does all of this mean. Don't have a clue... Just sharing my experience....

All I know is once they get 20 cycles on them - SOAK 'EM with Formula V!

Brian
Old 03-08-2007, 10:32 AM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

I dont cycle anymore either, But when I did I ran 4 more PSI than usual during the cycle laps
Old 03-08-2007, 04:59 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

I concur with the lower tire temps for the 06's compared to the 04's and my car is 3,000 lbs. Generally keeping them around 39 - 39 hot.

Quick Reply: Hoosier R6 break-in procedure