Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Q's: pull up or pull down? how are GForce belts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Astroman

I have the GForce pull downs, and they are FIA rated. I like pull down better, because I spent 30 years flying Army helicopters, and they were pull down. By the way, the Army still has belts a "condition change" item, not "time change". To the SCCA, PHHITTTTTTTTT!

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 03-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Yeah, like JackOlsen said, the pull-down belts have the FIA 5-year rating, while the pull-up belts like mine only have the 2-year SFI rating.

I wonder why there's a difference. Anyone know??
Old 03-06-2007, 04:52 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom W
I also have Schroth HANS hybrid pull up now. I like them a lot better than the standard Schroth pull down.
Is your system FIA or only SFI? I too was looking to get pull up lap belts and pull down torso belts. I had no idea that there was a rating delta. I learns something every day and sometimes even remember it too .
Old 03-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Schroth are FIA cert. +1 on Scroth 2" pull up, I'll never go back.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:59 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FIA vs. non-FIA is probably just a cost issue. It takes big $$ to put products through those tests and small companies will have the high selling versions get the cert but not the low selling versions. Every different type needs to be tersted which for GForce would be 8-10 types. I've been involved in bicycle helmet and life jacket testing and sometimes it's $10,000 per type.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:57 PM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am relatively thin and have a Recaro PP seat and I could not get the G-force belts tight enogh in the pull down model. The pull up works just fine.

rickdm
Old 03-07-2007, 09:23 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Bob...do you have any pics of how you mounted the 6 pt subs on the Schroth or any other?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Geoffrey said, the Schroth are FIA.

FIA versus SFI is especially a cost issue if you race. FIA are good for 5 years and SFI are good for 2 years. FIA seats also do not require a seat back brace in NASA. I don't like the brace so I ensure I have an FIA seat that is in date.

Jos: I can take a few pics of the mounting for my cabriolet if you want - the roll bar is long gone but the sub bolts are still installed. While not optimal, I went through the floor pan immmediately behind the ECU (about where the seat mounts end) and used steel plates for extra strength below the floor and big washers on the inside. (How are you enjoying the wrong coast?)
Old 03-08-2007, 08:35 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

TOM!!!

So great to hear from you. NYC is good, but the season is shorter Is that the new Turtle????

Yes, I'd love some pics, thx...trying to get all official-like (being a new father I suppose helps in that regard).

Quick Reply: Two Q's: pull up or pull down? how are GForce belts?