Sponsored by:

Trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bbh03
I had planned to put an equalizer hitch on (recommended over the dual cam by the local dealer, although he sells both).
My understanding is that the dual cam sway protection and the equilizer hitch are complementary and not a replacement, one for the other. Customer support wrote me: "A Dual Cam Sway control system works with a Weight Distribution kit to control the sway.

The Dual cam will only work if you have a (WDK)."

I'm thinking of a Touareg with air suspension load leveling, and that is not compatible with a WDK, I am told, so no dual cam either.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:12 AM
bbh03
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my research, it seems like dual cam is the sway controll used by reese and the equalizer uses what they call 4 point sway control, 2 of which are friction sway control and the other two are spring bars. I am referring to the two competing products, both of which are WDH and sway control in one. I think Reese calls it Staight Line or something. But yes, sway control is used in conjunction with a WDH.

Reese/Draw Tite (same company)

http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/WD/w...FSZTUAodlSi0cA

Equalizer:

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

My tow vehicle has an air suspension too (x5) and when I spoke to a trailer dealer (reputable place here among PCA guys) he said that the WDH could be used and would provide benefit. I don't know if that stands for Toureg/Cayenne though. Not sure why it wouldn't be compatible in either case. Reagrding brand he basically said somethign like Reese - good, eualizer - better.

For me, it will be whichever installs better on the V-nose trailer. I think the Reese chain hangers wil interfere witht he floor more.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys.

This picture shows my setup. I have an electrical winch mounted on an aluminium plate. A battery (in box) supplies power to the winch. The blue cables from the battery to the tow vehicle supplies the charge to the trailer battery as well as serving as a feed for power from the tow vehicle.

The conventional feed for the trailer lights is through the coiled black wire.

Johan
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2007, 12:53 PM
bbh03
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked into the pin out for the 7pin trailer connector. There is a pin for supplying current, most likely for battery charging. Is it as simple as hooking this lead up to the trailer battery (and grounding the battery to the trailer)?

Johan, why did you go with two thick extra leads for battery charging?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:42 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian

You are quite right that you can use a positive feed from the 7 pin to charge the trailer battery BUT be very careful when a load is put on the trailer battery. If there is high load on the battery additional current would flow through the 7 pin and this load could easily exceed the the capacity of the 7 pin wiring. You would then find that the wiring on you 7 pin is burnt (due to an overload) or a fuse would continously blow.

It is safer to run the heavy cables because you know it would not overload.

Additional advantages of running heavy cables are:
1) Your tow vehicle battery would serve as an source of energy for your winch;
2) If your tow vehicles battery is low the cables from the trailer battery would direct current through your tow vehicles system to power you starter etc.

Regards

Quick Reply: Trailer wiring