Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 993 DE Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris- are you suggesting that perhaps PAG changed the lower a-arm bushing that allows for the radial deflection (which causes the kinematic toe due to the side loading)? That would kinda make sense, for example, if the old bushings were too soft, then maybe the toe could get easily upset and even start going in-out-in-out. A harder bushing might increase stability but decrease the amount of kinematic toe effect.

That is exactly what I am saying. The amount of deflection needs to be tailored to the amount of grip and the cornering stiffness of the tires. 18 inch tires likely have much more cornering stiffness than the 17s the early 993s came with.

They may have also decided to use a rubber compound with some damping to reduce oscillations like you describe.

Without changing the hub carriers or subframes, Porsche could not have adjusted the suspension geometry.

Chris Cervelli
Spline Technologies
Old 03-06-2007, 02:18 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool, thanks Chris. Interesting theory, and it sounds plausible. However, you say:
Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
...Without changing the hub carriers or subframes, Porsche could not have adjusted the suspension geometry...
Why not? I.e. let's say they just lengthened the lower a-arm and shortened the 2 upper arms. Isn't that possible? Someone said that they noticed a difference in geometry of the old and new parts.

(p.s. I suspect you know that PCA did change the subframe somehow, but I'm guessing that's not relevant to your point)
Old 03-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

Cool, thanks Chris. Interesting theory, and it sounds plausible. However, you say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
...Without changing the hub carriers or subframes, Porsche could not have adjusted the suspension geometry...
Why not? I.e. let's say they just lengthened the lower a-arm and shortened the 2 upper arms. Isn't that possible? Someone said that they noticed a difference in geometry of the old and new parts.

(p.s. I suspect you know that PCA did change the subframe somehow, but I'm guessing that's not relevant to your point)
I don't think the length of the arms changed. We know that if there was a length change it would have been quite small, say under 5mm. (Otherwise there would have been problems with alignments, tire clearance, etc) The slots for the alignment adjustments are about 12mm long, at least. So making small length changes on the arms would not have helped anything.

The lower a-arm may have been changed. I believe that all A-Arms fit all subframes though, so the pickup points on the subframe and the arm lengths couldn't have changed.

If somebody can confirm that they have an A-Arm that won't fit a subframe then I am wrong about this.

Chris Cervelli
Spline Technologies
Old 03-07-2007, 02:31 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Chris- do you or anyone else know WHICH of the bushings in the lower a-arm are the ones that allow for radial deflection, thus causing the kinematic toe? Frere's book says it's the rear one, but if so I'm surprised that people are putting monoballs in that joint. That would reduce the KT effect drastically. Perhaps he was mistaken and it's actually the front bushing.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

It is the rear bushing of the lower A-arm. The forward bushing is already a monoball in stock form.

The toe correction this bushing gives you is not really appropriate for a race car so I encourage people to install monoballs etc. On the other hand, the 993 Cups used 993 RS lower A-Arms and they handle ok. They do not exhibit the oscillations that have been discussed.

The kinematic toe adjustment is separate from all this and should be covered in an entirely new discussion.

Chris Cervelli
Spline Technologies
Old 03-07-2007, 05:06 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Thanks Chris. (Joel stated the opposite above and confused me a bit) Looking at a diagram it's obvious how a soft rear lower a-arm bushing results in additional toe due to either cornering forces or braking forces.

I can't help wonder if simply updating the lower a-arm would address this occassional instability issue. I'd love to see if they changed the bushing stiffness.
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2007, 05:11 PM
jmreiser
Instructor

I stand corrected on the end that pivots. Chris just explained to me that the rubber on that end is just an enclosure for a monoball on all versions.

Last edited by jmreiser; 03-07-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:46 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Couldn't it be different for RSRs versus street cars? Perhaps everybody is right.

Quick Reply: 95 993 DE Car