Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 993 DE Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 07:29 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Listen to Joel, oh what would he know? I read his column on the PCA website every month as he helps out numerous tech questions. Joel, hope the trans worked out okay.

PS. watch your eccentrics if you do any work under there and mark them with nail polish. I was asked to drive a buddies 95 GAC 3.8 on the south course Pocono as he just had it aligned by a new shop. Over 100mph on the bowl it would try and trade ends and required serious steering inputs. I came in and compared notes with his scary ride. He sent it down to a knowledgeable local shop to find the rear tow set + on one side - on the other (we think it moved from being loose). Car was steering right all on it's own and that was the back end!!!!!!!

Oh, we had to remove the stains on the seat after the correction was made.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:43 PM
cooz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to answer chris' question about passive rear steering (hi Joel....correct me if i'm wrong)...

i believe the 993 multi-link rear suspension design causes the (loaded) outside rear wheel to have additional toe-in during cornering from rubber bushing flex.

norm mandell
Old 03-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Ahh. I have moved to fixed rear toe links on my 996.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:59 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

What parts were changed? I have replaced all of the "control arms" in the rear and taken oujt all of the rubber and repalced it with the teflon/polyurethane bushings. Is that why I've not noticed it?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:38 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read the PCA tech article. Joel has all the part numbers there. I also witnessed this change being done in Joels shop. Parts are CLEARLY different in length. I have posted this before and not gotten a good response. Just trying to help. No reply needed.

andy
Old 03-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Peter R.
Pro

What is a PCA article and where can I find it ? I'm interested in doing the mod also.

Thx,

Peter R.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:45 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter R.
What is a PCA article and where can I find it ? I'm interested in doing the mod also.

Thx,

Peter R.
Porsche club of america website. go to tech section..... you can search threads there. Joel does a very comprehensive job. I am not how he finds time to reply to all of the emails he gets.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 PM
jmreiser
Instructor

Thanks Bob. And yes the trans thing worked out fine, thanks again.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:51 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I just replaced the control arm on my 95 and I can tell you that there is no difference between .00 and .01. As far as .02 PN (96+) I have heard from the wreckers that the rear control arms look exactly the same (I dont know first hand however). The porsche documentation does not make note of problems mixing PN on the rear suspension although the PCA tech site states that may be due to mixing control arms. I could not find a decent .00 replacement arm on my 95 so I replaced it with a .01 (95 cars).

Like someone said, seems like porsche was in a state of flux with all the revs of the control arms. However, no one has been able to substantiate the differences in them. Holding both the .00 and .01, I can tell you first hand there is no form and fit difference in the dimensions, bushing, rubber etc.... Maybe the difference is due to materials or bush manufacturers?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:52 PM
jmreiser
Instructor

Originally Posted by cooz
to answer chris' question about passive rear steering (hi Joel....correct me if i'm wrong)...

i believe the 993 multi-link rear suspension design causes the (loaded) outside rear wheel to have additional toe-in during cornering from rubber bushing flex.

norm mandell
Right. However it's not the toe link bushing that does this, it's the loose one at the forward end of the lower A-arm. I heard of someone replacing all of their rubber bushings with monoballs, but you don't do that one. They did so by accident, and the car did some really interesting things.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

Can anyone specifiy exactly what was changed?? </>crickets</>

My guess is bushing strength, if anything.

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Spline Technologies
Old 03-05-2007, 03:47 PM
jmreiser
Instructor

Hey Chris- They say they made "suspension geometry changes". They may have changed the bushing material, no info there. They did change the camber links, kinematic links, and the A-arms. There was a later change to the toe links for all models, not part of this change. No info as to what was changed or why.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

This whole thing does not really make sense unless it was the bushings only that changed.

It will be a tough thing to test and be sure that is what Porsche did.

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Spline Technologies
Old 03-06-2007, 03:07 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I really wish I could have looked at an .02 control arm and compared it to the .01 and .00. Fact is, I did not see an .02 out of the 4 or 5 rear ends at the salvage yard. Maybe other p-car owners sucked up all the .02s to upgrade? If I go to the dealer only the .02s are available. Again I confirmed that Porsche does not warn the dealerships that mixing the 3 PN control arms is a bad thing...

If you believe others problems can be attributed to mixed PNs, you better budget $1k in 2 .02 (latest rev) control arms.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:27 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
This whole thing does not really make sense unless it was the bushings only that changed.

It will be a tough thing to test and be sure that is what Porsche did.

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Spline Technologies
Chris- are you suggesting that perhaps PAG changed the lower a-arm bushing that allows for the radial deflection (which causes the kinematic toe due to the side loading)? That would kinda make sense, for example, if the old bushings were too soft, then maybe the toe could get easily upset and even start going in-out-in-out. A harder bushing might increase stability but decrease the amount of kinematic toe effect.

Quick Reply: 95 993 DE Car