Sponsored by:

Does shaving street tires stop chunking

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 07:36 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Does shaving street tires stop chunking

I started some DE events last year with my Bridgestone re730,s. I have an 86 944 Turbo. I plan to do more this year. I picked up some phone dials w/tires which I will use for the street. I 'll use the fuchs with the 730's for the track. I have been told my strret tires will start chunking. What exactly is this. Does a chunk of the tread rip off due to the extreme abuse? Can I shave the 730 to prevent this and how much tread should be left.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:28 PM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpine, Chunking is caused by the individual tire blocks getting very hot and not having the ability to dissapate the heat. This causes bits to tear off. My feeling regarding shaving is that you will not get any great benefit from it in regards to the chunking, especially if you run some early season events where the track temps are considerably lower( I say this because I see you are from Mass.). I would save the tread so you get more life out of the tires.

James
Old 01-22-2002, 12:32 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chunking can get so bad that shaving actually increases the tire life for competition use. If you're not driving 8/10 ths it shouldn't be an issue - stick with the full tread.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:17 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adjusting your air pressures will help reduce the chunking that you were warned about. You will end up lowering your pressures from what you run on the street. The best(cheapest)way is to put some shoe polish on the side of the tire where the tread meets the sidewall. When your pressures are correct the polish will be worn off to the edge of the tread.

Have fun.

Quick Reply: Does shaving street tires stop chunking