Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche can no longer compete at top level

Old 01-11-2002, 09:36 PM
William S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Porsche can no longer compete at top level

We all know of the excuse Porsche uses about not racing in the prototype classes because all of the engineers and resources are tied up with Cayenne development.

I fear, however, that the truth is that Porsche no longer has the budget or enthusiasm to produce winning prototype cars. In the old days, when Porsche dominated the top classes of sports car racing (late '60s through late '80s), they really didn't have much competition. Ford had left. Ferrari was concentrating on F1. Heck, even the Penske team of a dozen guys, out-engineered and out-qualified the Wyer team with their year-old 512 Ferrari. I think, during this era, Porsche outspent the competition and was the best place for the talented racing engineer to work.

My point is that those were truly the golden years for Porsche racing fans, but that era is over. Porsche is now just a small company without adequate resources to compete against the big car companies who now take big-time auto racing seriously. I'd guess that whatever talented racing engineers they had recently have left for more fruitful teams.

Can anybody out there please convince me that I'm wrong (I don't like the idea of Porsche losing its soul like this)??
Old 01-11-2002, 11:16 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I doubt anyone can be convinced to abandon their strongly held convictions...

Those golden years of prototype racing weren't just Porsche's... they were EVERYONE's golden era... from the mid 50's to the era of 935/956/962 domination, prototype racing reached its apogee - the cars, technology, drivers, competition, courses - will it ever be better? I doubt it, not for "my generation".

Racing itself has changed, not just Porsche. Where are the "big car companies" trying to beat Audi? In the golden age, Ferrari, Porsche, etc. would enter up to 10 cars! Now, the Big Players just take turns making multi-year assaults on "branding". A guy w/ racing in his blood, like Piech, is exceptional. Don't blame Porsche AG for navigating a course that allows them to (maybe) survive, while we yet demand that they race. But if they do, don't expect it be like the golden age of our youth.

It won't be, and it shouldn't.

btw, even though Weyer was "factory backed", in those days the technology was still evolving and insurgents could win, head-to-head, if they were funded, talented & lucky. Today, insurgents can only win when the Big Boys are unlucky or mia.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:29 AM
Doc
Racer

Talking

Timing is everything...

NAIAS 2002 Event Coverage]

Today at the NAIAS 2002, Porsche announced the Carrera GT supercar will be produced, with market launch in 2003. The mid-engine V10 Carrera GT design study debuted in the fall of 2000 as an open-top car, and Porsche said work on a closed-top production version is well underway.

Porsche confirmed today that the Carrera GT will meet the performance figures first announced when the design study was unveiled to the press at the Louvre, during the 2000 Paris Motor Show. The Carrera GT will be powered by a mid-engine 5.5-liter V-10 engine producing 558 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque. The Carrera GT will be capable of a top speed of 205 miles per hour. Porsche officials stated that 1000 Carrera GTs will be produced and the U.S. price will be between $350,000 and $400,000, as originally announced.

[Porsche Web Site]

Porsche Executive Board reaches decision to build the Carrera GT

Stuttgart/Detroit. Following detailed studies the executive board of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. has now given the "green light": The Carrera GT will be built. The Stuttgart sports car manufacturer wants to produce 1,000 units of this high performance sports car, the market launch of which is currently planned for the second half of the year 2003. This announcement was made today by the Chairman of the Board, Dr. Wendelin Wiedeking, in a press conference held at the Detroit Motor Show.

Porsche first presented a study based on this high performance sports car series at the Paris Automobile Salon on 28 September 2000. Public reaction to this completely new Porsche was positive throughout the world. Wiedeking: "With the Carrera GT we want to do more than just demonstrate our technical competence in the sports car segment. This vehicle also mirrors the strength, the dynamic and the self-confidence of the company and the Porsche brand".

The construction of the Carrera GT is based on pure racing car engineering. This applies to the chassis and the understructure as well to the new V10 engine and the six gear gearbox. With 5.5 litres cubic capacity, a torque of 600 Newton meters and 558 H.P. the Carrera GT guarantees top speeds of over 330 kilometres per hour.

January 08, 2002
Old 01-12-2002, 01:39 PM
William S
Advanced

Kevin,

Very well said. Motorsports has certainly changed a lot in our lifetime.

Hopefully, Porsche will prove me wrong. But perhaps, given the reality of motorsports these days, developing and selling production-based racecars isn't a bad idea.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:54 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, well prototype racing may have changed, but that didn't stop Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW, and Audi from racing, and winning.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:25 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts
I find it interesting that Porsches stange pull out from Le Mans racing a few years back coinsided with Audi's entry into the game. Audi's CEO is Ferdinand Piech, son of Ferry Porsche's sister. He has as much ownership stake in Porsche as any of the other grandsons of the elder Ferdinand Porsche. Perhaps Mr. Piech doesn't want to see Porsche compete against Audi for a while. Just a thought.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:42 PM
Bill H. Ocala Fl.
Banned

Actually not a bad thought. We certainly have heard that comment more than once.

I do believe Porsche will return to more Factory efforts in the LMP and GTs classes and not to long from now.

But for now you have Rennlist Sponsoring the only Factory Backed Porsche team at Daytona, and they have a real chance to win the class, and be in the top finishers of the 24 hours.

I hope the Rennlist participants will help support John D's efforts to support the Porsche Team. John has done a lot for the Porsche Community and we at Suncoast are very glad to do all we can to assist his efforts.

If you are at the race please look us up at the Rennlist/Thalist/Suncoast Motor Home in the paddock area.

Here is a link to the Racers Group websiteRacers Group

Trending Topics

Old 01-24-2002, 01:59 AM
William S
Advanced

Originally posted by Cupcar:
<STRONG>Audi's CEO is Ferdinand Piech, son of Ferry Porsche's sister.</STRONG>
and the boy-wonder grandfather of most of my favorite Porsches: 906 through 917.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:33 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
and the boy-wonder grandfather of most of my favorite Porsches: 906 through 917.
Not only that, he's fathered something like a dozen kids by a number of different mothers.

His biography will make one interesting read...

M in C
Old 01-28-2002, 08:20 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

and now retired,
Ciao,