Safety Devices Roll Cages??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 10:09 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Safety Devices Roll Cages??

Does anyone have experience with roll cages for Safety devices? The price seems right but I'm curious about the quality. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:52 AM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jim:

I have one in my RS conversion. Very good fit and quality.

Lee in D.C.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:22 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
Jim:
I too have one in my car. I chose it after getting several recommendations from Club Racers who had them in their own cars. It fits in nice and tight. The big thing is that it mounts to the longitudinals, not the floor. I was told that the their design was actually roll over tested.

I got mine from Stable Energies in NJ. Great customer service.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:04 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I looked around at all DE's, etc and the best fitting/quality one I saw was the Safety Devices cage by far. I now have it in my '87 930. Make sure you get all the bars, i.e. knee bar, harness bar, door bars, etc.

Jim
Old 02-22-2003, 06:54 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one in my 93 RS America. The quality and fit is excellent.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:09 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by JimB:
<strong>Does anyone have experience with roll cages for Safety devices? The price seems right but I'm curious about the quality. Thanks.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Jim,
If you are willing to get your car to Indianapolis I know a true artist that happens to build cages. He builds them mostly for sprint cars,and stock cars but he has a passion for Porsches and really builds a nice cage for reasonable $$. Let me know if you want his name, #'s.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:41 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg, I would like his name. Maybe I can link a new roll cage with a trip to Putman. Thanks.

Thanks to everyone else. It sounds like the Saftey Devices cage is the way to go.
Jim
Old 02-24-2003, 12:58 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
Who sells the Safety Devices roll bars?
Old 02-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stable Energies...they appear to be the only retailer in the US.

Mike
Old 02-24-2003, 10:35 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Tweeks might also sell them. At least they did and the picture in their catalog looks just like one.

Jim
Old 02-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Wil R. Ferch
Advanced

Just as another data point...I find that this cage is very good from a design standpoint, but we got terrible service from Stable Energies. The rear section was "off" by 3" on the comparitive diagonal measurements, and we were told by Stable to simply "portapower" it back into shape !! It wasn't until we got the head man ( Tom ) at Safety Devices engaged ( from England), that we were offered a replacement rear section that finally *did* fit.
--Wil Ferch
Old 02-28-2003, 03:25 AM
schubee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does anyone have pictures of their cages. I'm also in the market for one. I was looking at a DAS bolt on rollbar but I think a cage is the right choice.

Thanks in advance for the pix!
Old 02-28-2003, 05:14 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
I just had one made by TRE Motorsports in Los Angeles. They're prototyping a bolt-in model that allows me to remove door bars for street use.

I'm very happy with it, and you can get them do it the way you want for a comparable price to the off-the-shelf bolt-ins.

info@tremotorsports.com
Old 02-28-2003, 10:39 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I ordered the Saftey Devices cage from Stable Energies yesterday and it's already on a truck. So far the service has been great but I haven't seen the end product yet.

It has removeable door bars but will still be hard to get in and out of. I really don't use my car on the street so it's no big deal for me. I have very detailed pics they sent that I would be happy to email. I'm pretty sure they are too large to post.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:41 AM
Al P.
Pro

My car is currently in Stable Energies shop having a cage installed. While Bob is doing mine he's documenting the process to be posted on the web site and will present the program at the March Northern New Jersey PCA meeting. I also have one of the Safety Devices roll bars in one of my other cars that I installed. In both instances the bar and the cage fit nicely, they bolt to mounts welded to the longitudinals and in the cage the door bars are bolt in so they can be removed for street use. Can't say I've anything but great service from Bob.

Quick Reply: Safety Devices Roll Cages??