Sponsored by:

Bought a Cup Car - Need Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:35 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkPcar
I've tried for a couple of days to reach Cup Car Solutions with no return call. Anyone have better contact info?? Also, do you all use jack stands like they sell?
It may take a few days, but Phil will get back to you (he has a day job). I just ordered 2 wands from him on Monday.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:25 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Kurves
You'll need a 6" extension if you want to use the tie down hoops.

Most CUP drivers on the west coast - at least in the POC which is the majority use either Michelin (about $1800 plus shipping) or Yokohama.
You're right, I meant Yokos instead of Hoosiers. So, with the new correct size a new set up isn't required, right?

Also, I'm not sure I understand how the tie down hoops work and why an extension is required.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:28 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

What is a "Wand"???
Old 02-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The transportation hoops are metal hoops that have been welded to a center locking wheel cap and nicely cad plated. You slide it over the center screw and install the wheel nut. This allows a tie down strap to clip to the metal hoop and the car is tied down at each wheel. This is how your car would have been shipped here from Germany. Many people use this method. I no longer tie mine down in this manner and don't like it because it stresses the suspension and alignment. I'm not saying it moves if tightened properly, but I still don't like it.

As far as setup, I think it depends on what you mean. It would be foolish to think that the same setup can be uses on the same car with different tires or from day-to-day. There are so many variables that will affect the car's handling. For our purposes though, you can probably find a compromise alignment setting that will work for either tire, but will be optimized for neither.

A "wand" is the air jack lance which is the tool that attaches to the air line and is slipped over the air jack recipticle and used to provide air to the air jacks which raises the car. Unless you are Ron Jeremy and then it may mean something else alltogether...
Old 02-16-2007, 03:43 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just heard from Phil and placed my order for saftey collars and a wand.

Geoffrey, thanks for the info and help. What method do you use for tie down if not the hoops?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine is a 964RSR, not Cup so it will be different. My chassis has tie down spots as part of the chassis in the front and I use some tabs I bought from Autometrics which go on the rear lower shock bolt and I attach to them. Depending on the design of your wheels, you may be able use straps through the spokes. I have a set of the transportation hooks that I might be willing to let go if you need them.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:56 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

I never got the tie-down hoops, the F-L crew never seems to use them after the cars come in from the factory.

The rear is easy to tie down around the rear crossmember suspension thing (be careful the headers are hot!). On the front I tied down to the front wheels, the net loops that go over the wheels are probably better than going through the spokes like I did.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:37 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark,
Congrats on the new car! You'll love it

Autometrics makes tie-downs for our cups as well & they work great! That is the only way to go in my opinion. Quick & easy.

Good luck with the new wheels!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Mark,
I do have a used wand and collars. Just confirmed. Let me know if You need them.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:26 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

You need this http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/prec4d600f.html

Plus on the wand, remember that you need over 400 PSi to get the car up on the air jacks. You'll need a 500 PSI regulator and special air hose.....
Old 02-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I also have a regulator...
Old 02-16-2007, 10:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
Plus on the wand, remember that you need over 400 PSi to get the car up on the air jacks. You'll need a 500 PSI regulator and special air hose.....
Yup, I went to a local hydraulics shop and they made me a 2000psi hose to custom length with the correct fittings, Parker hose, very flexible.
I posted the details a while back IIRC.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:45 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Glen,
Thanks, but I ordered the Speedwand from Cup Car Solutions and I already have my high pressure regulator and hose.

Mark
Old 02-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Caddell
Instructor

Nice car Mark! Let me know when and where you are going to run it. As always you can expect we will help in any way we can!

Roger
Old 02-17-2007, 11:36 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Roger! You should have your biz link in your sig.

For those that don't know - Roger is the nations top expert (factory national trainer) on AIM data acquisition systems. More Here

And his son Andrew is the Spec Miata National Champion who just won an MX-5 Cup race car from Mazda (looking for sponsors).

That's Roger with the laser pointer...

Quick Reply: Bought a Cup Car - Need Stuff