Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mount Subs to Floor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:24 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts

Flimsy floors are really no weaker than boxed sills and tunnels. The boxes fool us because they are stiffer since boxed but often of the same thickness metal as the floors. IMO welded custom seat frames to the sill and tunnel should also have vertical sheet added so that the frames are welded to the sill and tunnel in 3d. Better yet seats should be connected to the cages not tunnels or sills. I also think anchors (lap belts) should always be double shear. You can either make them or buy weld in pieces from guys like stock car products. People complain about cutting holes and welding in cars that are dual use but really we would look pretty silly getting hurt because we did not want to cut a hole in some carpet or weld in a tab now would we.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:04 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jester911
I just want to make the harness mounts completely independent of the seat rails/mounts and make it safe as well. I figure since I am starting with a clean slate then it will be easier to do it once. I could always redo the seat mount later on as it will be independent of the work I am doing now.
Good thought process;

While your solution is still relying on the floor pan as the bearer of the load, you are spreading that load a lot wider than with just a few bolts & washers. It is an improvement. Perhaps even a good compromise. You have to wreck to find out. Feel free to skip that part.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:05 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Chris;

Looks like a good setup!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:22 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Flimsy floors are really no weaker than boxed sills and tunnels.
Ummm....

The MATERIAL itself is indeed no stronger, but the way it is utilized is night & day. Yes, sills are sometimes the same material. In the case of a 911, the center tunnel is thicker in many places. There are also other assemblies inside it (cross beams, webs, channels, belt mount stiffeners, etc.) that make it a bit stiffer than just a simple box. The rocker sill is indeed a multi-piece assembly with inner layers running in various spot. Again, not a simple one layer box.

The big difference is the angle the load is rendered into them. Sheetmetal is quite strong when loaded in shear, as opposed to anything deviating from a parallel loading. When loading it in the perpendicular - like a sub mount - it is at its weakest without some sort of reinforcement.

Quick Reply: Mount Subs to Floor?