Sponsored by:

Racing Schools, Which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
Made the decision to finally perform the driver upgrade and attend a 3d school.

I'd love to hear peoples experiences with Skip Barber, Jim russel, Bob Bonderant racing schools.

Lots of dough so I want to make an informed decision.
Done a few of the skippy schools and bonderant. Depends on your level. I would strongly recommend advanced car control. The basic three day schools are just that, very basic. The advanced racing school is okay. Lapping witgh lead folow and data logging are good in the RTs. Just remember, there will be many neophytes in the basic school and you will spend a lot of class room time learing things you may already know. Slow drivers will be in your way and track time is very limited or constrained. The Formula Dodges are also not blazing performers. The RTs are better. I did the Barber schools to start racing the RTs in the racing series before I decided to purchase a Formula Mazda and a Stohr.

If you have done 3 or more DEs, do the driver control and lapping schools. If you have never been on the track, do Barber at your favorite track listed.

If you have at least 10 track days, I would consider investing in a private coach. This will focus on your specific needs opposed to paying to hear many things which you may already know. I think 5 hours with a private coach will help more than 3 days of racing school in a class of 10 to 15 other students with very little one on one time.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:29 PM
mji911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I the 3 day Skip Barber at Sebring, It was very informative with enough seat time with excellent feedback. Then I attended 2 day advanced at the Glen, I thought it was a waste of time and money. Then I contacted David Murry for 1 on 1 instruction, spent over 6 hrs in the car with great instruction and feedback. The cost wasn't much more than Skip Barber but the time was invaluable.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to what Doug H said...

I've done the 3-day Skippy course, and it was a great beginning...I had no DE experience at all and it taught me plenty...most of all I had a lot of fun; and it was a very good intro.

Followed up with some lapping days and a car control clinic...

But, after a single day with a private coach kicked me in the a$$ and showed me where I was slumping, I never knew what a real coach/instructor was. This guy was also my mechanic and he was the toughest teacher I have had to date...he showed me stuff that was like math and dancing bunched together at the same time.

Take it all in stride and do it in logical order...and make sure you're having fun.

Jason
Old 02-17-2007, 07:49 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised that no one here has mentioned the Barber track - or the Porsche driving experience - where you get Hurley showing you how to heel/toe...
Old 02-17-2007, 11:47 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Heron2001
I am surprised that no one here has mentioned the Barber track - or the Porsche driving experience - where you get Hurley showing you how to heel/toe...
From what I have heard, these tend to be geared to more novice track drivers. Someone with lots of experience is not going to learn much.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I would like to get into kart racing in the Chicago land area. Any recommendations? I do have an air-cooled Porsche that I plan on DE'ng this year, but I'd also want to start looking into kart racing.

Quick Reply: Racing Schools, Which is best?