Kuhmo VictoRacer V700 versus the new Ecsta V700

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 04:48 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Kuhmo VictoRacer V700 versus the new Ecsta V700

Hey guys,

What's the consensus of the Kuhmo VictoRacer V700 versus the new Ecsta V700. I have heard the VictoRacer are a great bang for the buck track tire, but I haven't really heard much of anything about the new Ecsta's. This is for a buddies mildly track prepared A4. He is looking for a the best bang for the buck track tire for about 4 DE's a year.

Thanks,

Skip
'87 951 (with good old BFG Comp TA R1's)
Old 08-23-2002, 02:27 AM
belz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

RE: ECSTA V700. I like 'em. Especially for the $$!
I rank them in-between a hoosier and the Victoracer. Not as stickey as a hoosier but longer lasting and less money (especially in 285/30/18s).
I think they're better that the Victoracer. Stickier, maybe a little quicker wear but worth the small trade off.
My Ranking-
Performance:
#1 hoosier ($$$$)
#2 Ecsta V700 ($$) <My pick for Performance per $>
#3 Victoracer ($$)
#4 AO32R ($$$)
I have not tried the Michellin ($$$$$) ... and probably won't ... way too spendy. I want to try the Goodyear GSCR ($$$) someday ... I've heard good things about them from trusted sources.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:16 AM
Tom 77
Addict
Rennlist Member

A reply was really needed here.
I have been using the new Ecsta V700 since April.
Let's Seee, The second day at NHIS the right front delaminated big time. Replaced that tire, I got a screw stuck in the right rear this weekend in Watkins Glenn, Slow leak almost ran me off at turn 1. Took the tire down the mountain and had it fixed, the tire guys says the tire is corded and not safe. Sure enough all the rubber came off one side. Ran rest of event on streets. My buddy in his 996TT is on second set in as many events, seems they go out of balance as soons as he gets them warmed up. Michelin is looking much better now, since I spent enough so far to buy them anyway and still have Khumo's.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:50 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I never ran the victoracers so I can not compare. I just corded my Ecsta V700's and can say a few things... I had run Hoosiers prior for autocross and the Kuhmos seemed to stick as well and be more forgiving. The Kuhmos have definitely 'gone away' as they got older. Maybe too many heat cycles? I also agree that they tend to lose some balance at speed. They did wear relatively evenly, similiar to the hoosiers. I have heard amazing things about the Michilen's so I ordered a set for my new car and I will advise once I get some actual experience on them.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:29 PM
Tom 77
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Ed, Silver Star called, Your car is in. Good Grief, what option did you NOT order???
Old 09-13-2002, 12:03 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I spoke to Khumo's tech about the differences. The new ECTSA V700 are considerably lighter and unidirectional. However, with that said the tech recommended the Victoracer for my car (964/993). He claimed that given that these cars tend to push the better performing & longer lasting tire will be the victoracer with potentially a litte more durability for these cars. So I got a very mixed answer.

I bought the victoracer.

One other sidenote is that the early ECSTA V700 tires produces used victoracer compound. So those were neither here nor there.

For what it's worth.

Cheers,

Boris
Old 09-13-2002, 01:29 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The most recent Grassroots Motorsports reports their tests involving both of the Kumhos (along with the Hoosier autox tire) in an autox venue. Unfortunately, the Cups weren't included in the comparison tests. As I recall, they found very little difference between the two Kumhos. The Hoosier was quickest, of course, but I was somewhat surprized that the Kumhos came so close to the Hoosier's times.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:33 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Grassroots motorsports just did a tire test. I an autocross type setting they tested
Hoosier AS303 (their AX tire)
Ecsta V700
Victoracer
Toyo RA-1

From their tests the Hoosier, Ecsta & Victoracer were all about the same. The toyo was a bit slower.

I was surprised how similar the Ecsat V700 & Victoracer were. I would have expected more difference. There was some difference in handling charateristics.

Seems to me both tires are pretty close. On real track setting this may be a bit different.

I have gone through about 3 sets of Victoracers with DE & AX events. I like them and have found what pressures to use on them. They are cheap in the size I run 225/50 R15 at about $120 each. The ecsta v700 are about the same. I plan on staying with these until I get beat by Ecsta V700's. Hoosiers and Pilot Sport Cups are about $60 to $100 more.

Plus I also like the non-directional tread since I can easily rotate the tires (all 4 are same size) this helps even-up the tire wear and makes them last just a bit longer.

Quick Reply: Kuhmo VictoRacer V700 versus the new Ecsta V700