Sponsored by:

Trailer questions for pulling 911

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 11:40 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 286 Posts
Post Trailer questions for pulling 911

I am looking to buy an open trailer and was wondering what size trailer are most people using - 16 ft? 18 ft? 20 ft? I want something in a popular size (thinking of resale at some point).

How are people securing the vehicle on the trailer? It looks like there are two tow hooks under the front of the vehicle - are these strong enough to use for the mounting straps? On the rear, I don't see anything, are most people using axle straps here?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Jakermc,
Buy the trailer best suited for your needs, damm the resale (good trailers sell fast) Do you need to carry tires?? How many?, fuel jugs? Pit scooter? Tool chest? I have a 22ft open and load that sucker up with 2 sets of tires, 4 fuel jugs ect. My buddy has a 16ft Trailex and no room for tires or anything else (yet). My advice is buy a Alum. tralier(more $$) Fantastic resale value and they last forever (mine was bulit in 1988) Do a archives search on Trailers and another search on trailer tie downs both here and on the 993 board. Much info!
Old 07-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autometrics sells hooks that you can add to the suspension mounts. I prefer this to wheel straps. I had issues with wheel straps pulling the car out of alignment, especially when you cross them.

Karl
Old 07-11-2003, 01:44 PM
78Targa
Intermediate

Jakermc, don't worry about the resale as Eric has said. There are virtually no used trailers out there as they sell so quickly for near new prices. I just bought a trailer about 2 months ago. I went with a 16ft. wood floor, as it was cheaper, but not much more than an 18, and I didn't see the use in something huge. I still have room for fuel in the front, although it is tight. I put my tires in the bed of my truck, although I have considered having something welded onto the front of the trailer to stack them vertically, as I have seen some trailer with this done on the toungue. I bought mine from National Trailer Sales in Irving. They had the best prices around from when I researched it. Their new ones that are top of the line feature wise, dove-tailed, etc were about the same as the used ones. Speaking of dove-tailed, you are most likely going to want that as it makes getting the car on easier. I still have to use 8ft ramps in addition to the 5ft ones that came with it to get the car on, as my car is really low with a big overhanging front spoiler. Luckily at both MSR and TWS there are places where the grass drops away from the road so you can more easily get the car off. The road near the "braking exercise" works well for this, as the grass on either side drops down a good 8 inches or so. My stock ramps are all that are needed there, and at MSR if you pick the right unloading place. I still need them to get the car on at my house though.

There should be some tie-down places on the rear if you look closely. Mine has them ('78 SC). The best thing is what I have done. Since you are in Plano this is an option for you. Not sure if you know of Mayo Performace in Euless, but they have fabricated some super sweet tow tabs. For the rear they actually fit on the inside (towards wheel) the shock, the shock bolt passes through them. They then weld the same tab to your front A-arm. I had them do this to my 911 and it is the way to go. First, the thing you will learn about trailering is the easier you can make it the better, and the more fun it is to trailer the car. Otherwise you can get where you would almost rather just drive the car there rather than hassle with getting the damn thing on and off. Everything you can do to simplify the process is worth its weight in gold. These tabs work great, as you can have the car secured in no time. Plus the attachment points are all to unsprung points on the car. This saves wear and tear on the straps and secures the car better. The unsprung mass of the car stays locked down solid, but the chassis can still move freely to absorb bumps and changes naturally, which lets the car ride nicely. If you don't already know of Mayo's, their number is 817-540-4939, tell them Alex Cobb sent you. If you visit NTS ask for Chuck, he was my salesman, and a good guy. They also have a pretty good website, which gives you the best prices. It is: <a href="http://www.nts1.com" target="_blank">www.nts1.com</a>

Let me know if you have any other questions as I just went through all of this as a trailering newbie 2 months ago. My email is alex.cobb AT motorola.com. (Trying to avoid the spam bots). What is your car, I may have seen you at some of the DE's? I have a silver race-prepped (courtesy of the previous owner, as I'm am still trying to learn how to drive it) 911SC targa. Good luck with your search.

Alex Cobb
Old 07-11-2003, 04:14 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 286 Posts
Alex -

Thanks for all the advice. I know both you and your car - we were lined up next to each other a couple of times at the last DE I went to (Hill Country at MSR). I was driving a silver Boxster S at the time. I also have a '83 911 SCarrera (3.2L Euro engine) that I am converting to a full time track car. The idea is to only use the Boxster S from time to time on the track while I beat the hell out of the 911. Next weekend will be my first trip to the track with the 911 - I am going to join MSR as a member. Woo hoo!

I've talked to Chuck already at NTS and they do have a good deal. Also looking at tilt beds from here: <a href="http://www.kwikload.com/products/index.htm" target="_blank">http://www.kwikload.com/products/index.htm</a>
I'm hoping to get something done before the end of the month as I am driving at TWS July 26/27.

Still trying to decide between 16' and 18' ....
Old 07-11-2003, 05:16 PM
78Targa
Intermediate

Good deal. I remember you and your Boxter. Your 3.2 SC sounds like it will make a fantastic track car. I love mine, and it would be even sweeter with a 3.2 in it. Congratulations on joining MSR. You will love driving the 911 on the track. It is a great experience.

I will be at the TWS event as well. You will really enjoy trailering. It makes for a much more relaxing weekend, especially the drive down. I enjoy the A/C, quiet cabin, and confortable seats of my truck quite a bit. What will you be using as the tow vehicle?

Those tilt beds are very nice. Don't think you could go wrong with one of those. If you go with one of those, since they have the wind screen I would think the 18 would be better, since the screen will cut down on your usable space. If you would like to put more on the trailer than in the tow vehicle, then consider the 18. I don't mind as I can fit a lot in the back of my truck, and have a locking fiberglass bed cover so I don't have to worry about theft or the weather. However, with an SUV or something where you might not want dirty tires, fuel cans etc, the 18 would be nice. On my 16ft, the 911 is properly positioned (the jack point, which is the balance point) at approx. a couple inches forward of the center of the two axles. At this point there is not much more than 3 feet remaining on the trailer. There is good space at the rear though. The 18' would definitely give you more room for future expansion.

One other thing to consider is the ramp situation. Make sure to think about how you will get her on the trailer before the first track event comes up. The tilt trailer will probably clear without too much trouble, but most stock 5ft. ramps even with a dovetail will not make it for your car.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends if you are going open or closed. Buy a big enclosed trailer to lug you're other junk. Buy a small cheap open. I got a 16' open brand new with straps and tax and regie for $1800 here in NY. I went with the split deck (open in center) to allow me to use it as a lift. Works well.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:16 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jakermc,
Alex is on the money about making it easy! Much more enjoyable that way. One word of warning on the rollbacks. I was told (unconfirmed) when I was looking at them to make sure my truck would roll the bed of the trailer back up level when it was loaded with my car. It takes some grunt & I was told 4 wheel drive is almost a must. I would make them let you test your car & truck on one before you buy. It would be a drag to have that cool rollback & not have the power to make it work

I use an 18', steel deck open & carry everything in the back of the truck. The truck has a fiberglass locking tonneau to hide the goodies from prying eyes. Longer ramps are a must. I use 6' 2x12s in addition to the stock ramps. I like the 6' so I can get them in the bed of the truck. I also jack the tongue up on 2 pieces of 2x12 while still attached to the truck to get a lower angle in the back. My supercup is low but it still clears no problem on flat pavement.

The best investment I made was a wireless winch. My car's clutch is like a light switch (on or off) & it was a real bear getting it on the trailer. Warn Winch makes a 2500Lb ATV wireless remote winch that you can pick up new on ebay for about $ 350.00 or so & it's worth every penny. I had it wired with a battery box on the trailer that charges as I tow. I can stand right next to the car & guide it on & off the trailer with the winch's wireless remote. Beats wear & tear on my nerves & my clutch. Drop me an email if you have any questions @ royalbcat@netscape.net
Hope to see you out at "the ranch" sometime.

Quick Reply: Trailer questions for pulling 911