Sponsored by:

Driving Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 09:44 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Post Driving Shoes

I have been having trouble properly modulating the gas pedal on the track with my running shoes. They are just to thick to be able to feel the gas pedal. What driving shoes do you guys recomend? The boot type? I was looking at the Piloti shoes that look like sneakers but I was not sure if they would be any better than what I have. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:55 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a set of G-Force shoes. Their soles are thin, so they wear quickly, but I only put them on when actually going on for a session (autox or DE).

They are less expensive than the 'name brand' shoes, but function just the same. You can get them at <a href="http://www.racerwholesale.com." target="_blank">www.racerwholesale.com.</a>

Regards,
-Zoltan.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:09 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
My favorite track driving shoes are a pair of Nike running track shoes. Very light, thin sole with the feel of slippers. Not legal for racing but more feel than my Nomex racing shoes.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:12 PM
eugene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to wear Simpson and Stand 21. They are good
driving shoes however, not really suited for being in them for the entire day. Walking around etc.
I have switched to Piloti DTM driving shoes. Provide good feel for driving but also comfortable
to wear all day at the track. $100/pair
Old 10-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I ordered some racing shoes some time ago, I don't remember what brand, but didn't like the feel or the composition of the sole so I sent them back. In the meantime, I happened across some wrestling shoes at a shoe outlet that was going out of business and they have been perfect for driving. Been using them for four or five years now and they're still in very good shape. Very flexible, comfortable, with thin soles - great for feel and for heel/toe. Not Nomex, of course, so not legal for racing.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:02 PM
nate
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drive in a pair of Steve Madden "shooter". They have a thin, wide sole which makes side-stepping very easy and they are comfortable enough to wear all day. They are about $70. However, they are not approved for PCA Club Racing since they are leather not nomex.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:23 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I wear Ascis (sp?) wrestling shoes. They look just like "racing" shoes but only cost about $35. Very comfortable too.

Caveat: real racing shoes are nomex (or equivalent fire protectant material) lined. Running,wrestling, etc., shoes do not offer any heat or fire protection (except maybe against "mat" or rug burns).

richard
'87 Carrera-3.6L
Old 10-22-2002, 02:45 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have a pair of Simpson boots that are excellent for track driving, however they are not comfortable to wear all day long due to lack of support and a thin sole. I also have a pair of the Piloti driving sneakers that are good to wear all day long but not as good as the Simpsons for pedal feel. I find the Piloti's to be a good compromise between my full race Simpson and full workout Nikes.

I have heard good things about the Sparco/Puma boots, I want to try those next time.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:05 PM
Craig in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've been wearing the same low cut Simpson's at 6-8 DE's per year for four years now. As an instructor, I don't have time to run back and change shoes after my runs, so I wear them all day. They are comfortable enough to do that.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:54 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a pair of Piloti DTMs that I find very comfortable for all day wear. Plus they are a little wider then the pure racing shoes or wrestling shoes which I find helps make heel-toe work a little easier. They certainly have more feel then sneakers.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:56 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
I will second to what Craig said. The Simpsons are very comfortable all day. I also bought a pair of Sparco's from Porsche and they are wonderfull. IMO a pro racing shoes fit your feet like gloves and it makes a great difference while driving. if you are not an instructor running like a headless chicken from group to group then you have plenty of time to switch between the driving shoes and comfy sneakers when not running.
It just takes less than a minute to do so...
Old 10-22-2002, 05:35 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

Pedal feel, shmedal feel, just keep it on the floor.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:48 AM
Stem
Instructor

All this is fine for guys with regular size feet. I've got super-giant-extra large size 13. I haven't seen, in any catalog, my size. Has any one else??
Old 10-23-2002, 09:38 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by Stem:
<strong>All this is fine for guys with regular size feet. I've got super-giant-extra large size 13. I haven't seen, in any catalog, my size. Has any one else??</strong><hr></blockquote>

No issues finding these shoes in my size 13. I ordered mine direct from Simpson and Piloti.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:08 PM
Tim Comeau
Racer

In my experience, you're not gonna get the best of both world's in the same shoe. Full race nomex that is. I burned out a pair of Simpson's that were great. Good pedal feel. Not comfortable to wear all day because they were flat. They've got to be thin for feel, which means no arch support. The Sparco's and the Momo's are good looking, great shoes on a little higher quality level with the Sparcos being the cheaper of the two. I won a pair of No Fear high tops in a karting contest. Don't know the model but they retailed for $170.00! I found the feel to be ok, but the toe area was too narrow, which made rolling my foot over for down shifting more difficult. Stand 21 makes the best gear I've seen,period, but the price... My next new pair of driving shoes is going to be the Sparco high tops. But, I'll change into my Reeboks as soon as I pit. Cheers! TC

Quick Reply: Driving Shoes