Sponsored by:

Brake seating procedure question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 02:31 AM
Arthur
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Brake seating procedure question

I plan on having my pads changed by my mechanic, and need to drive home (about 50 miles). Since I can't run to 100 and do the proper seating without getting a ticket, I'll have to use my local municipal airport's runway. As far as the seating procedure is concerned, is this supposed to be performed at the time the car is FIRST driven after the brakes are in, or can it wait a few miles? If I can't seat them driving out of my mechanic's garage, then I'll have to trailer my car to and from, which is a pain. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:17 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

The main thing about bedding the pads to the rotors is to get plenty of heat into the pads and then let them sit over night. If you have to drive the car home, it shouldn't be a problem but I would suggest that you bed the pads before completing the trip and parking the car.

If you don't want to do 100 mph -> 60 mph runs then do some 80 mph -> 40 mph runs. I usually will find a section of Interstate that isn't too busy (sometimes this means waiting until later at night) and then cruise between two exits, making one pass at the speed limit to make sure there is no radar set up and then turning around at the next exit and making my return pass to bed the brakes.

After doing the appropriate braking runs, I then get the car home as soon as possible and let it sit over night.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:39 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Arthur:

Just an addendum to Karl's post but be sure to cool the brakes completely between each stop, otherwise you will glaze them.

This is common problem and these procedures simply require some patience,.... Karl's point about some 80 MPH to 40 MPH stops will help, just drive a few miles to cool them, each time.
Old 08-06-2002, 01:26 PM
Tom T.
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems:
<strong>Arthur:

Just an addendum to Karl's post but be sure to cool the brakes completely between each stop, otherwise you will glaze them.

This is common problem and these procedures simply require some patience,.... Karl's point about some 80 MPH to 40 MPH stops will help, just drive a few miles to cool them, each time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Steve,

I break-in my track pads like you described. Got a question - how do I tell if my rotors or pads are glazed?
TIA,
Tom
Old 08-06-2002, 08:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Tom T.:
<strong>

Steve,

I break-in my track pads like you described. Got a question - how do I tell if my rotors or pads are glazed?
TIA,
Tom</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Tom:

Pretty easy,......the car will not stop very well, even with excessive pedal pressure.

When this happens, one can use a belt sander and restore the pads' surfaces, depending upon the pad comnpound.

When a brake pads is bedded or cured, one can see this very easy by observing a thin (1/8") layer of material around the edge of the pad that has the paint "cooked". The pedal will take little pressure to stop, as well.

Quick Reply: Brake seating procedure question