Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy a helmet in Indianapolis (or nearby)

Old 08-06-2002, 10:36 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Where to buy a helmet in Indianapolis (or nearby)

I'm going to attend my first DE next week and have decided that I'd like to buy a helmet rather than borrow one (which I've done for the informal track events I've attended).

Any recommendations on where to purchase a helmet in the Indianapolis area? I've seen a few places on the Internet that sell them but this seems like something that you need to try on before purchasing.

Also, any specific recommendations on helmets?

Thanks much.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:19 AM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try:

<a href="http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/world/world.html" target="_blank">Simpson World @ Indy</a>

No affiliation, and I've never been there, just noticed it on their website - you might call first to check whether they carry helmets. Problem is this will only be Simpson helmets - nothing wrong with these, but your head may be a "Bell" shape or a "Biefe" shape - I'd check both of these manufacturers for a place in Indy area that stocks.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:32 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although I don't know of any helmet places in Indy, I would recommend the following:
1. Get a Snell SA-2000 rated helmet, vs. a Snell M-2000 helmet. M=motorcycle, SA=special application, ie car. While most clubs that run DE allow M-rated helmets, SA rated cranium protectors offer protection designed for in-car incidents. There's not a huge difference in these helmets (except for price: SA is more $$), but you might as well get the SA-rated one if you are going to take protection seriously.

2. Get a closed face helmet: at DE's you drive with the windows open, which allows for debrie to enter your car. Open face leaves your chin and lower face exposed to this. (Don't ask how I know!) Also: while your seat belt or harnesses should hold you in place, if they fail on a front end collision, you could smack your face on the steering wheel, dash...etc. A full face helmet will give you more protection in this case as well. If you are running in a cabrio, a closed face helmet is especially a good idea.

If it's not too late, check out <a href="http://www.racerwholesale.com." target="_blank">www.racerwholesale.com.</a> They offer a wide range of helmets for a reasonable cost. They may be able to express ship it for this weekend.

Good luck! Enjoy the event! Which track are you going to?
-Zoltan.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:38 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Rick,
If you don't find a helmet you can just use my spare one and Todd may have some loaners.
Greg
Old 08-06-2002, 12:27 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick,

Go to this page:

<a href="http://cir.pca.org/" target="_blank">Central Indiana Region PCA</a>

and click on Who's who on the left. Then start calling the officers, starting with the racing guy. One of them will know where to get a good Bell helmet locally. Make sure you try on a lot of different ones to make sure of the fit.

I know with all the race teams there, there will be a bunch of racer shops and supply houses.

Good luck,

E. J.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:34 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Try: <a href="http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/" target="_blank">http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/</a>

They're located in Indy. I know they have parts, but they may carry helmets also, as they are a sister store to Racer Wholesale.

Jim
Old 08-06-2002, 09:49 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts
Maybe there's something I don't get here, but why not just buy online? Had mine delivered 3 days after ordering.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:19 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Palting,
I'm not opposed to it; I just thought it would make some sense to try several on before I bought one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to buy a helmet in Indianapolis (or nearby)