Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier tire size question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:59 PM
deoxford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry: So I have to have solid bushing? if so which ones, and what sorce?

I did talk to Bob, he said that each car is different they should work but well each car is different.

If I have to order springs today for the 23rd of Feb would H&R Reds be good? Can I keep the stock shocks?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Derek, suspension design is really more of a system approach, and not just an "I need this, I need that". I raced a 911 Carrera for may years with stock bushings and 7" & 8" wheels with 225s & 245s. It worked great. Problem was that I wanted to run wider wheels and lower profile tires. I already had the stiffer suspension so I was not concerned with body roll & losing camber. But to do so, I needed to "locate them" better inside the fenders, and had to go to solid bushings. A side benefit was better control of the suspension members for improved geometry under load.

If you are going to run 225s/245s on 7s & 8s, they will probably fit fine, as long as your wheel offset is correct. If you go to 8s & 9s, you should still be ok, but you may need stiffer springs and shocks because they may rub if the car "compresses" too much.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:10 PM
deoxford
Pro

Larry,
Thanks for the help, I am learning about these cars as I go.
On my 1972 I sold I have done all this already, and well now it time to start over.

Long term, I plan to change both the springs and shocks out, and sways and bushings, along with brakes and mounts.
But for right now, I have a event that I what to get used to the car with , and well I already bought the 225/ 275s . That is why I what to make sure I can run them that weekend with out much rubbing.

I was looking at spring, but no spring really gives the rates like T bars do.

SO I was think of putting the H&R reds on the make sure she is really tight for the weekend.
OR can I use the Sports?

And then put the Bilsten HDs . in another month or so.

So I am really just making sure that I can run these 225/275 that weekend coming up soon.

Thanks for any insight you can provide
Old 02-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Spring rates are measured in inch/lbs. So a 600 lb spring will compress 1" if you put 600 lbs directly on it. That is pretty much what happens in a McPherson strut car. Torsion bars cars, though easy to say I have a 22mm, 24mm, 30mm etc bar, there is no direct correlation to rate because the rate of both front and rear T-bars are affected by the moment arm (the length of the arm to the ball joint or rear hub). I know that the info is out there to compare their effective rate to coil springs.

BTW springs really are easier, except that H&R and other companies like to make these "packages" to sell as upgrades. A red colored spring is meaningless. What is the rate?
Old 02-06-2007, 05:23 PM
underpsi
Instructor

Larry, what spring rates would you recommend for a stock C class 965; this car is also a street car and planning on getting the JIC Cross system.

I plan to run 245s on 9" and 315s on 10.5"; any suggestions?

Thx.

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Spring rates are measured in inch/lbs. So a 600 lb spring will compress 1" if you put 600 lbs directly on it. That is pretty much what happens in a McPherson strut car. Torsion bars cars, though easy to say I have a 22mm, 24mm, 30mm etc bar, there is no direct correlation to rate because the rate of both front and rear T-bars are affected by the moment arm (the length of the arm to the ball joint or rear hub). I know that the info is out there to compare their effective rate to coil springs.

BTW springs really are easier, except that H&R and other companies like to make these "packages" to sell as upgrades. A red colored spring is meaningless. What is the rate?
Old 02-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by underpsi
Larry, what spring rates would you recommend for a stock C class 965; this car is also a street car and planning on getting the JIC Cross system.

I plan to run 245s on 9" and 315s on 10.5"; any suggestions?

Thx.
Well it looks like you will be in my class, so I suggest stock springs.

Actually Colin (38D) ran 700/900 on his '91 965. I don't think that you want to be any stiffer than that for occasional street use. I assume that you are running a 3.3 in prepared, because it was my understanding that you cannot get anything wider than 295s under the stock rear fenders.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:06 PM
underpsi
Instructor

actually i'm running in a 3.6T and currently using h&r coilovers with only 275 front and 325 LB rear springs. I'm thinking about using the 048s 315s as they fit slightly narrower so i think they may work.

I don't have any experience with the Hoosiers however i have used the MPSC, Corsas, and 048s; do they make a hugh difference? or a 2 sec diff??

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Well it looks like you will be in my class, so I suggest stock springs.

Actually Colin (38D) ran 700/900 on his '91 965. I don't think that you want to be any stiffer than that for occasional street use. I assume that you are running a 3.3 in prepared, because it was my understanding that you cannot get anything wider than 295s under the stock rear fenders.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hoosiers are usually the fastest R tire on most cars, but the MPSCs do work very well on heavy cars like your turbo.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:45 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Note that if you are running a heavy car like an E class C2 or a Turbo, the 285/30/18 tires may not have enough load capacity and can blow out. Maybe they fixed the problem but back when I was running E against a fast C2, he would blow out a rear tire nearly every day until he got a size with more air (more capacity).
Old 02-06-2007, 07:28 PM
deoxford
Pro

Larry,
So far I have not been able to find the spring rate, that was my point. Even the H&R site does not give the rates.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:59 PM
deoxford
Pro

Ok Guys, I mounted the tires and they seem to fit all around with no rubbing, BUT There only seems to be about 1/4 inch clearance from the oil tube, is that enough?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by analogmike
Note that if you are running a heavy car like an E class C2 or a Turbo, the 285/30/18 tires may not have enough load capacity and can blow out.
That problem has been fixed with the new R6, and I ran them at Daytona with no problems whatsoever. My car weighs 2760 lbs. I would recommend the 295/30/18 for anything heavier though.

Originally Posted by deoxford
Ok Guys, I mounted the tires and they seem to fit all around with no rubbing, BUT There only seems to be about 1/4 inch clearance from the oil tube, is that enough?
Depends on how much your rear suspension flexes. If you have monoballs, I would say yes. The best thing to do is to take it slow and work your way up; check for rubbing. BTW Wheel Enhancement makes 4mm spacers if you have any room to move outwards.

Quick Reply: Hoosier tire size question