E Class - 951 Rear Spoiler Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default E Class - 951 Rear Spoiler Question

I have a GT Racing front splitter on my E class 944 Turbo but based on some input from a good drover who droved my car, I've come to believe that I should do something to the rear of the car to balance the forces out. I may just remove the splitter but wanted to check on my options.

I'm not going to use the GT Racing LeMans wing (long story).

I'd rather take a cheap route. I've seen a number of cars that have a piece of plexiglass attached to back part of the rear factory spoiler (attached with some small aluminum brackets) - the piece is 2-3" wide and runs most of the width of the rear spoiler.

Is this legal? What are the limits on the width of the piece of plexiglass that I might attach?

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 02-03-2007, 08:41 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Rick,

From what I understand you can't exceed width at all but can extend length by 1" and spoiler height by 6". There was an E car at Road America last year (I think it was Cory Jump) that had an adjustable rear wing. I was surprised it was legal, but it was a pretty slick looking set up. He was with one of the bigger teams but can't remember which one.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Jeff,

Boy...you sure know how to spend a Saturday night!!

Your post has me thinking. Based on how I read the rules, I could put on a piece of plastic/plexiglass/aluminum as long as it doesn't extend rearward more than 1" more than the bumper.

Since, the bumper is about 2" further back then the spoiler, I could have something that is up to 3" deeper than the factory spoiler.

Right?

If so...now I need to try to figure out the right width & angle. Unfortunately, my local wind tunnel is closed for the night...may have to break out a good bottle of wine and give it some thought.

Thanks,

Rick

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
Hey Rick,

From what I understand you can't exceed width at all but can extend length by 1" and spoiler height by 6". There was an E car at Road America last year (I think it was Cory Jump) that had an adjustable rear wing. I was surprised it was legal, but it was a pretty slick looking set up. He was with one of the bigger teams but can't remember which one.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:58 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Ha Ha, actually I was just on my way out prospecting for new Grid Girls at the NASA awards dinner. Remember that in Chicago the night begins around 11:00.

I think you are correct in your assumptions. The total body length can't be more than 1" so if your front spoiler extends past the bumper, you would have to take that into account on the rear but you are right it that there are a few inches to play with.

Things are always clearer with a bottle of wine so I'm confident you'll come up with something.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:49 AM
Cory Jump
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing

Jeff, I know you mentioned my rear wing. It should be noted that this on a 964 and not a 944/951. It is common for stock class cars to run a 3.8 adjustable wing without the upper element. When asked I was told that it was ok as long as it was a single element and not having the adjustable upper element. My wing does not have two seperate planes it has the upper element attatched to the body of the wing making it a single element wing.(zero air gap). I had a alot of fun at Road America last year. Unfortunately plagued by new car gremlins stinted my results. i had the slave cylinder go out on the grid before the sprints but still managed a second place without having a clutch for the whole race. I have the car dialed in now and plan on having a really fun year. I hope to see some of you at Sebring this comming weekend.

31 E cars in case anyone is counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

964 E car stock and heavy
Old 02-04-2007, 11:21 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Sorry Cory. Definitely the wrong car. The one I was looking at was a red 944 Turbo. It was a 3 digit number and the driver did well in the sprint or enduro. Can't seem to remember who it was now but the car had the origninal batwing then an adjustable double foil wing above that. Looking at the rules, the wing is legal, I had just never seen one like it on a 44.

Best of luck at Sebring. I'll be there co-driving in F with Mike Faems. We'll be at the Eurosport trailer if you have a chance to swing by.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Cory Jump
Advanced

Default Sebring

I look forward to seeing you there! We will be in the same rungroup in the Enduro. My car is white orange and Blue 964 #1 for the weekend typically #713
I will try to drop by the trailer.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why NOT the LeMans spoiler?

Old 02-04-2007, 01:36 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Okay Cory, The car I was thinking about was Tory, Tory Herring. If anyone knows him or the shop that supports him, it would be great to see a shot of the spoiler.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I was a bit afraid someone would ask that. I have one in my garage and spent nearly 5 hours yesterday trying to get it on. I had my body guy come by and take a look for an hour last night and he agreed that there was no way to get it to fit. I fully expect that after market pieces take some work to fit properly but this is beyond reasonable.
  • Six of the glassed-in nuts in the wing are more than 1/4" from the coordinating hole in the hatch. Several of them would have to have new holes drilled in the hatch frame very close to or through the glass itself.
  • The shape is also very off - was we tried to trial fit the wing, there is a sizable gap on the front edge of the wing where it meets the hatch. It would take significant force with screws to pull it in and that would either risk breaking the hatch or tearing the glass-in nut out of the wing itself.
  • The forward pieces (I guess you might call them arms) of the wing assembly are way out of shape - they're far too narrow at the front of the arms and when we pulled them out to get them to line up with the edge of the hatch the glass began to crack.

I'd be very interested to get to get your thoughts...it appears as though you had better luck than I've had thus far. It's possible I got a bad wing but I'm really disappointed at this point.

Thanks much,

Rick

Originally Posted by Ski
Why NOT the LeMans spoiler?

Last edited by Rick; 02-05-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:00 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Any your questioning MY Saturday night??????????????
Old 02-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Hey!! This is my thread...I ask the questions around here!!!

Any your questioning MY Saturday night??????????????
Old 02-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

It was a PITA from what I heard because I bought it already on the hatch. However, it does seem to work well. From the PO of the wrecked car it came from, they cut off the bolts, they did redrill all the holes, fit it, then filled in the holes, sanded/painted, then installed it.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
It was a PITA from what I heard because I bought it already on the hatch. However, it does seem to work well. From the PO of the wrecked car it came from, they cut off the bolts, they did redrill all the holes, fit it, then filled in the holes, sanded/painted, then installed it.
Sounds typical for aftermarket body parts/spoilers,etc.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:00 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Sorry Cory. Definitely the wrong car. The one I was looking at was a red 944 Turbo. It was a 3 digit number and the driver did well in the sprint or enduro. .
Might it have been 2 years ago (2005)?? I have about 2000 shots from that weekend last year (2006) and no unique winged 944. I think there was one of the aforementioned Lemans wing (??) and a couple of guys with 968 wings on 944 and 2 people who had an extended lip of lexan on top of a stock 944 wing.

Quick Reply: E Class - 951 Rear Spoiler Question