Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did Summit repave this winter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 11:43 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Each time I am at Summit (DEs), if I take T5 on the inside and hit the sharp bump, my toe gets thrown off and have to get an alignment. In other corners, my car stays without issue, but I guess I have to thank PASM for that.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Ah-ha! THAT'S why they call T5 a Toe-away corner!.. or was that throw-away...

In all seriousness, I love the Summit layout and don't mind the trek at all. I would go 3-4 times per year if they at least repaved the carousel area (T5-T6). Even LRP hasn't stooped to glueing pavement together with driveway sealer yet...
Old 02-07-2007, 05:19 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Ah-ha! THAT'S why they call T5 a Toe-away corner!.. or was that throw-away...

It is definetly the 'toe-away' corner for me, that term fits it perfectly
Old 04-08-2007, 11:03 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well they added a little asphault in front of the concrete patch in front of T5 and filled any of the pot holes next to the track w/ dirt or grave.

Still bumpy!
Old 04-08-2007, 11:37 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

hmmmmm... it's all relative.... never thought of T5 as bumpy on my softly sprung Elise.
However, the big bear trap on the right side before turning in for T3 is scary and doesn't allow you to take the widest arc you can....

But, LRP last week in my 997S felt bumpier than ever, Specially big bedn where the car no loger drifts nicely but skips sideways in 1/2 foot increments... and the downhill Turn apex (es... you no longer can pick ust one!) feels like going sailing in open waters!!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:03 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As of this past weekend...T1 still is impossible to maintain a consistent contact patch, T5 same issues and the black glue in T6... all the same. I only wished they added a thermostat so we could have had some warmth.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:26 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Summit is a dump period. The track needed to be repaved 8 years ago. The bathrooms are absolutely disgusting and if I were to flick the track inspection shed it would fall over. It has been mismanaged for years- it's a shame because it has a lot of potential, but I seldom go to Summit and it is very close to me. I would rather travel to VIR...
Old 04-09-2007, 09:40 AM
aubreym
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHVIZZ951
Sorry to Hijack, How about WGI? That repaved yet?

Summit isnt in the best shape, but by no means would I stay away. It is Plenty Raceable.
To add to Rich's hijack. Drive Sebring just one time. After that, all other tracks will be smooth!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:53 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Tech shed has been replaced and personaly i don't care a bit about bathrooms, I would pi$$ in the woods at the great track.
The track needs a full repaving and with the massive amount$ they are pulling in at BSR for all the track and other use there is no reason not to repave this winter, other than continued rental income and drivers be damned.

I come in a little wide drivers left on T5 and load up the outside wheels with turn in/trail brake as I drive onto the concrete.tyhis unloads the inside front wheel and there is no wheel slam at all and the outside wheels don't make it onto the the patch until the harsh spot is past. A liittle late for turn in but you can more than make this up as you can brake later and smoothly trail through the first 1/2 of the turn and make yp with better car placment at apex via slight rotation. This puts you mid to 1/3 drivers left at exit and pointed right at the turn in for T6. If you drive right to the corner you will bang the front end hard and while under trail braking as well. Bad mojo for front ends and too early placement or not enough rotaton on apex anyway.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

So how is the Home Depot driveway sealer holding up in the carousel?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:58 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

They put some 84 lumber house brand on top of it to make it better.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by kurt M
The track needs a full repaving and with the massive amount$ they are pulling in at BSR for all the track and other use there is no reason not to repave this winter, other than continued rental income and drivers be damned.
Exactly.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:20 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Don't get me wrong, I want Summit to be repaved as much as the next guy, but I have always viewed dealing with track "obstacles" like that as part of the challenge of being a good driver.

Bump compromise the ideal line? Learn to deal with it and drive around it.

A smooth track is sort of like cheating, you know, almost like driving a n/a 944 where you don't really have to be a subtle with the go pedal as you should be since it really has very little effect when you push it.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Sure, it's a challenge...but it also uses up tires and ruins suspensions. Our alignment is always out of whack after a visit to Summit. It's not just that the track is rough...it's in a state of complete disrepair in some places.

Why even bother paving? Dirt would be more challenging.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Sure, it's a challenge...but it also uses up tires and ruins suspensions. Our alignment is always out of whack after a visit to Summit. It's not just that the track is rough...it's in a state of complete disrepair in some places.

Why even bother paving? Dirt would be more challenging.
don't tempt me . . . rally and ice racing are the only two things that look like more fun to me than road racing.

I understand your point about suspensions. Summit has knocked the toe out in the suspension of my 944 before.

Quick Reply: Did Summit repave this winter?