Sponsored by:

Cool Shirt vs.Cool Vest looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 12:06 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Cool Shirt vs.Cool Vest looking for advice

I have an event 4 of July weekend and it is getting pretty hot here in the midwest. Any pros or cons of the 2 most popular driver cooling devices.
Cool Shirt: 2 options, 1 with the cooler full of ice bolted to floor and a shirt with cooling hose bulit in. (375.00)
or the Cool Shirt with a cooling gas that runs thru the same shirt (no cooler) (170.00) (+10.00 per can of cooling gas)

VS.

Cool Vest, cooling packs recharged in ice water slip into a vest worn under driving suit. (160.00)

Anyone using any of these 3 products?? Do they work well in enduro races?? any downside?

Any advice is appreciated!
Old 06-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eric:

A guy in POC has the Cool Shirt with the cooler and loves it. I have not tried it, but I want one.

One word of caution from him. Don't wait until you are hot to turn on the cooling. He nearly went into shock when he turned it on in high temp weather...
Old 06-26-2003, 01:46 AM
Ted Drake
Advanced

Cool Shirt #1, I would not race or wait in
pre-grid without it.
Check this thread for more info.
<a href="http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=3900aab7128d987ca7308986836e2dd0&threadid=114294&highli ght=cool+shirt" target="_blank">http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=3900aab7128d987ca7308986836e2dd0&threadid=114294&highli ght=cool+shirt</a>
Old 06-26-2003, 02:27 AM
GonzoP1
Advanced

Eric,

Alex's pro drivers (you know who I'm referring to) all use the coolshirt with great satisfaction. They have devised a special cooler of sorts with little racks which utilizes dry ice rather than frozen H2O however. I'm not a chemist, but I think the dry ice is much cooler than frozen H2O.

The drivers are also using Camelback's with holes for the bite tube drilled in the helmet to keep hydrated throughout their stints.

GonzoP1
Old 06-26-2003, 11:08 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys,
I just ordered the Cool Shirt, now I have one less excuse for slow lap times!!
Old 06-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Brandon Hull
Intermediate

I was thinking the coolvest was the ticket, but actually found that their technical section <a href="http://www.glaciertek.com/technical.htm" target="_blank">http://www.glaciertek.com/technical.htm</a> was more persuasive that the re-circ systems made a lot of sense in a racecar application: you don't have to move and you have easy access to power. I was worried that the coolvest looks too bulky which Kim verifies. On the other hand, it is pleasantly simple... I hope others will comment on their experience.
BrandonH
Old 06-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Eric,
Where did you order it through and how much $$. I have thought about doing the system that ducts cool air through your helmet as well as cold water through the t-shirt but it seems to be a lot more expensive.
Thanks
Old 06-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Greg,
I got it from <a href="http://www.coolshirt.net" target="_blank">www.coolshirt.net</a> I got the round cooler as I think I can strap it to the pass. seat and not have to worry about drilling holes in my floor. I will also try and mount it in the trunk if I can find a hole to pass the cooling tubes thru the firewall. Cost for the round cooler was $378.00. The systems with the helmet cooler is much more expensive. There is another company making a similar system with air blower for the helmet up I think it was 700.00 and 200.00 to have your helmet modified for the air duct.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:36 PM
Ninewrench
3rd Gear

I just bought the 12 qt "club system " at Putnam this past weekend. Rich Rosenberg who was racing that red 914 with 17 inch Boxster wheels and the 10 foot high wing sells the Cool Shirt. He gives you a good discount. The 12 qt club system sells for $407 Through <a href="http://www.coolshirt.net" target="_blank">www.coolshirt.net</a> and he sells it for $370.
Hey Eric, how did the video of us beating on each other for 20 laps look.

You can reach Rich at
RJR Racing
513-317-7911
Old 06-26-2003, 03:38 PM
RealRideRacing
Advanced

I've worn the cool vest before and it didn't seem to work for me. The problem I faced was that the ice packs only work for so long (about 45 minutes). You can spend up to 30 minutes suited up on pre-grid and by the time you get onto the track, get your warmup lap done, the ice packs have now become boiling packs underneath. The cool vest that I had was made by Deist, a well known drag racing manufacturer. I guess it would be fine for drag racing where the total time you're in your suit is no more than 30 minutes.

Also, I remember reading that 80% of your body heat escapes (or is trapped) in your head. If that's the case, I wonder if the forced air helmets are more effective. I figure that having chilled air circulating around your brain would be more effective than the body. Anybody care to explain?

Regards,
David
REALRIDE.COM RACING
<a href="http://www.RealRide.com" target="_blank">http://www.RealRide.com</a>
Old 06-26-2003, 03:43 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I've used a cool-shirt for the last 2 years and love mine. I originally bought just the shirt and built my own system. It wasn't that hard, just a cooler and a bilge pump and sourcing the quick disconnects. Total parts were about $60 plus the shirt. Last year my wife had a knee replacement surgery and they used a medical grade cool-suit unit with a cooler patch for her knee. She donated the unit to me when she healed up and it plugged right in.

You notice it in 2 places:

1. Sitting on the grid in your nomex you can definitely feel the cooling when normally you bake with no air flow in the car

2. while driving. Actually you don't feel or notice it while driving. What you DO notice is the lack of fatigue while driving. Drive an 90 minute enduro in 90 degree heat and come out feeling fresh.

Definitely worth the money.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Doug,
I tried to find Rich a couple of times at Putnam but always missed him. I left him a message.
The tape ran out while we were parading around under the yellow waiting for Jeff to be pulled from the swamp. I do have some shots of you in my rearview parabolic mirror trying every trick to get around me. I am bummed my first race is not on tape!!! How did your tape turn out??
Old 06-27-2003, 02:16 PM
Michael Marshall
Track Day

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Eric in Chicago:
<strong>Greg,
I got it from <a href="http://www.coolshirt.net" target="_blank">www.coolshirt.net</a> I got the round cooler as I think I can strap it to the pass. seat and not have to worry about drilling holes in my floor. I will also try and mount it in the trunk if I can find a hole to pass the cooling tubes thru the firewall. Cost for the round cooler was $378.00. The systems with the helmet cooler is much more expensive. There is another company making a similar system with air blower for the helmet up I think it was 700.00 and 200.00 to have your helmet modified for the air duct.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hi, I started the thread on Pelican. I bought the round cooler and strapped it into the passenger seat. It's easy to remove when dumping water, and the round cooler doesn't leak. Several guys I've talked to say that the square coolers all will leak at the rear hinge area after awhile, making a watery slippery mess on the floor.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Michael,
Thanks for the tip on the square cooler. I bought the square set up from Rich as I would rather support a racer. He did not have the round one in stock. I will watch the rear seal, thanks again.

Quick Reply: Cool Shirt vs.Cool Vest looking for advice