Racing Rules on Driver Action

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Stan.Shaw@Excell.Net
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Racing Rules on Driver Action

I am interested in sanctioned organizations rules as they relate to road racing and on track behaviour. I know of <a href="http://www.pca.org/pca/clubrace/docs/pca_rules_2002.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.pca.org/pca/clubrace/docs/pca_rules_2002.pdf</a> but am failing to find what "fault" is.

From many different sources, I hear of variations like "who has the line in the corner owns the corner" or "whoever's door handle is farther forward owns the corner" or "whoever's front end gets to the corner first owns the corner".

I realize that the rule will vary from sanctioning body to sanctioning body. Any links to specific rules would be greatly appreciated.

I am NOT questioning anyone's ethics or intent. I want to race, and I want to race by the rules.

If my understanding is incorrect, then where do I find the information to correct my understanding?

Thanks,
Stan
Old 05-10-2002, 03:40 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Stan,

Bad news. There are no rules. I read all that crap in going faster about the cars position at turn in... bull. When I sat in PCA rookie candidate school we got the real scoop. Ready.
COEXIST
Yep it is every drivers responsibility to avoid contact. The car in front is expected to stay on line to go faster but a overtaking car approaching a hard right hander will pass you on the inside as you turn in. You check your mirrors at turn in.
Sounds like a cluster f... but the system does work. The practice sessions are to determine each drivers ability or determination to defend his/her line or position.
Thats my take on it after one practice day and one race day.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:47 PM
Stan.Shaw@Excell.Net
Addict
Rennlist Member

I always thought co-existence was the key as well.

My revised understanding is that the car in front has the right to take the line away from the other car, when the trailing car has no place to go. If this results in contact, the trailing car will be give the 13.
Old 05-10-2002, 07:31 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think you are correct in the basic concept. But, if you knew that a car was on your right corner and you turned into them then the Steward would probably rule that you caused contact. It will be interesting to hear the response to this question from more experienced racers.

PCA requires that rookie candidates attend a meeting/school the night before practice. When the National PCA Steward addressed this issue at my school and I was surprised by his fuzzy co exist speach. I gave several examples of "what if..." and was told a)this is racing b)co exist c)have fun. Yea right.

No place to be timid, cautious or conservative. You drive flat out and dive into the apex's without a second thought. If you don't you will be clubbed like a baby seal. (sort of speak)

Report your car stolen before the event and cancel the police search if you don't crash.

The cars around you are not there for "FUN". They are there to place higher in the pack (than you) or win.

Don't mis understand me. This is a hoot and I loved my first race. I have already signed up for my next race.

See you at the track Stan. What class are driving?
Old 05-11-2002, 09:01 AM
Stan.Shaw@Excell.Net
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill,

The car that turned right was NOT awarded the 13, even though this gave me no track at all, and I was next to his right rear quarter.

The rule definitely is fuzzy, perhaps intentionally.

My car is GT2S class.

Thanks,
Stan
Old 05-11-2002, 09:22 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stan,

Raw deal. Bryan Henderson (PCA National Steward)was very specific about this at Lime Rock in a packed room. I ran that example by him. The car being overtaken should have known he/she had a overlapping car on the inside and allowed track room through the corner.Check your mirrors and co exist... a kinder gentler approach to racing.

The inside car may not be able to carry the speed being pinched inside and not complete the pass. The car that turned or drifted inside making contact would be at fault.

If this incident was at LRP you should e mail Bryan. BDHender@attbi.com hopefully you have video or corner workers to back you up.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:43 PM
Stan.Shaw@Excell.Net
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Bryan made the decision in this case. I don't have video.

Quick Reply: Racing Rules on Driver Action