Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Spec Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 03:49 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you do an ECU re-flash in PCA and stay in Stock F Class. I thought this would be preped item. Also, can you use monoball tops and some sort of GT3 controll arm to acheive the negative camber instead of using camber plates.

Originally Posted by cgomez
Ok... I see...
But looking at the rule book it seems that if you build a BSR and withold from: - severe weight trimming;
- the front camber solutions (either camber plates or GT3 Cup A arms);
- LWFW (or bump one class up)
then you can run the car in F class with the benefit of being able to use wider wheels and a ECU reflash (both not allowed in BSR so you will have to change it back to OEM which is easy) and be somewhat ballpark competitive. Anything I'm missing in this thesis?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:02 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I personally don't see why PCA would adopt any more spec classes in the near future, as it just seems to contribute to "class bloat". I'm not sure why we'd want another class with only 1-2 cars in it.
Think Colin makes a good point. Many PCAraces average only 2-3 cars per class.
Begins to dilute the competition.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:10 AM
PeanutinCA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think 4-5 Spec Boxsters have gone to Vegas this weekend with POC, will report back on how they do?

Dylan.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:56 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
Can you do an ECU re-flash in PCA and stay in Stock F Class. I thought this would be preped item. Also, can you use monoball tops and some sort of GT3 controll arm to acheive the negative camber instead of using camber plates.
Jim is correct -- flashing the ECU is not legal in stock classes. I would guess that GT3 control arms would also be illegal, but that is a guess.

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Think Colin makes a good point. Many PCAraces average only 2-3 cars per class.
Begins to dilute the competition.
If I had a 944 sec, I know I'd probably just do the NASA races. There are plenty of NASA races at which there will always be more spec cars. Now, this is a very east coast view. Things may well be different in other parts of the country.

I also like the idea of a Boxster Spec, but dont think it is necessarily a class that PCA needs to adopt. IMO, PCA already has decently sorted classes (well aside from D/C/B). Adding in other classes just tends to dillute everything. There will always be a new "spec" class to chase (isnt there also a spec 911 and a spec 964?). Nothing prevents a person from running a spec car in a PCA race, they just wont be competitive. I think people are going to have to decide which series they want to run in, and then stick to it. I personally don't see a big problem with that. If I went to a NASA GTS race, I wouldn't expect to do well as my car is not optimized for those rules. I don't understand why people expect that the reverse be true.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:10 PM
teamb2
Advanced

what class would a bsr run in scca currently?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:50 PM
PeanutinCA
Pro

Originally Posted by 38D
I also like the idea of a Boxster Spec, but dont think it is necessarily a class that PCA needs to adopt. IMO, PCA already has decently sorted classes (well aside from D/C/B). Adding in other classes just tends to dillute everything.
That's definitely a valid argument, but lets look at it this way. How many Boxsters are built and racing in those classes right now? Is it many? If not, why not? Is it because the rules are too generic? Perhaps people need a clear set of rules to build to, ala Boxster Spec? We have 5+ new cars being built right now in one shop. The class will have grown to almost 15 cars in the next couple months. Now, those cars would not exist and would not be getting built right now if not fo rthe Spec rules. They would not be built to the generic, catch all classes that exist. Count the number of 944's being run in PCA since the introduction of 944 Spec, how does that compare to the number of 944's before? In POC, when 944 was introduced, it went from SOMETIMES a couple 944's on the grid, to 11 944 Race race cars in the last Cup Race weekend and a couple more Time Trial only 944's. How many Boxster's ran in POC before the Spec class? Only 1 was being tested for the popular V3 class. This weekend there is 4-5 running in Vegas and and another 4-5 not yet complete to run. So, the Spec classes are actually adding business to the Race organiztions and putting more cars on the track that would not have otherwise been there. Maybe it dilutes a "catch-all" class by 1 or 2 cars, but it puts way more than that on the track. And it makes for close racing to boot!

Dylan.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:17 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Of the races I went to, here the number of 944 spec cars that raced (SP1, 2 & 3):
Sebring: 0
Lime Rock: 1
Watkins Glen: 1
Mosport: 1
Road America: 2
Daytona: 5

So Daytona had a few cars, but spread across 3 classes. Watkins Glen & Sebring already sell out, as did Daytona, so the races dont need any more cars (we're talking 4 groups with 60-70 cars in each). Lime Rock & Mosport dont sell out, so they could use a few more cars. I do execpt a few more SP cars in 2007, but I still think that most 944 spec guys will stick to NASA races where the class was born and more racers will be (I know I would).

Again, while I like the idea of the spec Boxster class, I see no reason PCA should adopt it. The Boxster could be a competitive F car as is. The Boxster S would also do well in E IMO. To date you haven't seen many of these cars as their prices have only recently come down. A person who builds a spec boxster could still run in NASA GTS and PCA GT4S if they wanted. They wouldn't win in either series, but would still have a venue to run.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:26 PM
PeanutinCA
Pro

Originally Posted by 38D
Again, while I like the idea of the spec Boxster class, I see no reason PCA should adopt it. The Boxster could be a competitive F car as is. The Boxster S would also do well in E IMO. To date you haven't seen many of these cars as their prices have only recently come down. A person who builds a spec boxster could still run in NASA GTS and PCA GT4S if they wanted. They wouldn't win in either series, but would still have a venue to run.
Based upon your last line, why would people build a Boxster to race with PCA then? (No offense intended) Where's the incentive? I guess fortunately then, at least on the West Coast, Boxster owners will have a place to run with other Organizations?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:38 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PeanutinCA
Based upon your last line, why would people build a Boxster to race with PCA then? (No offense intended) Where's the incentive? I guess fortunately then, at least on the West Coast, Boxster owners will have a place to run with other Organizations?
I dont think anyone would build a Spec Boxster to run with PCA. I think they would build a spec boxster to run in POC and then occasionally do a PCA race. The 944 spec guys can win in PCA with the SP classes, but does winning in a field of 2 cars really mean much?

Things are different on the east coast for PCA. The races out here are already pretty much full. Creating a bunch of new classes isn't needed. On the west coast, PCA is tiny compared to POC, so maybe out there it makes sense. In PCA there are already options for basically every car model someone would want to race. Yes, there are some imperfections in the classes, but those will continue to be fixed thru evolutionary changes. Boxsters already have a good place to race in PCA...F & E. For proof, look how well ErnieJ did in his Cayman in D, and its basicaly the same as a Boxster. I think people will see this and more and more boxsters/cayman will show up. I know of one guy who will be racing his Boxster S in E this year. I think more will follow, spec class or not.

Last edited by 38D; 02-03-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:32 AM
tchandler
Instructor

Originally Posted by teamb2
what class would a bsr run in scca currently?

SFR-SCCA would be ITE. (good luck there. Top reining car currently a 500+ hp Mitzu evo)
Old 02-03-2007, 03:01 AM
PeanutinCA
Pro

I'm not sure how to concentrate with the Avatars of you last 2 guys! Sorry, were we discussing something? That's interesting information regarding the popularity on the East Coast versus West. I can see what your saying.

Dylan.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:46 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Of the races I went to, here the number of 944 spec cars that raced (SP1, 2 & 3):
Sebring: 0
Lime Rock: 1
Watkins Glen: 1
Mosport: 1
Road America: 2
Daytona: 5

Colin...

We may start to see more SP1,2,3 in PCA this year. If people set cars for this class they can also race in 44cup. I considered building my F car as an SP3 but will wait one more year to see how the classes fill up. I am betting more F & E guys with 944's will go to the SP classes so they have more races and venues to choose from.

Don
Old 02-03-2007, 08:34 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 993944S2
We may start to see more SP1,2,3 in PCA this year. If people set cars for this class they can also race in 44cup. I considered building my F car as an SP3 but will wait one more year to see how the classes fill up. I am betting more F & E guys with 944's will go to the SP classes so they have more races and venues to choose from.
That's entirely possible, but I just have not seen any proof of it yet. I think it will be a long while (if ever) before we see 10 cars in each SP class at PCA races.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Ernie J
Pro

SP1 will have more cars, this year as we Mantissport has built 3 since daytona and one car arrived last night from pittsburgh pa. Maybe ready for Road Atlanta. We had 45 peolpe for our SP1 tech session. Most were new people, NY ,PA,Ontario . We have both of the house SP1 cars rented for Sebring, Maybe we need more SPEc classes and slowly drop some of the old classes. Cost of building and running cars is issue I feel. Or as the newer cars come into racing make the rules "spec" classes, like the boxsters. I beleive thats its a long term problem that PCA needs to look at.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:17 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I think it will be a long while (if ever) before we see 10 cars in each SP class at PCA races.
But Colin, not sure if that's a realistic standard. If 10 were used to gauge each PCA class, many PCA classes at many club race weekends would fall short.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spec Racing