Digital Dash Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:50 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Digital Dash Questions

Hello,

I am looking at a couple of digital dash/datalogging units for my 914 track car. I am looking at the AIM Pista and the Race Technology Dash 2 plus DL-1. The AIM unit will integrate with my Haltech E11 stand alone ECU. The Race Technology Dash doesn't integrate with a stand alone ECU if I am correct.

So here is the question. Why would you want to integrate the dash with the ECU? What advantages would there be? Is it just that you would share sensors?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If your dash/logger has the ability to communicate with your ECU you gain several advantages. First, you will be sending ECU data to the dash/logger over a single communication line using a predefined template. This allows you to display and log many channels over a single communication line without using any of the Analog Voltage channels of the dash. The Pista has 8 AV inputs and lets say it didn't communicate with the Haltech, you'd have to use one of the 8 AV channels for Throttle Position, one for Engine temp, one for Engine RPM, one for Air temp, etc, and you'd quickly find that you have used up your input channels just logging ECU data.

Further, with the ability to collect the data, in the case of the Pista, you can display any of the channels on the dash, and if you have wheel speed, you can calculate and display the gear.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:45 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the DL-1 Dash 2 combination. I am wiring everything up now, so I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I will report back here how I like it after my first event.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Geoffry: Kind of what I thought too. So basically the difference between using the AIM unit and the Race Technology unit for me would be that while they both perform the same functions the AIM unit would be easier to wire. Do you have any experience with the AIM dashes? I read somewhere on Rennlist that there were some quality control and user support issues.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:21 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had the AIM Pista dash on my track car; installed by previous owner. No quality issues and tech support has been real good.
I admit I only have basic info hooked up, but the system works well for me.
Besides, I wouldn't know what to do with all of the data it is capable of providing.
Hope this helps; I would think that hooking directly to the ECU would be a good thing.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:22 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

TD: I would like to hear how the units work and how easy they were to install and get running. I look forward to see your report.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have used the AIM systems (pista, strada, pro) and have only found some small issues that have been resolved. Things like communication with MoTeC equipment over CAN was a problem for awhile. They do update their software regularly to fix issues and provide enhancements so you may run into something, but on the balance it is fine.

Installation should be straight forward with power, ground, RS232 RX and ground to the ECU.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:23 PM
jlucas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see your ECU on the Aim list:
http://www.aimsports.com/products/mxl-chooser.html
That's doesn't mean it won't work but there might be some extra setup involved instead of just a menu pick. You might ask them for some additional clarification. BTW,the AIM GPS module has been released (list $599), now the software just needs to catch up and take more advantage of it.

RT is working on ECU interfaces right now (really). Hopefully there will be more news soon.

I was just looking at some Daytona GAC data tonight (AIM) and it's a really nice feature to have CAN integration between the ECU and data logger.

Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited

Quick Reply: Digital Dash Questions