Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More aluminum trailer questions (RDE)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 10:09 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts
Post More aluminum trailer questions (RDE)

I have been looking at open aluminum trailers to tow my 993 to the track but am not sure what brands to consider. I know Trailex and Featherlite get good press here but what about Aluminum Trailer Company? Any other brands I should consider? Search of archives did not answer my questions.

I have a quote from Aluminum Trailer Company for a 16 footer with 4 way brakes, full floor design, gravel guard, tire rack, and 84" ramps for $5,022, not including freight. Is this a good price?

Also, I plan on towing, hopefully, with my V6 4Runner and the 5 speed tranny. The tow rating is 5,000 lbs. If the trailer weighs 1,000 lbs and the car weighs 3,000, am I being too optimistic in expecting the truck to handle the load? Bear in mind that I will most likely be driving with one other passenger at the most.

My 4Runner is my daily driver and it has a manual gearbox that I just love to stir. I hate the idea of getting something bigger and with an automatic. I have never owned a slushbox and I'm trying hard to abide by that credo.

Finally, if a manufacturer offers a floor design that does not offer full coverage, I may choose this type to reduce weight. Any downsides to consider other than reduced storage space?

As always, thanks in advance!
Old 04-27-2003, 10:35 PM
hyroller
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may want to contact Trailer World in Bowling Green KY. They offer a full line of aluminum trailers. They keep some already built on their lot or they will build to your specs. I bought a 20 fully loaded open aluminum trailer from them 3 years ago. Great to tow pulls very well,great brakes.My tow vehicle is a Ford F250. They are worth a call.Their web site at
<a href="http://www.trailerworld.com/.." target="_blank">http://www.trailerworld.com/..</a> Good luck in your search
Old 04-27-2003, 10:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Hyroller,

Thanks for your info. I have their website bookmarked. Greg Fishman said that their trailers are about 1200 lbs, which may be a bit on the heavy side for my 4Runner.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:34 AM
hyroller
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad that I was of some help. Trailer weight depends on length,axle,single or duel,open or closed bed,etc.Call them for their specs.Greg maybe correct that Trailer World brand maybe too heavy for your tow vehicle Good hunting anyway.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:54 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark:

I towed an 1800lb steel trailer with my 930 on it with an automatic Toyota PreRunner V6.

It also had a 5K lb rating.

I used it for a year and a half and it worked great. It was just slow. Once you got it on the highway and up to speed it was fine. I could run 75-80mph no problem. I just took it easy getting up to speed.

Mountains might be an issue though if you have to travel through mountains alot.

I sold it to buy an Excursion simply because I needed more room to carry all of my track crap.

Brian
Old 04-28-2003, 10:03 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

hyrolller - thanks again for your info!

Brian - 1800lbs for the trailer + 2870 for your 930=4700lbs. Excellent news on the Toyota V6. I still think I'm going to go for an aluminum one, though. Kind of concerned about an automatic being better suited for towing duties than a manual box that you have to slip a bit to engage.

Thank you.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:58 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wasn't necessarily implying that an automatic is better. It was all I had at the time.

The only thing I did was added a transmission cooler to it.

Brian
Old 04-28-2003, 03:04 PM
Mark in Denver
Instructor

Mark,

I have a Trailex open trailer (900 lbs) for my 944 that I pull with a V6 4Runner 5-speed. You really need to stiffen the rear of the 4Runner. They are famous for sagging in the back. I beefed up the rear springs (3" longer) and shocks, put Bilsteins on the front. I also thought it was straining the engine and installed the TRD supercharger. It's great now.

Personally, I think Toyota's claim of 5000 towing capacity is dreaming, as the car is delivered. That may be true for other makes, as well.

Mark Franklin
Old 04-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Mark - thanks for the info. I actually have Airlift airbags residing in the coil springs of the rear to increase the spring rate. Works great!

I've heard of the TRD supercharger. Are you running premium gas to avoid detonation?
Old 04-28-2003, 03:16 PM
Mark in Denver
Instructor

Absolutely, I'm running premium gas. The supercharger cost $1850 including shipping and took me about 6 uneducated hours to install. The torque feels like a V8 now, I think they quote 275. At first, I though it was noisy, but now I don't notice.

Mark
Old 04-28-2003, 03:22 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Mark - Just got off the phone with Carl at Trailex. Do you have surge or electric brakes?
Old 04-28-2003, 05:35 PM
Mark in Denver
Instructor

Surge brakes. I love them. I also have the tire rack, front screen, tool box, spare tire, manual winch.

Mark

Quick Reply: More aluminum trailer questions (RDE)