electric or surge trailer brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
You can do something! Hit the gas!
Presumably, you got into the ugly situation due to overly close, hard objects that are either slow-moving or not moving at all. Think "large, immovable objects in the line of fire". Best thing to do just before a wreck ? Burn off speed. Works on the street, works on the track.

While "more gas" fixes tankslappers on motorcycles and in front-wheel drive cars, it is generally not a "crisis management" technique applicable to trailer towing.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:06 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
You can do something! Hit the gas!
Well I have experienced that a couple of times. Once was very slick conditions downhill - rig was picking up speed but the trailer was picking up even more speed through a curve. Often the problem is downhill as the trailer tries to push you.

"Hit the gas" would have been really ugly.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:40 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Oh gosh, there should be no second thought.....electric and prodigy.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mbb993
About to pull the trigger on a trailer. Probably will go with a Trailex

I am undecided about brake choice. What are the advantages/disadvantages of electric-vs-surge brakes?

Will be pulling with an F150.

Thanks for the info!

I agree that electrics are preferable so If you are buying new, get electric. If used, don't be afraid of surge. My trailex has surge and they work fine for me. Electrics are better for calming "tail wagging" but I don't see that they stop better.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Electric are cheaper, operate better, can be adjusted on the fly, parts are cheaper, easier and less expensive to fix and less maintenance required.

Surge are less adjustable, a PITA to diagnose and fix, gotta change fluid, couplers are sensitive, don't like rust, SURGE BRAKES ARE NOT TO BE USED WITH A FRICTION SWAY CONTROL, parts are more money, they're messy when servicing. Backing up is a pain even with a reverse lockout.

We have surge brakes on some of our rental trailers only because most people don't have brake controllers. I also have them on a boat trailer. I hate them. Electric all the way.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:06 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

As someone who tows virtually every week (up to 15 tons) I vote with the electric setup as well.

Just an FYI on the brake controllers, Ford started in '06 comming out with an integrated brake controller that is tied into the ABS. Very slick. It is one of the main reasons I bought my F-350 crew cab 4x4.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:39 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I have been thinking about adding this option into my truck since it didn't have it from the factory. Apparently you can just purchase the kit, and then have the truck re-flashed at the dealer to accept it. But my Prodigy works so well!

Originally Posted by smlporsche
As someone who tows virtually every week (up to 15 tons) I vote with the electric setup as well.

Just an FYI on the brake controllers, Ford started in '06 comming out with an integrated brake controller that is tied into the ABS. Very slick. It is one of the main reasons I bought my F-350 crew cab 4x4.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:45 AM
mbb993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I was leaning toward the electric brakes before I posted and you have all confirmed my thoughts.

My F150 is an '06 so I will look into the factory installed option. Not sure if the cost will be similar to any other controllers or not.

Are the controllers easy to install?

Thanks for all the great info!

Old 01-26-2007, 12:28 PM
hayaku
Advanced

the prodigy has adapters to most trucks (no manual wiring needed)... plug and play really... call up tenkonsha to see if your particular model has an adapter.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:40 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Electric brakes and some training if you haven't towed much.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:30 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Just got off the phone with my Ford service dept. and they informed me that as of now the new factory brake controller is only available for the F250 and up. I guess I will need to go aftermarket.

Quick Reply: electric or surge trailer brakes?