Sponsored by:

harness loops for DAS roll bar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts
Default harness loops for DAS roll bar?

Looking at a used DAS bar, painted, but without harness guide loops added.

I assumed these are usually required? Just wondering, because if they need to be welded on later, then the fact that it is already painted does not help me much. Or am I misunderstanding how the shourder harnesses are attached?

This is for a 993 coupe. Would prefer the least invasive install possible.

Thanks for any help.

Matt
Old 01-26-2007, 02:29 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe they are mandatory but worst case, you can weld them on then repaint the bar...no big deal at all.

The harness wrap around the cross brace the guides only hold them in position on the bar but they won't move much anyway...
Old 01-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They just loop around the cross bar, and there is no guide loop,...also, do a search and you'll find a lot of info to keep you busy for days on Das rollbars and the whole "safety gear complex" that needs to be there.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:57 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have to have guides you can get split locking rings that are normaly used for drive shafts onblowers and the like. You can get them in 1.5 inside dia. They clamp around the bar. Get 2 per strap one for each side. No welding or painting. I thionk some of the online race shops are selling bling ones made form anodized al.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:10 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Yup, as long as you have race seats you don't need any guide loops in a 993 coupe. The straps aren't going anywhere.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:15 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
If you have to have guides you can get split locking rings that are normaly used for drive shafts onblowers and the like. You can get them in 1.5 inside dia. They clamp around the bar. Get 2 per strap one for each side. No welding or painting. I thionk some of the online race shops are selling bling ones made form anodized al.
You should use these even if you have harness holes in the seat because if the seat moves during impact the rings help retain the overall position. Split rings are better than welded loops because you can adjust them as needed especially if you add a HANS later. Do a search in a mcmaster carr catalog
Old 01-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks for the advice. That's good news.

Safety is definitely a system which I have decided (for me) will include FIA buckets, 6 point belts and the roll bar. Wil find a way to retain and use the 3 points for the street.

PS - any idea what a fair price for a used bar would be?

M

Old 01-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
McMaster Carr, search for shaft collar. They're about $10/per.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:23 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Thanks for the advice. That's good news.

any idea what a fair price for a used bar would be?

I think I saw one somewhere here on Rennlist for $750 a few days ago. That's near the high I've seen them go for. I sold one a year or so ago for $500.

The best ones to buy are the ones that have been taken out of the donor car a long time ago and have been taking up valuable garage space. Motivated sellers.

Quick Reply: harness loops for DAS roll bar?