Sponsored by:

very stiff torsion bar set up for 911SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 04:23 PM
egmar
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post very stiff torsion bar set up for 911SC

I have a '81 911 SC dedicated race car. I looked through the archives and could not find anything about how stiff one can go on the torsion bars. I want to go as stiff as possible in order to avoid lifting all too much before entering a 100mph turn with a big dip in the middle. I remember going with stiff springs on my alfa and removing the sway bars worked well. my 911 has no spoilers/wings. all interior and unnecessary things removed. stock 3.2 engine with modified exhaust line. soon with 3.5 Andial twin plug.
It would be nice to hear from someone, what torsion bar combination works. Thank you.
Egmar
Old 04-24-2003, 09:47 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I used 23 mm fronts and 30 mm rears on my ROW '81 SC. Used Koni sport shocks and struts, urethane bushings, 22 mm adj sway bars front and back. The front was set as soft as possible and the rear was set as stiff as possible. I drove mainly at Road Atlanta and it handled great for me.

Just my .02

Jim
Old 04-26-2003, 08:09 AM
egmar
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim,
thank you for your reply. I will try a 23/33 set-up, deleting the sway bars.
Egmar
Old 04-26-2003, 07:11 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Egmar:

That torsion bar setup will be just fine for track and that new engine.

I would strongly suggest that you do NOT delete the swaybars on your 911. These perform a complimentary role to the springs and are THE prime tuning tool for adjusting the understeer/oversteer balance of the car.

These are are not Alfa's and have different weight distribution and suspension geometry,...

I would suggest installing a matched pair of adjustable swaybars such as the SRP or TRG ones in the appropriate sizes.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:40 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
With a 23/33 setup, you're going to need to get your shocks re-valved. Also, I agree with Steve: do not eliminate swaybars on a 911. You reduce your suspension tuning options to almost zero if you do that.

Finally, keep in mind that your springs are just one component of your suspension setup. Depending on your class restrictions, you might want to think about coil-overs, instead (they allow easier tuning, and higher overall spring rates). You might also want to think about Smart Racing's camber boxes in the rear, along with 935 spring plates and Turbo trailing arms. It's also hard to improve on an ERP front end.

But all of this has to be seen as a complete package, rather than just individual pieces. Someone like Steve can help you sort out the whole deal -- he's done hundreds of 911 suspensions, and ke knows all the tricks.

Quick Reply: very stiff torsion bar set up for 911SC