Sponsored by:

Wiring kill switch in conjunction with interior DME cutoff

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring kill switch in conjunction with interior DME cutoff

I'm still learning about wiring; I suck at electrical stuff. On my 928, I am going to install a 6-pole kill switch. Obviously, this will be mounted on the exterior of the car. I also want to have a toggle switch on the interior (the switch is 50-amp rated) to kill DME power. SO, when I break into the DME circuit for the kill switch, I assume I can run one one side of the loop to my interior switch.

Question is: Should I install a relay on this switch as well, or will I be fine with just the switch breaking the circuit?

Thanks in advance... I'm still trying to figure out where I do and don't need relays.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The 6 pole switches aren't too bad. You get big power from the battery to one terminal and big power to the car from the other. On the bottom, you have 2 pairs of spade connectors. One pair is normally open and one pair is normally closed. The reason for this is twofold. When you cutoff the battery with the switch, the alternator is still producing a charge, you need some way to discharge it. So, when you turn off the main switch, one pair of connectors will close and you will wire the alternator excite wire to one terminal and the other side will run through the supplied resistor and then to ground. This protects the car's electrics from a spike. The second pair is closed when the switch is on and open when the switch off. This allows you to connect the DME or Ignition system so it will guarentee to kill the car when the master is turned off. You can take the terminal 85, or 86, or 87 of the DME relay, cut it and run the leads to the second pair of terminals. I would use 85 or 86.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a bunch, Geoffrey; now I know how the 6-pole switches actually work. I'm still wondering, how exactly would I go about hooking up a toggle switch on the interior to kill the DME power from the inside? Can I just run the switch inline with the leads from the DME relay and it will work like I am thinking, or am I completely wrong? I'm getting a better grasp now about relays, but still not quite sure how to tackle the interior switch.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd have to understand exactly what you are wanting to do because it sounds like you already have that switch, it's the key switch. If you are replacing the key switch, then that changes things a bit. Feel free to call me if you want.

Quick Reply: Wiring kill switch in conjunction with interior DME cutoff