JRZ service intervals

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 03:24 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Post JRZ service intervals

I have noticed a couple of posts regarding annual rebuilds of JRZ suspensions. Should you soften the settings for street to get more life from the seals? I drive 20-25 DE days a season.This would be around 30 hours on the track. Add 3000 miles of highway driving. My system has 6 track hours and 400 street miles now.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-28-2001, 04:34 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Bill,
If I were you I wouldn't drive it on the street period. I just sent my shocks up to be rebuilt and the guy that is doing it said they would not stay fresh for long if you use them on them on the street, I don't think you will hurt them but they won't perform as well. I know that my shocks have been on my car for 3 seasons and they were in serious need of rebuilding, it will be interesting to see how much of a difference fresh shocks will make.

The guy doing my shocks said they rebuild them for race teams after every 10 hours.. you play you gotta pay, right?

Greg

P.S. Got the tires and the $$ is on its way to IMA.
Thanks
Old 12-28-2001, 04:52 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great you finally got the tires. Enjoy them.

I had a bad feeling about the street use from my very first trip around the DC beltway. How could I tell my wife its now a track only car...

One trip to the kart track a month can't cause much additional wear.

Have a great '02 Greg!
Old 12-28-2001, 05:31 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I understand your dilema, you jumped off straight into the deep end! Not neccesarily a bad thing, but I have a different perspective than most...
I hope you have a greatnew year also and look forward to meeting you at the track. When you start to plan your spring email me.
Greg
Old 12-28-2001, 10:16 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bill walczak:
<STRONG>I drive 20-25 DE days a season. This would be around 30 hours on the track.</STRONG>
That's not a lot of track time per day... what? an hour and a half per day? We must be spoiled out here in California, because we get about double that per day, sometimes more. Jerry P. and his wife Marybeth share an RS America, and normally get 300 track miles per day on their car (last week at Sears Point they did 360).

Todd Serota has JRZ's on his 996, does probably 30 track days a year, and the car is his daily driver. I don't think he's had his rebuilt yet.
Old 12-29-2001, 03:26 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Just a data point here based upon our experiences,.......

We have installed quite few JRZ's and Motons' on various track & street cars. This are healthy mix of single, double, and triple adjustable shocks.

JRZ did suffer some some QC issues for a few years and the shocks so affected will need more frequent rebuilding and do not hold their gas pressure charge as well as they ought to, IMHO.

We have several heavily driven race cars that have had Moton's for 2 years and have not needed any servicing. Most of the JRZ's do need service about once a year. I would use any of these shocks on a street car in a heartbeat with no reservations. If you get a bad pair, I'd surely try to get JRZ to help out , but these are race parts and are always sold, as is.

The only install-and-forget shocks I've seen thus far are the various Bilsteins including the new PSS-9's. Further, these do have a lifetime Limited warranty if purchased from a USA vendor,........

Like Greg said, "If you gonna play, you're gonna pay". All of these race shocks need much more frequent attention than street shocks, all things being equal. Caveat Emptor on race parts,....
Old 12-29-2001, 08:35 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

D.J.,

We drive 4 sessions a day for 20 to 25 minutes per session. On rare occasions we can exceed that but this seems typical. Deduct the full course black flag, red flag times and you can be standing by most of the day.

Trending Topics

Old 12-29-2001, 09:48 AM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Hi Bill
you might want to buy one EXTRA front shock & one rear shock with springs (FYI-preset the ride heights by counting the threads on your spares!) so if and when the shocks fail you can always be ready for the street & track.

I had several instances of DEAD shocks at variuos corners and had to just drive through it...hated it....which aint no godamn fun......like when your doin' the downhill & Road Atlanta with Hank Cohn on your ***......or racing at Summit point in the rain against Ralph D.s '97 993TT S. A spare shock could have been slapped in....I was down when I got around to it for 2 weeks.

Also if your 993/996/964 rides like crap......make sure that you have a DOUBLE springs suspension all around. My car rides like a PUSSYCAT and handles better than M030 while riding as well.....single springs ride like a truck. I just switched over to doubles last summer after tolerating a hard ride. Switch to double springs its like magic and ask whomever rebuilds your shocks to check over everything.....you should be good to go for the longterm.
see you in 2002
joe fab
993RSCS
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 12-29-2001, 10:31 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Joe,

The ride and handling are great. Pussycat may be a bit strong but I asked for a "track" set up and thats what I got. Main & tender springs w/double adjust JRZ's, EVO uprights, adjustable links... . It sounds like the "race" life of the seals is way shorter than the serviceable track life. Similar to driving on Hoosiers for one or two race sessions but could drive 8 or 10 DE days and have a ball.

This car will get "0" mods until I can drive 10 laps at Summit averaging 1:26:40. That was Ivans slowest lap in my car with overinflated tired Hoosiers. I should have started when I was younger.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:50 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by bill walczak:
<STRONG>This car will get "0" mods until I can drive 10 laps at Summit averaging 1:26:40. That was Ivans slowest lap in my car with overinflated tired Hoosiers. </STRONG>
Bill,

Don't just shoot for an average of 1:26.40, try to get all ten laps between 1:26.30 and 1:26.50.
Old 12-29-2001, 10:40 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Come on DJ - two tenths

Ought to be 1/10 for 10 laps.

E. J.

PS - Bill, What roll bar do you have?
Old 12-30-2001, 12:33 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>Come on DJ - two tenths

Ought to be 1/10 for 10 laps.

</STRONG>
E.J.,

That was a goal for Bill, not for you or me. My Personal best was two laps in a row during a POC time trial at Willow Springs (one warm-up lap, two hot laps, and a cool-down lap). The two hot laps were 1:35.020 & 1:35.030

I backed it down just a little on the second lap because the tires were corded and I was sliding all over the place.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:29 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>The two hot laps were 1:35.020 & 1:35.030

I backed it down just a little on the second lap because the tires were corded and I was sliding all over the place. </STRONG>
Good for you. I guess you are free to modify your car now.

Oops, too late. Sounds pretty consistent.

Bill - like DJ says, shoot for ten consequetive laps within 1/2 a second considering traffic. Good luck, hope to se you on the journey next year.

E. J.
Old 12-30-2001, 10:11 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was allowing for traffic

E.J.,

I have the DAS bar. I found a picture of a yellow RSR in a 1988 Excellence magazine that was refered to as the "school bus". I will e mail it to you.

Quick Reply: JRZ service intervals