Sponsored by:

Boxster S club racer

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 04:53 PM
J. R. Atkinson
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Boxster S club racer

I'm looking for contacts/info about converting a Boxster S (or Boxster) into a PCA club racer. I'd like to hear what changes worked well, and what didn't work so well. I'm planning on building a car to race Stock, so I'll be focusing on suspension mods. I'm skeptical of making exhaust changes but may do so if somebody has seen a real benefit from making a change.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:57 PM
J. R. Atkinson
2nd Gear

Question

Forgot to add: leads on pre-built Boxster roll cages would also be appreciated.
Old 12-07-2001, 05:38 PM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think this will help any, but I took this picture at the Ventura autofest earlier this year. I tried the address on the door, but it didn't work.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/MotorCit...ad_boxster.jpg

Tom
Old 12-07-2001, 06:51 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
J.R.,
I see you are in Maryland. I had a 993 modified for the track this year. A few people had recommended IMA in Alexandria. www.imamotorsport.com

Since then they have done extensive work on my car and attended track events with me to help me improve my driving. Small company with big talent.

No affiliation, just a happy driver
Old 12-08-2001, 01:02 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by J. R. Atkinson:
<STRONG>Forgot to add: leads on pre-built Boxster roll cages would also be appreciated.</STRONG>

I think that Safety Devices makes a bolt in cage for the Boxster. I was at Sebring two years ago when the very first Boxster to commpete in PCA Club Racing and that was the cage he had in that car. You could always go with a custom cage but that may be more money and not as easily removed, but a welded in cage may be safer. I don't imagine there is much you can do to that engine to get more hp. An exhaust might help reduce some weight in the tail end of the car and help you hear the engine during a race, which is beneficial especially at the start with a dozen cars all around you it is hard to pay attention to your tach and I shift by sound and if you can't hear your car you may bounce of your rev limiter a couple times and lose a couple spots.
Focus on the suspension, I would recommend Moton or JRZ's and adjustable swaybars if they are available.
I think the Boxster S will be a great car for racing. I have driven a standard boxster and was very impressed with its handling even in stock form.
Good Luck,
Greg
Old 12-18-2001, 12:56 AM
Racer3721
3rd Gear

Thumbs up

I think The Racer's Group has adj. sways for the Boxster and 996.
Give them a try.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:43 PM
QuikStuf993
Intermediate

Although I do not own a Boxter, I have a few comments based upon experience with suspension components.

The JRZ and Motron shocks are adjustable race chocks not meant for hiway use. How do I know this? I put JRZ in my 993 and had to have them rebuilt at least once a year (8-10 track days, 2-3k street miles a year). These are normally rebuilt by racers (ie Grand Am/ALMS after every race weekend. And, if you are not changing spring rates there is no need to change shock rates.

I have since uninstalled the JRZ and gone to a non adjustable Bilstein (at less than half the cost of JRZ) that are tuned to my spring rates.

They work great.

YMMV

Quick Reply: Boxster S club racer