Sponsored by:

Brake Pads for DE Events

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 02:07 PM
belz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Duh! So I'm slow ... it just occured to me that one must follow the "burnishing" procedure if your replacing pads only OR rotors only OR both.
When I replace my rotors and keep the same pads I have not paid as much attention to the "transfer film" thing.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:07 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Brian, Jim here. I was going to ask how VIR was.

I've never been to VIR. Is it hard on the brakes like Road Atlanta? I put a new set of PFC 90's before going to Road Atlanta last time and was surprised at the lack of wear I got from them this time. I had used a set for 5-6 events before and decided to swap this time out.

Unfortunatly, I had no time to drive the car for several hundred miles to bed the brakes in and of course I couldn't bed them in at the track and have fun while parked to let them cool down between bedding in procedures.

After thinking about though and talking to a friend tonight, my lap times are in the 1:44's, down from the low 1:50's, so as your speed/times get faster, your brakes work harder. My pedal was always firm and the car stopped great. They just aren't going to last but two events. My buddy gets one event with his pads. All the rotors are going to need replacement after this last event also (6-7 events) due to cracking and I have the cool hats ducted to the front air dam to help keep them cooler.

With your times getting faster(?) you'll wear parts faster and with everyones input maybe it's time to try another pad or compound. I'll have to look at this myself(or maybe it's time for the Big Reds?).

Jim
Old 12-05-2001, 11:30 AM
Andie W. Lin
5th Gear

Carbotech Engineering is an industry leading manufacturer of custom race pads; we also resell the entire Hawk and Performance Friction line of brake pads. We have several Porsche customers who use our Panther line of track/race compounds - Panther Plus and Panther XP - for track and DE events, as well as full-race applications. Based on testing, our compounds, which are ceramic based, have been very well received by the club racing market relative to other compounds, such as those from Pagid, Hawk, and Porterfield.

Please feel free to visit out website at www.carbotecheng.com, or call us toll-free at 877-899-5024 and we will be pleased to discuss your braking application with you in detail.

With Best Regards,

Andie Lin
Old 12-05-2001, 11:58 AM
Andie W. Lin
5th Gear

Our testing with various burnishing techniques is that none of them will replicate the necessary on-car bedding of the pad. Properly bedding-in a new brake pad requires both the heat generated under braking AND the compressive pressure. While off-car burnishing or bedding techniques may generate the necessary heat, they do not provide the compression necessary.

With Best Regards,

Andie
Old 12-05-2001, 01:21 PM
QuikStuf993
Intermediate

Andie,

I'd enjoy looking at your website, but there seems to be a problem hooking to it.

Is that the correct address? www.carbotecheng.com?
Old 12-05-2001, 01:29 PM
Andie W. Lin
5th Gear

Yes, that is the correct addy.

From there, you have to click on the picture or choose a flag (the U.S. flag) to enter the site.

Is the first page not coming up? I just tested it and it works from my end...maybe a momentary server issue.

LMK - Andie
Old 12-17-2001, 01:54 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Brian, like you, I started out using PFC90s, then after many issues with feeling like they weren't doing the trick...I made the switch.

I now use Pagid Orange, for DE events...a friend of mine that has ridden with me at a few events was in awe at the difference, as was I. It costs quite a bit more to outfit the car with them...but IMHO, it's well worth it.

If you were Club Racing, then maybe Pagid Blue would be the answer, but for now, try the Oranges out, you won't be disappointed.

I have not tried the Hawk Blues, but a couple guys on here, (Belz and Greg) are apparently very impressed with them...I can only speak for Pagid.

One downside...the Pagid Orange brake pads that I use now are, by far, the most expensive consumable item I use for track events...prior to that, it was tires, of course. These pads only last about two events on the front, then I can swap that set to the rear for one event and they're done.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads for DE Events