KUMHO: ECSTA V700

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 01:59 PM
belz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question KUMHO: ECSTA V700

Anyone try these yet?
If so, please comment. How do they compare to the old Victoracer v-700 / hoosier / etc.?
Hoosier 285/30/18 = $253.00
Kumho V700 285/30/18= $195.00
Worth a try?
Old 12-17-2001, 01:43 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Belz, I'm glad I looked before posting the same topic...except I AM currently using a set of these. I have mixed reviews, but think the down side of them that I have experienced is my fault.

I strapped a set on, after using Hoosiers for over 30 events...the cost was quite a bit cheaper, and they looked as if they would last a couple weekends longer??

My first event on them was @Summit Point, after getting some swaybar issues out of the way, and figuring out a decent "ballpark" figure for tire pressures, the car was a blast...I drive a 1991 964 C2, suspension emulating that of a Cup Car...swaybars and all.

Then I went to an event at Roebling Roads, the temp. was about the same as Summit, maybe there was a humidity difference or the track surface was that much different? I dunno, but after returning from the event someone suggested that my swaybars should have been setup "loose" for Roebling as it's not as tight and there are little to no elevation changes at Roebling, it made sense, I have been to both tracks on numerous occasions.

My overall opinion would be for people to try them, they do cost quite a bit less ($300 less to outfit my C2) than Hoosiers...and they have the potential to last longer.

I do know that they are considerably lighter than their predacessor, the V700...that was the real kicker when deciding on buying a set due to the fact that all I've heard about the V700s is that "they're heavy"...I don't know this for sure, but it makes sense, when compared to Hoosiers.

So...in short, I say TRY THEM! Hopefully we can get some other people on this topic that have tried them as well.

Cheers!
Old 12-17-2001, 02:52 PM
Arthur
Pro

I am glad I scrolled through this forum. I just happened to be thumbing through the April 2001 issue of Pano. page 78, regarding Michelins vs BFG, vs Pirelli's. I think Michelins are the most expensive. They also had the best times. Therefore, the dictum, "You get what you pay for." may be true. I hope the Kumho is a real bargain/value!
Old 12-17-2001, 03:07 PM
belz
Instructor

I wish someone would do a more usefull tire comparison. The Pano article was basically useless. BFG doesn't make the tire anymore ... Pirelli's have never been considered "fast" tires ... so where does that leave the Michelins?
I sure would like to see a tire comparison that compares Hoosier vs. Kumho Victoracer vs. Kumho ECSTA V700 vs. Goodyear GSC-whatever.
Grassroots Motorsports did a comparison ... I'll have to dig that out again, can't remember what or how it compared. They (GRM) did do a tire "treatment" test that seemed to prove that treated tires did perform better than non.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:32 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 4 in my garage, unfortunately, at best my first race in Feb 15, 2001, last year the race on that date came off, cause the weather was fine. But, being in Tennessee, your guess is as good as mine. My first, for sure race, will be the 3rd week in March, at the same track, but I know the weather will be fine, not necessarily dry, but, oh well. I will save your email address, and let you know, but with Fla, and So Calif, I'm sure you will find out sooner. Let us know, unless they are lousy, in which case I don't want to know, cause I would hate to have to throw $800 worth of tires away.

I used the earlier version and they were fine. For the first few laps the Hoosiers would smoke me, but mine lasted longer, and as often as not, I could catch them.

Good luck

Bill
Old 12-17-2001, 07:37 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoh, I just reread your posting. Do you mean the ECSTA 712, I think that is the strictly street tire, the ECSTA V700 is the new race tire, I am speaking of. Sorry for the confusion.

Bill

Quick Reply: KUMHO: ECSTA V700