Sponsored by:

mounting and storing Hoosiers

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 11:41 AM
Arthur
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post mounting and storing Hoosiers

I will be mounting Hoosier track tires next week. This is in anticipation of more Driver's Ed events, the next one that I'm eyeing is in April of 2002. Is there a problem with mounting these special tires and storing them in my garage for up to 5-6 months? Should I not mount and wait until the week before an event? I will not be mounting the wheels on the car and letting the tires flatspot, but instead will have the wheels stacked one on top of the other. Any help appreciated; I need to shave off 5 seconds off my laptime at CMP!:-)))
Old 10-29-2001, 11:49 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't think you will have a problem, but if you are not doing any events until April I would wait to closer to the event to buy them. If you do go on and get them, or already have them I would store them inside (basement, not garage) where the tires will be less effected by temperature changes. A Hoosier rep even suggested putting the tires in large garbage bags and vacuuming the air out and storing in a controlled environment.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:01 PM
Howard
Racer

Arthur,

New Hoosiers should be heat cycled correctly in order to maximize the performance. Read tips on care and pressures here : www.tirerack.com

good luck !
Old 10-29-2001, 12:34 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Now the wild approach to this would be that unless you are getting an exceptionally good deal on the tires, to keep the money, buy some crazy internet stock that is WAY down. And hope for a pop prior to March, cash out, and buy 2 sets of tires.... (Just kidding of course)

I wouldn't spend the money until closer to time. I'm pretty conservative on stuff like that. If I didn't need the tires for a few months, and felt like the price would not fluctuate wildly (which it probably won't), I would hold off. That is 4-6 months away and alot can happen between now and then.

Just my .02 .
Old 10-29-2001, 03:21 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Howard:
<STRONG>Arthur,

New Hoosiers should be heat cycled correctly in order to maximize the performance. Read tips on care and pressures here : www.tirerack.com

good luck !</STRONG>
Howard,
From my dealing with Hoosier they do recommend heat cycling to get max wear out of a set but it won't help the overall performance (lap times). I usually give the tires a light scrub in a day or two before the race and don't put them on until qualifying since times will deteriorate after each heatcycle with the first two or three being the best.
Is this not what you have found?
Old 10-29-2001, 03:56 PM
Howard
Racer

Greg,

I agree, I don't think lap times will be improved by heat cycling, but you may get 1 or 2 more sessions before performance drops off. Tirerack charges $15 for cycling, so I intend on buying them pre-cycled from now on so I don't have to wonder whether or not I'm getting the best bang for buck, and maybe I'll get an extra track day before lap times creep upward!
Old 10-30-2001, 11:09 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesn't anybody wonder how TireRack is able to heat cycle so many tires every day? On a machine going in a straight line for 15 minutes per tire no less. The best way is on the street or better yet on the track, then let them sit there for a period of time. I've bought heat cycled tires from them with no noticable difference and I'd save the money.

Heck, I've driven almost 400 open track miles at Road Atlanta on a set of used Pirelli slicks driving just two days this year and getting ready to go again on the same ones. They were used once at a race when I picked them up so they were fresh tires and still stick like glue.

IMHO.

Jim
Old 10-30-2001, 11:26 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Jim,

What size are the slicks, and where did you get them? Cost?
Old 10-31-2001, 10:36 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

DJ,

Fronts are Pirelli 245/645-18
Rears are Pirelli 305/645-18
I'm using BBS centerlock rims that are 8 1/2x18 in front and 10 1/2x18 in the rear. The factory spacers are still on.

Last year I was using Goodyear 12"x25 1/2"
slick in the rear. Man, 12" was wide and these are not far off. The goodyear was a little taller than usual but, what traction.

Call Bob Woodman Tires at 843.571.2277 or check his site at www.bobwoodmantires.com
He can set you up with a set of new BBS rims or used (like I did and they look great)and also new Pirelli's, Goodyear's and other slicks and DOT tires.

He sells and services the tires at all the PCA, HSR, etc races on the east coast.

Once you go try slicks, you'll be hard pressed to go back to shaved DOT's or worse yet street tires when it comes to grip!

I'll send you a picture of mine on my car.

Regards,
Jim
Old 11-02-2001, 10:08 PM
Arthur
Pro

What happens to a set of competition tires that get used twice a year? Next question is, I have 8.5 x 18 front and 10.5 x 18 rear. What's the best size for my wheels?
Old 11-02-2001, 11:59 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

I suppose if I was racing I would be lacking but, for DE's and open track, they work great. They've only been run twice due to my work schedule. We usually run 5-6 times a year.

I'm not an expert on tires and always get with Bob woodman or Bob chick at www.Bobwoodmantires.com for the best advice. They're local for me, so I'm able to go down and talk to them. All they do is sell race tires (with Hoosiers selling the most) at races including PCA, POC, etc. They ship tires also.

Both do extensive racing including PCA, POC and even Daytona so they know their business. Give them a call for the best tire fitment. Places like Tirerack sell what the car specs call for, skinny tires.

Jim
Old 03-27-2002, 02:12 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a 1983 930 that I've DE'd 5 times.

In a little over a week I am going to be using DOT slicks for the first time. Goodyear GS-CS 245/40/17 and 275/40/17.

What kind of tire pressures should I run.

I am going to VIR and previously (street tires) I had started each run (at VIR) with the following:
Front:25psi end of session would be about 29-30psi
Rear: 35psi end of session would be about 42-43psi

What do I need to run in these slicks in order to maximize their lifespan.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 03-27-2002, 05:13 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Hello Brian,

I will see you at VIR. Tire pressure for your Goodyears go to Bob Woodman Tires web site and you will find all the right answers. Also take the valve stems out and replace the air with nitrogen. When the tires heat up the pressures will only increase 3 or 4 lbs.

Quick Reply: mounting and storing Hoosiers