Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech Tactics 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007 | 11:14 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Default Tech Tactics 2007

The granddaddy of PCA tech sessions, Zone 1 Tech Tactics, will be in its 27th year of continuous operation in 2007. The event’s longevity is a testament to the many talented, knowledgeable guest speakers who have contributed their time as well as the dedicated event chairs who have led the event over the decades. But a long-standing event just like an old house could use a facelift every decade or two to keep it current. With that in mind, this year’s installment of Zone 1 Tech Tactics will be the Extreme Makeover addition!
After many years of inhabiting the stuffy confines of a hotel conference room, we are moving this tech event back to where it belongs, the garage shop floor. This type of grassroots tech session has been a staple within the Porsche Club of America since its inception 50+ years ago. Farnbacher Loles in Danbury, CT has graciously agreed to open its garage doors to host the Zone 1 Tech Tactics event on Saturday, March 3, 2007. Their facility will enable everyone to have a more hands-on experience with cars on lifts and access to other equipment such as wheel alignment racks, tire balancers and a chassis dyno. And we plan to take full advantage of these valuable resources.
Many of the usual suspects will be coming from near and far to contribute their technical expertise. The PCA national tech committee will be well represented by the likes of Bruce Anderson, Allan Caldwell, John Paterek, George Beuselinck, John Veninger, Joel Reiser and Peter Smith. In addition, we’ll have a safety equipment talk by Joe Marko, Motec engine management and programming by Geoffrey Ring, a demonstration of a full safety tech on a club race car by Dan Jacobs, and of course a senior development engineer from the Porsche factory to talk about the latest technology going into our toys from Stuttgart. And just to spice things up, we might have a car on the alignment bench and a few special cars up on the lifts for general viewing, demonstrations, and discussions Don’t forget the Porsche AG contest, with some one of a kind prizes awarded in the past .
For more information on the back-to-basics makeover of Zone 1 Tech Tactics, please contact the event chair, Pete Tremper at tremper9146@aol.com / 856-881-7049 or the event registrar, George Beuselinck at georgeb@944ecology.com / 845-658-9593
Old 01-11-2007 | 06:42 PM
John D.
Banned

Bump.....

Stick

John D.
Old 01-12-2007 | 08:28 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Thanks....
Old 02-26-2007 | 09:30 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Good Morning All,
Due to an overwhelming preregistration response to theTech Tactics 2007 event , we have to shut down registration and will not be able to handle any last minute walk ins. We have 240 preregistered for this event as of Feb.23..
Thank you for your support..See you next year..
Pete
Old 03-03-2007 | 08:32 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pete and the Zone 1 Team - I just wanted to say Thank You All! It was a great day. Interesting speakers, a lot of knowledge and renewing friendships. An exceptional job! So glad I was able to make it!
Old 03-03-2007 | 09:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Yes it was, sorry I didn't get to meet you... Thank you to all the speakers!

Bernd Hemminger - Porsche AG - Direct Fuel Injection
Peter Smith - National Tech Committee - Cayenne
Joe Marko - Owner HMS Motorsport - Safety Equipment in Racing
John Paterek - National Tech Committee - Interiors & Exteriors
George Beuselinck - National Tech Committee - 944 Maintenance
John Veninger - National Tech Committee – 928 Maintenance
Bruce Anderson - Senior Technical Advisor - 911 Race Motors
Allan Caldwell - Technical Editor - Panorama
Geoffrey Ring - Motec Management
Joel Reiser - National Tech Committee - 911 (1989-2007)
Dan Jacobs - Owner Dan Jacobs, LLC - Technical Inspection of a club race car
Tom Charlesworth - March 3, 2007
National PCA Technical Committee Chairman
Dom Miliano – Automotive Photography & Journalist
Old 03-04-2007 | 11:40 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

I heard Geoffry Ring gave an awesome presentation.A very impressive fellow!!
Old 03-04-2007 | 02:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Yes, quite interesting..
Old 03-04-2007 | 03:46 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Geoffrey's presentation was good but it seemed like the 45 minute time allotment was too short, actually all the presenters seemed rushed. I kinda got the idea that everyone wanted to go into more detail but couldn't? Joel's talk was definitely the most entertaining even if he was a little harsh on the C4. And based on the turnout I'd say the location was great but the venue was horrible. Hopefuly next years event will take place somewhere (closer to the previous location ) that you can actually hear the presenters. Even if they had a PA system I'm not sure if Farnbacher is the place to hold something like this? It's a great advertisement for them but not so great for those attending. The dealership next door with the Group C cars and the Audi V10 and the F1 & Indy cars and the ... was also very cool.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 03-04-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2007 | 05:56 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gary R. And Jason I wish I had actually met you both. We need to something about our rennlist identification.
Old 03-04-2007 | 06:22 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

It was a great event, too bad about the acoustics, otherwise it would have been about perfect.

I liked Joel's presentation as it really helps to see the parts in person. I went home early and continued watching the Grand Am race and they mentioned the tech session when one of the F-L cars was in the lead.

I liked the location, and the turnout proved it was a good choice. Maybe some sort of sound-deadening dividing walls as used in office cubicles could help with the sound problems.
Old 03-04-2007 | 06:33 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

To all those involved in putting on the event - Thank you! It really was a very well done event. The speakers certainly knew their stuff and Joel was particularly funny with his "magician" style. He'd pull a gear shaft out of his sleeve and slam it down Our visitor from Porsche was very careful about letting any information slip about the application of DFI to the sports car lines, but the technology is fantastic. I loved his unplanned joke - when he said "so, the faster you go the more gasoline you save..." and when we all laughed and clapped he realize he was misunderstood. Joe Marko was his usually excellent self bringing us up to date with safety.

As others have chimed in on "improvements", here are my thoughts...

Move the registration table into the building a bit more. It was 28 degrees and there was a long line of us waiting to get in. Rent / borrow more of those portable room dividers and have some sort of mini-amplification systems for each area. Try to not have one seminar zone where people walk between other areas (like where the GT3 RSR was - as people went by it was loud). Granted, in a large facility like that, microphones can cause problems - but there has to be a way to allow us to hear the speakers (many of the seminars I had to leave because even though I sat as close as possible, I couldn't hear).

Unfortunately, there were discourteous people there. There were people gabbing away right in the seminars catching up on old times and many of us had to keep turning around and asking people to be quiet so we could hear the presenter (and the looks they gave us!).

Wow, lunch was fantastic! Again, fantastic event and thank you for the hard work in putting it on!
Old 03-04-2007 | 08:40 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Originally Posted by RonCT
Move the registration table into the building a bit more. It was 28 degrees and there was a long line of us waiting to get in.
Ditto. I was fairly frozen sitting at that darned table helping with the wrist bands!
Old 03-04-2007 | 08:52 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Got yourself a draft there, eh? Chicken Soup for You!

When I went out that morning to get the paper and it was 27 and the Zamboni was getting started on my driveway, I knew I had to take the A4...
Old 03-05-2007 | 12:36 AM
volpenyc
Pro

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Geoffrey's presentation was good but it seemed like the 45 minute time allotment was too short, actually all the presenters seemed rushed. I kinda got the idea that everyone wanted to go into more detail but couldn't? Joel's talk was definitely the most entertaining even if he was a little harsh on the C4. And based on the turnout I'd say the location was great but the venue was horrible. Hopefuly next years event will take place somewhere (closer to the previous location ) that you can actually hear the presenters. Even if they had a PA system I'm not sure if Farnbacher is the place to hold something like this? It's a great advertisement for them but not so great for those attending. The dealership next door with the Group C cars and the Audi V10 and the F1 & Indy cars and the ... was also very cool.
That's not a dealer next door, it's someone's personal collection..seriously!

My friend and I tried to get in...we thought it was a museum (it is, but a museum for one)!

Quick Reply: Tech Tactics 2007