Sponsored by:

Tow vehicle question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 02:35 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Tow vehicle question...

Well, in the next year or so, I plan on purchasing a tow vehicle to use when I do DE's. (In a FEW years, I may to the club racing thing too!)

With a limited budget (Less than $10k), I feel I can get a tow vehicle and (for another $3-5k) an open trailer. I've thought about pickup trucks, SUVs, and vans.

So, my question: does anyone have any experience with conversion vans as tow vehicles? If I get a V8 conversion van, it should probably be able to tow 5000 lbs, and I would be able to save some $$ by staying at campgrounds instead of hotels. Most conversion vans have a bed, TV/VCR, and some have a fridge. Would this type of setup work?

Thanks,
-Zoltan.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:40 PM
eugene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z Man.

I have seen/known quite a few people at NNJR(over the years) use
Custom/Conversion vans for towing. Open and Enclosed trailers.

As far as i know they had no problems.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:29 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts
I did a lot of research into what type of tow vehicles are best, and of course there were a ton of opnions.

But from what I learned a conversion van with a v8 should work great. If you have an alumnium trailer it would work even better, but I have seen conversion vans towing a variety of trailers and all seemed to work quite well. It is a really good idea and agreat way to "save" money at a DE.

good luck.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:40 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Thanks for the replies! My wife was the one who suggested I look into conversion vans.

Now, I just gotta convince her I need one ASAP! For some strange reason, she feels that remodeling our kitchen is a higher priority than getting a tow vehicle. Can you imagine that!
-Zoltan.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:07 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's your problem - it's not a "tow vehicle", it's a "family camper". (must be a newlywed)
Old 06-13-2002, 12:53 PM
Z-man
Race Director

[quote]Originally posted by pig4bill:
<strong>There's your problem - it's not a "tow vehicle", it's a "family camper". (must be a newlywed)</strong><hr></blockquote>
Nope: been married 8 years! But I'm still falling in love with Kim more and more everyday...

-Z.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:51 AM
eugene
Racer

Mr. Z

You are a Lucky Man indeed.

Trending Topics

Old 06-16-2002, 12:36 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Z-man:
<strong>So, my question: does anyone have any experience with conversion vans as tow vehicles? If I get a V8 conversion van, it should probably be able to tow 5000 lbs, and I would be able to save some $$ by staying at campgrounds instead of hotels.</strong><hr></blockquote>

When I got my aluminum enclosed trailer last year, I started towing it with my van, a Ford E-250 cargo model (not a camper conversion) with the 302ci V-8. The trailer weighs 2400 lbs. as does the Porsche, and with tools, spares, etc., my overall tow weight was about 5700 lbs. I had the trailer built with a V-nose and 7' overall height (the same as the van), to reduce windage. It towed well on the flats, but going uphill, the small V-8 did not have enough power to pull even this modest load.

You would save a little weight going with an open trailer, but I would suggest getting the biggest V-8 available in your conversion van, as the extra accomodations of the "camper" equipment would probably equal the weight difference of an open trailer compared to my empty cargo van.

In your price range, I would look for the late-80s, early-90s Ford vans with the 460ci V-8, and a 250 (3/4-ton) vs. a 150 (1/2-ton) series. They were great engines with plenty of power and the the 3/4-ton has ample towing capacity, but they will suck fuel like crazy. Expect 6-8 mpg when towing. Ford went to the V-10 after about '93-94, and I have not heard a lot of good things about it's towing ability, especially low-end grunt. A lot of people lamented the demise of the 460.

I finally bailed on the van after considering a 460 conversion, and just bought an F-250 Powerstroke diesel pickup. I put a camper shell on the bed and sleep in it at the track, but the wife doesn't usually go with me, so YMMV. The good thing is I can pull any grade at 65 mph now, without any fear of overheating.

Good luck, whatever you decide,
TT

Old rig with the van and my friend George Taylor's 912 on the right.

New rig at Streets of Willow.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:22 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Thanks for the advise, Tom. I am surpised to hear the closed aluminum trailers weigh that little! So, if I go with Ford, I'll focus on the 250's instead of the lowly 150 series. Makes sense.

Thanks,
-Z.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:52 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Tom

I'm thinking of buying a track car, and as a result, a trailer and tow vehicle.

May I ask what length your trailer is?

Does it have tire storage inside and a workbench?

Thanks in advance.

Mike in Chi
Old 06-18-2002, 02:52 PM
C Streit
Advanced

Tom,

See you finally got those flares done! Looking good!
Old 06-20-2002, 08:46 PM
A Quiet Boom
Racer

Since you're in the market for used, I definately recommend the 460 engine. I tow 5500lbs (flatbed steel trailer and 3200 dragcar) with a shortbed F100 460 no problems at all, my route to the track includes a few steep hills as well as some long uphill stretches. Best advice however, be sure to add a tranny cooler, I burned out my first trans in 1/2 a season without one, but it's lasted 4+ years since I installed a cooler. Another side benefit for the van would be a place to keep your tools etc. if you decide on an open trailer.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:59 AM
Zeke
Advanced

"With a limited budget (Less than $10k), I feel I can get a tow vehicle and (for another $3-5k) an open trailer. I've thought about pickup trucks, SUVs, and vans."

Open trailers sell all day long used for $600. Get some room is the conversion to lock up your stuff.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:25 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish I could find a decent open trailer for $600. Or even $1000. None to be had around here in Charleston, SC.

Jim
Old 06-27-2002, 12:50 AM
A Quiet Boom
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Jim Bell:
<strong>I wish I could find a decent open trailer for $600. Or even $1000. None to be had around here in Charleston, SC.

Jim</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just a thought, consider a long distance sale. i believe Autotrader has a website that is searchable. I bought a tandem axle, electric brakes, flatbed open trailer for $700 about 6 years ago, I still see similar trailers in the same price range here in Ohio.

Quick Reply: Tow vehicle question...