Motec vs EFI Technology

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:37 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motec vs EFI Technology

Has anyone compared a Motec ECU vs EFI Technology ECU?

Has anyone compared Motec data acquisition vs EFI Technology acquisition?

Could not find an answer in search feature.

http://www.efitechnology.com

http://www.motec.com/home.htm

Thanks,
Old 01-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

AVOID EFI AT ALL COSTS! RUN, DON'T WALK, AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Veloce raptor,

Can you tell me why I should avoid EFI? PM me if you don't want to post.

Thanks,
Old 01-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

We had it on our GAC car, and it was the constant source of 90% of the unreliability of the car. About the only thing it didn't cause was our repeated clutch & pressure plate failures.

I do not have the time to type it all, but suffice to say that if we could have afforded what it would have taken to yank out all of the EFI crap & harnesses & replace with Motec, we would have done so in a New York Minute.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:02 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Are you confusing Data Logging / Acquisition with Engine Management?

You do not need to change your ECU (Engine Management System) in order to do Data Acquisition.

However, I have noticed a lot of people do not properly understand the Bosch Motronic ECU, and they are amongst the first to fit alternative ECUs. Most of the time, with proper knowledge, they would be better off reprogramming the Bosch Motronic unit.

For a road going car, the standard Motronics box has a number oif advantages, including the ability to stop the engine from hand grenading itself under most circumstances. Here in Europe, two year warranties from reputable tuners is the norm, this discorages them from discarding the stock ECU, and encourages them to improve their knowledge of how to program it.

R+C
Old 01-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

We used it for both Data and Engine Management. All I am saying is that I have direct experience with both systems. One operated flawlessly, and one operated the exact opposite.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:04 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Are you confusing Data Logging / Acquisition with Engine Management?

You do not need to change your ECU (Engine Management System) in order to do Data Acquisition.

However, I have noticed a lot of people do not properly understand the Bosch Motronic ECU, and they are amongst the first to fit alternative ECUs. Most of the time, with proper knowledge, they would be better off reprogramming the Bosch Motronic unit.

For a road going car, the standard Motronics box has a number oif advantages, including the ability to stop the engine from hand grenading itself under most circumstances. Here in Europe, two year warranties from reputable tuners is the norm, this discorages them from discarding the stock ECU, and encourages them to improve their knowledge of how to program it.

R+C
Nord,

Are you able to pull data from a bosch motronic ecu in a format downloadable to my computer? PM me on how to do that or how to buy that.
fatbillybob@yahoo.com
Old 01-06-2007, 06:38 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Nord,

Are you able to pull data from a bosch motronic ecu in a format downloadable to my computer? PM me on how to do that or how to buy that.
fatbillybob@yahoo.com
Talk to Uwe Ross - there are people using his equipment who are logging data in real time. The differences between what Audi and Porsche do to the Motronic systems are not great.

In a Porsche, it is easy to fit a Motec ADL or SDL (a more affordable unit designed for amateur racers and track day afficionados) and have it log data from sensors and the Bosch Motronic ECU. The data is logged by the ADL/SDL, it is obtained from the Motronic system, and directly from sensors, it has a considerable maths capability, but, unfortunately, is not an ideal platform for linear programming.

R+C
Old 01-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As long as the Bosch unit is a Motorsports unit 3.1 or 4.0 the MoTeC ADL/SDL will talk directly to it using CAN. I'm not aware of a template or communication method available on the 5.2 early Cup ECUs.

Quick Reply: Motec vs EFI Technology